Menu

Inspired by mommy7...could you please help *my* schedule?

:lol:

I need help figuring out what I can trim or consolidate or something. I asked my dh for suggestions, and he was no help LOL.

First some pertinent info:

I have 7 kids: almost 13, 11, 9, 7, 5, 2, and 2 months. The older 5 are in 7th, 5th, 4th, 1st, and K. The 2mo had issues nursing, and between that and a thyroid condition, my milk supply is in the toilet. Consequently I pump exclusively and feed him a bottle.

So here is my schedule:

5:30 am - feed 2mo

6 am - pump

6:30 am - exercise (at least I have a slot for it anyway:lol:)

7 am - shower/dress

7:30 am - eat breakfast/read Bible

8 am - pump

8:30 am - Bible time with everyone, using Bible Study Guide for All Ages

9 am - the phonics/Bible portion of MFW 1st with 7yo, and then WWE

9:30 am - the phonics/math portion of MFW K with 5yo

10 am - work with the 11yo - WWE, spelling when necessary (we use Megawords), read aloud to me once a week, anything else he needs help with, go over corrections from the day before

10:30 am - pump

11 am - work with the almost 13yo (same stuff as with the 11yo, except usually he needs more help with stuff)

11:45 am - prepare lunch

12:15 pm - eat lunch

12:45 pm - clean up lunch

1 pm - pump

1:30 pm - work with the 9yo (same stuff as the 11yo and 12yo, but also AAS)

2 pm - MFW ECC with 12yo, 11yo, and 9yo (only doing the geography and science readings right now...no activities really, and we don't do the copywork, dictation, Bible, etc.)

2:30 pm - feed 2mo while finishing up ECC (others feed him at other times during the day...he hasn't gone all morning without eating LOL)

3 pm - pump

3:30 pm - prepare for school for the next day (corrections, record-keeping, making sure the right pages are in their folders, etc.)

4:30 pm - inspect chores

5 pm - pump

5:30 pm - prepare supper

6:30 pm - supper

7:15 pm - clean up supper

7:30 pm - pump

8 pm - read our MFW read aloud aloud LOL

8:30 pm - feed 2mo

9 pm - finish prepping for school if needed (which is often the case since I'm interrupted during the earlier time)

9:30 pm - pump off and on for an hour

10:30 pm - feed 2mo if dh isn't home or awake...if he is then go to bed while he feeds him

Then I am supposed to pump around 2:30 am.

If my supply ever catches up with what the baby needs (which I'm not very optimistic about, due to my thyroid issues), I won't need to pump QUITE as often. But in the meantime we have really scaled back a lot on school. Our Bible time normally takes 45 minutes. I've been skipping some portions so we can cut it down to 30 minutes. I've also cut out the activities, experiments, etc. for geography/science.

I have pretty much zero margin, which becomes very clear when we get the slightest bit off. I also hate feeling like I'm rushing through the day.

I know one problem area is lunch. I see people who prepare, eat, and clean up in 30 minutes. I, for the life of me, cannot figure out HOW! I don't prepare a 5-course meal or anything, but even just heating up soup and getting everything together takes 15-30 minutes. Heck, even if we just do LEFTOVERS it takes about 20 minutes to heat up everyone's food!

Anyway...can anyone see anything that sticks out, either with school time or with non-school time?

You made me tired just reading that! ;)

I really am no expert at time management so take this for what it's worth... I see pumping taking 4.5 hours of your time during the day. I know that bfing is best, however that's a lot of time to be tied up with pumping! How "short term" is the pumping? If it's something very short term you might be able to handle it by just grinning and bearing, but long term... it just might not be worth it. Think of how much time you'd gain by formula feeding... I'm not trying to say your infant isn't important, however with everything else on your plate.... this might be something that could be given up? Again, I hope this is coming across right... I don't mean to tell you how to feed your child, but this is one thing that takes up a lot of time for you!

:grouphug: As you try to figure out life with a new little one! That first year is such a transition for everyone! I admire you ladies who can hs and take care of little newborns.... I could not have done it!

