Menu

Bike trailer or seat?

I love to ride my bike when possible instead of driving, and now that I have a toddler I need a way to haul her along with me. I want to buy either a bike trailer, or one of those seats that you attach right to the bike. Any opinions on which would be better? We live in a small town, so size won't matter so terribly. And yes, with the seat, I would get her a bike helmet. :)

We have a trailer that we used a lot when the girls were little. The great thing about a trailer is that you can also load it up with groceries :)

DH plans on taking a long-haul bike trip someday, and he's going to use the trailer for gear.

BTW, our trailer was a Chariot Cougar 2 (I know they have them at REI, and some nice bike shops, other places as well). Our model (it is 7 years old now) has a 100 pound capacity. It converted into a jogger, had swivel-style wheels that you could attach so you could use it for regular strolling (we rarely used this function because it was so big) or rickshaw; it even had a ski attachment so you could pull it rickshaw style while X-country skiing.

I vote trailer for flexibility.

Trailers are safer, hands down. If the bike falls, the trailer (and it's occupant) doesn't. They have room for toys and toddler extras. Trailers are great.

That said, I have a seat on my bike. My toddler hated the trailer. She really likes riding behind me on the bike, though.

:)

I agree that the trailer is much safer than the seat on the bike. Most trailers I've seen, including the one I use, have some type of universal joint at the attachment point. This joint allows the trailer to stay upright even if the bike is laid down or falls over.

Additionally, the extra weight of the seat on the bike and the child has to make the handling characteristics of the bike different.

If you get a trailer, I would try to make it one that has some type of "structure" over the child's head. Ours has sides that fold up with cross braces across the top. In the event the trailer did somehow flip onto to its side or top, the child's head wouldn't hit the ground. Even with this protective structure, we still made our kids wear helmets in the trailer at all times.

Another benefit to having the trailer with a structure is that they generally have some type of windscreen. This windscreen will help to keep the kids from getting hit with rocks and debris thrown up by the rear wheel of the bike. Ours has a clear windscreen that rolls up with a regular screen behind that. The regular screen allows air through but stops the flying objects.

There are several good brands with Burley being near or at the top. Most fold up to make them easily transportable. Ours is older and the frame is regular steel. It's kind of heavy, but not too bad. I would think that most of the new ones would be aluminum.

Regardless of material they all feel like a big anchor if you're going uphill. On flat ground or downhill they're not too bad. I've pulled two kids in ours when their combined weights were probably 70 - 80 pounds. It wasn't too bad on the flats, but quite a workout when there was any substantial incline.

Okay, I'll be the odd duck. I had a seat for years ~ and I loved it, as did both kids. I was never comfortable with the trailers because I didn't like the idea of the kid trailing on the ground, low behind me. I tried one out once and it just did. not. feel. right. I stuck with the seat. :)

ETA: also, I had a mirror and could SEE whichever child was in the seat.. and they were close enough for conversation... or to give me orders like "ring the bell!" :laugh: ...ds11 is blind and I was always describing where we were riding, warning of big bumps/curbs/etc, chatting away..... another reason I didn't want a trailer.

Edited by fivetails

BTW, our trailer was a Chariot Cougar 2 (I know they have them at REI, and some nice bike shops, other places as well). Our model (it is 7 years old now) has a 100 pound capacity. It converted into a jogger, had swivel-style wheels that you could attach so you could use it for regular strolling (we rarely used this function because it was so big) or rickshaw; it even had a ski attachment so you could pull it rickshaw style while X-country skiing.

:iagree:The Chariot is the BEST trailer/stroller/hiker around. Quite expensive, but worth every penny. I know I am going to cry when we have to sell ours. We don't use it daily, but for the trips to Disney, festivals, etc. it can't be beat!

They outgrow the seat so much faster than the trailer.

After spending the $100 on the seat, we had to turn around a two years later and get a trailer because he was just too big for the seat.

When we'd go for long rides at my mom's plantation it was nice to be able to take books and his tape player and lunch and bottles of water and towels incase we stopped at the beach. Also great for riding to the pool and hauling towels and things.