Menu

Getting myself all muddled (1st Grade Science!)

Xuzi

I'm trying to write up an outline of things I'd like to cover with DD during her first grade year (and first year homeschooling!) and I'm getting myself all fuddled over how to cover the Animal Kingdom, as recommended in WTM.

How did you teach about the Animal Kingdom? Did you go by animal type (mammals, reptiles, insects, birds, etc.) or by where they live (savannah, jungle, ocean, forrest, etc.)??

I know when she's in HS it won't really matter which way I did it :tongue_smilie:but if you did it one of those ways, how did it go? Did you end up switching because it was easier to go by animal type than by where they live, or vise versa? Or did your kid (and likely mine) not even care? :lol:

:lol: I figured I was making a mountain out of a mole hill. :lol: I'm just treading into some very uncharted territory for myself and for my family, and I'm going into hyperdrive trying to make sure nobody (read: my family) can say I'm slacking off.

I'm SO glad I found this message board. I'll probably have a few other "mountains" to post about before we even get to our first day of homeschool. :tongue_smilie:

Here's how I arranged our Biology study for first grade..

Animals (20 weeks)

Week 1: Animal Lives

Week 2: Habitats (Forests, Grasslands, Desert, Tundra)

Week 3-20 Animal Study (54 animals)

• Mammals—8 weeks
  • Birds—4 weeks
  • Reptiles & Amphibians—2 weeks
  • Fish—1 week
  • Invertebrates—3 weeks

Human Body (10 weeks)

• Week 1—Basic Building Blocks
  • Week 2—Skeletal System
  • Week 3—Muscular System
  • Week 4—Nervous System
  • Week 5—Senses
  • Week 6—Cirulatory System
  • Week 7—Respiratory System
  • Week 8—Digestive System
  • Week 9—Urinary & Reproductive Systems
  • Week 10—Immune System

Plants (6 weeks)

• Week 1—leaves
  • Week 2—flowers
  • Week 3—fruit/seeds
  • Week 4—nuts/cones/spores
  • Week 5—stems
  • Week 6—roots/review of parts

Hope that gives you an idea of how it can be done. Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling!

Here's how I arranged our Biology study for first grade..

Animals (20 weeks)

Week 1: Animal Lives

Week 2: Habitats (Forests, Grasslands, Desert, Tundra)

Week 3-20 Animal Study (54 animals)

• Mammals—8 weeks

• Birds—4 weeks

• Reptiles & Amphibians—2 weeks

• Fish—1 week

• Invertebrates—3 weeks

Human Body (10 weeks)

• Week 1—Basic Building Blocks

• Week 2—Skeletal System

• Week 3—Muscular System

• Week 4—Nervous System

• Week 5—Senses

• Week 6—Cirulatory System

• Week 7—Respiratory System

• Week 8—Digestive System

• Week 9—Urinary & Reproductive Systems

• Week 10—Immune System

Plants (6 weeks)

• Week 1—leaves

• Week 2—flowers

• Week 3—fruit/seeds

• Week 4—nuts/cones/spores

• Week 5—stems

• Week 6—roots/review of parts

Hope that gives you an idea of how it can be done. Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling!

Ah, this isn't that different from what I was coming up with, except that you have the habitat study at the beginning. I LIKE that! I'm stealing this. :lol:

I have the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia for a "spine" plus some encyclopedias specifically on animals (don't know the publishers, but they were on the discount rack at Borders), and some Scholastic books on life cycles, and the human body, and a bunch of Magic School Bus and Magic Tree House books. I'm trying to make it fun, but structured (the structure is mainly for my OWN benefit, so that I feel like we're making measured progress).

Ah, this isn't that different from what I was coming up with, except that you have the habitat study at the beginning. I LIKE that! I'm stealing this. :lol:

I have the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia for a "spine" plus some encyclopedias specifically on animals (don't know the publishers, but they were on the discount rack at Borders), and some Scholastic books on life cycles, and the human body, and a bunch of Magic School Bus and Magic Tree House books. I'm trying to make it fun, but structured (the structure is mainly for my OWN benefit, so that I feel like we're making measured progress).

If you're going to do something that similar you should seriously just buy her curriculum. It's super cheap IMO. Good luck!

This year with my 4 and 6 yo we kept it real simple. Getting ideas from National Geographic we did an animal of the week. Each animal has a printable page of info but the best part is their sounds. I really recommend checking that out. My kids LOVE listening to the animal sounds. Next week we are starting a dinosaur unit study. Then we will do the human body with My Body. They get to make a life size model and put organs into it - very cool.:001_smile:

I would ditto the idea of just buying Elemental Science from Paige:D... she has done all our hard work for us... science is getting done in our house and the kids love it! I switched from another program 1/2 way through Biology and I'm sad I didn't find ES sooner for our animal study... I think the kids would have retained a lot more had we done it with ES to begin with. My dd just took her standardized test and for all the time we spent on insects she answered they have 4 legs! GRRRRRRRRR!:banghead:

My hubby is going to hate me for buying more curriculum (I told him Science was the one I was probably just going to "wing" with books from the library :lol: ) but the Elemental Science certainly does look interesting! I never would have thought of using salt and cardboard to show my child how a camel's foot works! :lol:

I am planning on doing the following for my bio studies.

Cover the following topics as an intro: putting things into categories, living versus non-living, and biomes.

Then, I will start with animal studies: invertebrates (sponges, mollusks, echinoderms, arthropods), vertebrates (fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals).

Next will be the section on humans: I haven't decided if it is better to just go through the systems or to divy this up based on the 5 sense. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Finally plants: algae and fungi, ferns and mosses, cone-bearing plants, and flowering plants

Luckily I have some time to put this together since I have only completed my invertebrate lesson plans. :glare: Let me know if you would like me to PM you with a sample of my plans, although I have to admit, they are rather ambitious since we are super science lovers. No telling how little will actually be done.

HTH.