You made me tired just reading that! ;)

I'm glad it's not just me!:lol:

I really am no expert at time management so take this for what it's worth... I see pumping taking 4.5 hours of your time during the day. I know that bfing is best, however that's a lot of time to be tied up with pumping! How "short term" is the pumping? If it's something very short term you might be able to handle it by just grinning and bearing, but long term... it just might not be worth it. Think of how much time you'd gain by formula feeding... I'm not trying to say your infant isn't important, however with everything else on your plate.... this might be something that could be given up? Again, I hope this is coming across right... I don't mean to tell you how to feed your child, but this is one thing that takes up a lot of time for you!

I've pondered that very thing, but I'm somewhat of a breastmilk nazi LOL, so just the fact that I'm having to supplement with formula is HUGE.;) I HOPE HOPE HOPE that allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll this pumping is short-term. We're trying to get my thyroid meds straightened out, but so far we're not having a whole lot of luck, which is apparent in my supply. As we adjust them though I'm hoping to be able to drop a pump or two...at least to only pump as often as the baby actually eats.;)

The one good thing is that if I absolutely HAVE to, I can do some school with kids while I pump. I prefer not to since I've got all these tubes and such attached to me LOL. But when we're off schedule, it IS possible, just not ideal. In a couple months I plan to get a pump that I can actually walk around with. That will make things much easier.:D

Kirstin,

I responded to Mommy7's thread, but my response here is going to be different. Your academics seem to be what is needed for your dc.

First,:grouphug:, I have BTDT with the nursing issues and round the clock pumping. It can be exhausting. You probably need to go get a massage. Give me your dh's email address and I'll tell him.

When my baby had feeding problems we instituted "Lunch Buddies". Dc13 fixes lunch for self, mom, and toddler; Dc 11 fixes lunch for self and 7yo; Dc 9 fixes lunch for self and 5yo. Dc 9 & 11 clean the kitchen. "Lunch Buddies" was so wonderful we still do it .....6 years later.

Supper should be cleaned up by everyone EXCEPT you. Feeding a baby with nursing issues is a FULL TIME JOB.

13yo, 11yo and Dad can share the MFW read aloud in the evening. You can listen while you feed the baby. Whoever is not reading aloud can fold laundry while they listen.

Also, don't get so involved in pumping that you don't enjoy snuggling and feeding the baby yourself. I know I began to resent it when my dh and dd's got to do the bottle feeding while I had to be alone pumping. A LC encouraged me to put baby to breast every time I pumped. She said I needed the bonding time as much as the baby needed the milk. I was exhausted and had absolutely no margin in my schedule. That baby ended up nursing 18 months after her first 10 weeks of nursing issues. Hopefully those issues will resolve soon.

Blessings,

Leanna

For me as a bf'ing mama myself...I have to wear my lil man and nurse him while doing lessons. Anyway I wanted to say that for me I noticed you do alot of similar things with each individual..Is there anyway you can pull the older ones together and do some lessons together with them but use tools for each level for them? Kind of like a classroom setting but go around helping each one with what they need but able to teach similar lessons...for example my First Grader and K'er are doing the same history and science. When it's time for those lessons, they do it together and activities together, for some of the science experiments they do different projects but at the same time. Make sense?

I only have 3 kids and only 2 currently of school age but here is an example of our school day. Maybe it will be of SOME help. I'm hoping it will somewhat. Now we do have days that we begin 1-1.5 hours sooner! meaning we're done sooner than listed..but this is an average day.

P.S. Keep up the pumping, it will pay off!!

9am: School begins.

• First Grader begins reading lesson
  • K'er begins penmanship

9:30am: Switch.

• First Grader penmanship
  • K'er begins reading lesson

10:00am: History begins.

• First Grader & K'er listen, participate and finish together

10:45am: Snack.

11:00am: Science begins.

• First Grader & K'er listen, participate and finish together

11:45am: Break

• Both get 15min break of play, no tv.

12:00pm: Lunch

12:30pm: School back in session.

• First Grader begins Math
  • K'er colors educational pages *if she gets done early, she gets to play quietly until we're ready to begin on her lesson next*

1:15pm: Switch

• K'er beings Math
  • First Grader begins "I Can Draw" *if she gets done early, she gets to play quietly until we're ready to begin on her lesson next*

2:00pm: Dismissal

3:00pm: Chores begin.

