Menu

My head is swimming...Please pick my grammar!

thowell

Ok, I have everything else figured out but I cant chose a grammar for my soon to be 5th grader. She has used Abeka until 3rd grade. This year (4th) we started HS and she has been using the Scott Foresman free one. It has given her a good basic understanding of the main parts of speech but I would like something a little deeper for next year. I am on a tight budget so MCT is not an option. What else rates up there ????

Rod & Staff-5 Following the Plan

We use the student textbook, teacher's manual, worksheets, and tests. But you could easily just use the teacher's manual and student text. For us, R&S has been effective, time-efficient, user-friendly, and easy on the pocketbook.

:iagree:

Good solid Grammar program for a low price:

Rod & Staff - we love it!

You can call and they will walk you thru the scope and sequence to see what level would be a good fit. I'd say, if your dc knows the parts of speech, go for grade 4 or above.

We use Graded Lessons In English.....excellent grammar book (used in the late 1800's and early 1900's), meant to be used for 2 years, free on google books. I only require bite sized pieces of the lessons to be done alone....we normally do grammar orally. I can definitely see his lightbulb come on when he "gets it".

A couple of comments about my understanding of Rod & Staff versus CLE:

Both are Mennonite and include similar content.

Rod & Staff:

Includes oral exercises to be completed with the parent

Textbook + workbook

Mastery-style - meaning stays on one topic and does not spiral

CLE:

Independent - written to the student

All workbooks (excellent for a Perfect Paula)

Spiral method (like A Beka) so continually reviews previous topics

I believe both are highly recommended, it just depends on what style works for each child - does the child prefer spiral method or mastery method and does the child prefer to work independently or with a parent?

My 2 cents. :)