4:00pm: Chores need to be complete. Mama begins her final house tidies and begins dinner prep.

5:00pm: Begin dinner.

6:00pm: Serve dinner.

6:45pm: Clean up kitchen.

7:00pm: Fold any last minute laundry loads.

7:30pm: Bath time for kids.

8:30pm: Story time.

9:00pm: Bedtime snuggles, tuck in's and silly songs.

10:00pm: Baby bedtime. Mama too!

Edited by mamaofblessings

First,:grouphug:, I have BTDT with the nursing issues and round the clock pumping. It can be exhausting. You probably need to go get a massage. Give me your dh's email address and I'll tell him.

Amen! LOL! My dh just returned yesterday from a 2-week trip to Guam and Hawaii:001_huh:, and when he asked me what I wanted for a souvenir, I told him A NIGHT ALONE IN A HOTEL. I think he thinks I was kidding.;)

When my baby had feeding problems we instituted "Lunch Buddies". Dc13 fixes lunch for self, mom, and toddler; Dc 11 fixes lunch for self and 7yo; Dc 9 fixes lunch for self and 5yo. Dc 9 & 11 clean the kitchen. "Lunch Buddies" was so wonderful we still do it .....6 years later.
So is everyone having something different then? How does that work out foodwise? Is it just sandwiches or whatever, or does something actually get cooked?

Supper should be cleaned up by everyone EXCEPT you. Feeding a baby with nursing issues is a FULL TIME JOB.

Well, a child helps me. All I do is load the dishwasher (which I'm sort of anal about LOL) and put away the food. The child clears and cleans the table.

13yo, 11yo and Dad can share the MFW read aloud in the evening. You can listen while you feed the baby. Whoever is not reading aloud can fold laundry while they listen.
Unfortunately Dad can't be counted on to actually be there, and the 13yo and 11yo do not read well enough for that.:tongue_smilie: I actually don't mind...I like reading aloud.:001_smile: I must say I like the laundry idea though!:D

Also, don't get so involved in pumping that you don't enjoy snuggling and feeding the baby yourself. I know I began to resent it when my dh and dd's got to do the bottle feeding while I had to be alone pumping. A LC encouraged me to put baby to breast every time I pumped. She said I needed the bonding time as much as the baby needed the milk. I was exhausted and had absolutely no margin in my schedule. That baby ended up nursing 18 months after her first 10 weeks of nursing issues. Hopefully those issues will resolve soon.

I don't intend to try to actually breastfeed him. (I was thrilled to BITS when my 2yo weaned in the fall.;)) But you're exactly right about making sure that I'm actually getting time with him. I try to make sure that I feed him the most.:D But yes, I can definitely understand how easy it would be to fall into that!!!

For me as a bf'ing mama myself...I have to wear my lil man and nurse him while doing lessons.

Yep, that's what I've done with my others. I have to admit I'm greatly enjoying NOT doing that this time!:lol: When I look at my schedule now I think of what it "could have been" if I were actually breastfeeding. It'd be even worse LOL!

Anyway I wanted to say that for me I noticed you do alot of similar things with each individual..Is there anyway you can pull the older ones together and do some lessons together with them but use tools for each level for them? Kind of like a classroom setting but go around helping each one with what they need but able to teach similar lessons...for example my First Grader and K'er are doing the same history and science. When it's time for those lessons, they do it together and activities together, for some of the science experiments they do different projects but at the same time. Make sense?

Yes, and that's what we used to do. It didn't work very well LOL. For the things that they actually do do the same (like MFW, Bible, etc.), I do combine. But, for example, the WWE...they all read a different passage (I pull their passages from the books they are reading for literature) and then narrate it to me. We used to use the WWE workbooks, so they'd read the same passage, but since they all still had to narrate to me, it's not possible to do together that way either. So I have them separated for things they are on different levels on or things that have to be done separately (narration, etc.), but for anything I combine, I definitely do.:D

P.S. Keep up the pumping, it will pay off!!

I sure hope so! I've NEVER had supply trouble like this. Although my babies have always nursed like champs, and I've never had issues with my thyroid meds like this. I'm fighting HARD for my 23 oz. a day ROFLOL!

Both get 15min break of play, no tv.

Do you have trouble reining them back in? Or does it help that it's BEFORE lunch and not after? I'd love to have my kids have a short recess during their day, but anytime I've given them one it has been nigh impossible to get them to get back to work. I have no idea how building schools do it! LOL

Okay, I know you didn't ask for this, but if you're really serious about getting your supply up, you might want to look into a Supplemental Nursing System. It does add more work temporarily, but it very well could help you eliminate pumping altogether. A pump is fine to collect milk, but you really need to be getting the stimulation of actual nursing and skin-to-skin contact to get your supply up. Not only that, but with all the bottle feeding you may have a difficult time getting the baby to latch on again if you do get the supply up. I have severe thyroid issues (I'm on a total replacement now), but I've managed to exclusively nurse all 5. Try not to get discouraged because of that. It can be done, and you can do it. I know that its exhausting to have to pump and then feed, but it can help to keep reminding yourself of why you chose to breastfeed. I really hope you're able to wean off the pump and soon for your sake! If you're interested, there are also herbs you can take to increase your supply. and some meds.

Now, that doesn't address your time issue, which is what you really asked about, so let me look there and see what I can see.

Others have already addressed your lunch questions. My 12 & 10 year old take turns making lunch. They may not be as healthy of a lunch as I would make, but I can't worry about that at this stage. They make mac&cheese, sandwiches, quesadillas, leftovers, or sometimes a frozen Bertolli's. That helps my sanity tremendously, because I can work with our almost 5 year old while they do that. The other thing we do is once a month cooking, so I don't have to worry about supper at all. I pull it out in the AM, let it thaw, and bake it in the PM. It takes about 5 minutes, and I'll usually add a salad of bagged mixed greens. It really makes a big difference when I can do the once a month cooking. When I can't, I try to double up recipes and freeze half. It doesn't take much more effort to double the batch, and I get a whole other meal out of it.

I hope I haven't overstepped by offering unsolicited nursing advice, but its a passion of mine, right up there with homeschooling. I hope you're able to find a schedule that works for your family.

I praise you for starters. Seven amazing blessings, I just love the sound of that. Am I nuts? :lol:

Bf'ing for me wasn't an issue. I can't imagine what you're struggling with. This time around I had a reflux baby and they say that reflux is very rare in breastfed babies and my lil man h ad one of the worst cases, it was horrible. And during that time I shut down the school and now I'm regretting that decision as we're having to play BIG TIME catch up...but it was for the best....but it did put the kids a tad behind of schedule. The joy of homeschooling though is to do as little or much as needed and thankfully we're schooling year round so they will back in the game full force and ready level headed when next year approaches and new books are getting cracked open. :D

I noticed that when I gave them several breaks, getting them to focus or bring myself to get back on track was far more difficult. So now I am sure that the break happens BEFORE lunch and I set a timer. Once that timer goes off they are heading back..but in the beginning I had to go get them and if they didn't come or were fussy about it, they would begin to lose privelages..such as tv time and they'd get another chore added to their list. They have 1 hour of free time after school is dismissed, however no tv time until chores are complete. They can pick to do them right after dismissal and earn their tv time or they can wait until I instruct they begin them with is 1 hour after dissmissal. If they were back at the school area once the break was up and they were dragging, fussing and carrying on and weren't focusing they were sent to sit near the wall reading a book to themselves until they were ready to start and I'd go on with the other child or they'd both sit until they were ready to focus and I'd do housechores. I didn't scream, fuss or get upset. It's their choice and once I let them know that they didn't take long to focus. They know in this house it's....SCHOOL, CHORES, FREE TIME! In that order. :D

As for babywearing. I love it. I really do. I wore all my children. However wearing the baby boy when he's NOT nursing or NOT sleepy can be NOT so fun ... ugh... he wants to grab pages, books, markers, hair..anything that will drag my attention away from school. I am really looking forward to the age he can play with playdough without eating it near us, instead of having to either be worn, in a door jumper or held...I need my concentration to teach and many days I'm reading and although the children get it...I'm lost...:p

Edited by mamaofblessings

Okay, I know you didn't ask for this, but if you're really serious about getting your supply up, you might want to look into a Supplemental Nursing System. It does add more work temporarily, but it very well could help you eliminate pumping altogether. A pump is fine to collect milk, but you really need to be getting the stimulation of actual nursing and skin-to-skin contact to get your supply up. Not only that, but with all the bottle feeding you may have a difficult time getting the baby to latch on again if you do get the supply up. I have severe thyroid issues (I'm on a total replacement now), but I've managed to exclusively nurse all 5. Try not to get discouraged because of that. It can be done, and you can do it. I know that its exhausting to have to pump and then feed, but it can help to keep reminding yourself of why you chose to breastfeed. I really hope you're able to wean off the pump and soon for your sake! If you're interested, there are also herbs you can take to increase your supply. and some meds.

HE is one of the main reasons my supply is so bad. Prior to pumping my supply was about half of what it is now. :001_huh: If I were to rely on him for stimulation, I might as well hang it up totally. I don't intend to try to get him to latch on unless he just all of a sudden seems to take an interest (which I'm fine with if he doesn't). I've been taking a whole slew of herbs...I'm not sure they have been doing very much though. According to my LC I'm doing everything "right" - she suspects that the thyroid is the main issue.

I'm REALLY OK with him not nursing directly. I've never really enjoyed it...like I said I was so glad when my 2yo weaned a few months ago LOL. But I know that formula pales in comparison, so that's why I've had some kid attached to me for the past 11.5 years straight LOL.

Others have already addressed your lunch questions. My 12 & 10 year old take turns making lunch. They may not be as healthy of a lunch as I would make, but I can't worry about that at this stage. They make mac&cheese, sandwiches, quesadillas, leftovers, or sometimes a frozen Bertolli's. That helps my sanity tremendously, because I can work with our almost 5 year old while they do that.

I'll have to ponder this. My almost 13yo has a FULL school schedule, so I don't think he could really do it. But perhaps my 11yo could do something. I'm sure my 9yo could. Cooking things would be the issue - she can't reach LOL! But maybe sandwiches or something simple that doesn't require cooking. Although now that I think about it...she makes soup and eggs for herself...hmmmmmmm. Maybe she could! Oven stuff probably wouldn't be possible (I think she's scared of it LOL). But my oldest can do oven stuff. Maybe she could prepare something and he could put it in/take it out of the oven.

The other thing we do is once a month cooking, so I don't have to worry about supper at all. I pull it out in the AM, let it thaw, and bake it in the PM.

Wow, how do you get it to thaw so quickly? I used to do OAMC, but it always took days and days to thaw (and even then it was still frozen in the middle!). Do share your secret!!!

So I have them separated for things they are on different levels on or things that have to be done separately (narration, etc.), but for anything I combine, I definitely do.

Why do they have to be separated for narration? I have all my kids narrate together usually. Either we do it as a group discussion and come up with a group narration and they all copy the group narration or I point different narration questions at different kids for the same passage. One child will narrate to me on the plot, one on a character, one on setting, one on summarizing the story.....there are tons of different ways to narrate and you can customize the question to each child's ability but you only have to read one passage. Here's a list of different narration questions you can use.

I don't have any advice but wanted to say I was a pumping mama myself with all six dc. I tried with all of them to nurse but it never happened. Very frustrating:glare:. ((hugs)):grouphug:

Wow, all 6! You rock! How long did you pump with them? My ULTIMATE goal is 2 years, but I know I need shorter term goals in order to actually get there. So right now I'm shooting for 6 months. I just hope I can actually match what he's taking in by then!

Why do they have to be separated for narration? I have all my kids narrate together usually. Either we do it as a group discussion and come up with a group narration and they all copy the group narration or I point different narration questions at different kids for the same passage. One child will narrate to me on the plot, one on a character, one on setting, one on summarizing the story.....there are tons of different ways to narrate and you can customize the question to each child's ability but you only have to read one passage. Here's a list of different narration questions you can use.

The WWE narrations are (at this point anyway) to be 2-3 sentence summaries of the passage they read. The point is for the child to summarize it in their head and then put those thoughts together, in a step to getting his thoughts down on paper.

Unless, of course, I've completely missed something when it comes to WWE. It's VERY possible!:lol:

Oh, and we are one of those families that can make, eat and clean up lunch in 30 minutes, give or take.

Soup only takes about 5 minutes to heat. I usually throw it on as we are finishing up the lesson prior to lunch. Grilled cheese only takes about 10 minutes. Kids help butter bread and keep the sandwiches flipping. Quesadillas are even easier than grilled cheese. Mac n Cheese is easy to get started just prior to lunch time. Baked potatoes can be thrown in the oven during morning break and be ready at lunch time. Pizza or anything else that is baked can be thrown in the oven while we are switching lessons and timed to be ready at lunch time.

But my favorite time saver is packed lunches. Each of my kids has a lunch box and 3 -4 times a week they get packed lunches. I pack them in the morning and they pull out their lunch boxes at lunch time. I keep it fairly simple; ham, turkey or PBJ sandwich, sliced veggies with ranch dressing to dip, fresh fruit, a treat of some kind (granola bar, cookie, snack cake, fruit roll up....) and a drink. After pizza, packed lunches are their favorite. :lol: Clean up is easy too since most everything is just thrown away. But it's great to start our school day knowing that lunch is already made and ready to eat. I slice up veggies in mass quanitities on the weekend so I just have to scoop a handful into a baggie for them. Fruits are generally packed whole. The only thing I have to "make" in the morning is the sandwiches. I normally do this before the kids are up but you could get older to kids to help with this if you wanted or needed to. ;)

The WWE narrations are (at this point anyway) to be 2-3 sentence summaries of the passage they read. The point is for the child to summarize it in their head and then put those thoughts together, in a step to getting his thoughts down on paper.

Unless, of course, I've completely missed something when it comes to WWE. It's VERY possible!:lol:

I'm using WWE as well, volumes 1 and 2, I guess I just take more liberties with it. :lol: I just adjust it to make it work for me. If I tried to do separate narrations for every kid every time, I'd lose my mind. :lol: Alot of the narration passages I've come across so far just want them to narrate a summary and copy it or write it if they are able. We just narrate as a group and then they both copy the same narration that they worked together to build. Or sometimes I just deviate a little and instead of summarizing I have them narrate something else about the passage so they both have different narrations. It's all about making it work for you. ;)

Oh, and we are one of those families that can make, eat and clean up lunch in 30 minutes, give or take.

Soup only takes about 5 minutes to heat. I usually throw it on as we are finishing up the lesson prior to lunch. Grilled cheese only takes about 10 minutes. Kids help butter bread and keep the sandwiches flipping. Quesadillas are even easier than grilled cheese. Mac n Cheese is easy to get started just prior to lunch time. Baked potatoes can be thrown in the oven during morning break and be ready at lunch time. Pizza or anything else that is baked can be thrown in the oven while we are switching lessons and timed to be ready at lunch time.

But my favorite time saver is packed lunches. Each of my kids has a lunch box and 3 -4 times a week they get packed lunches. I pack them in the morning and they pull out their lunch boxes at lunch time. I keep it fairly simple; ham, turkey or PBJ sandwich, sliced veggies with ranch dressing to dip, fresh fruit, a treat of some kind (granola bar, cookie, snack cake, fruit roll up....) and a drink. After pizza, packed lunches are their favorite. :lol: Clean up is easy too since most everything is just thrown away. But it's great to start our school day knowing that lunch is already made and ready to eat. I slice up veggies in mass quanitities on the weekend so I just have to scoop a handful into a baggie for them. Fruits are generally packed whole. The only thing I have to "make" in the morning is the sandwiches. I normally do this before the kids are up but you could get older to kids to help with this if you wanted or needed to. ;)

I honestly have considered the lunchbox idea from time to time, but I thought it might be too "schoolish.":lol: I think it'd be fun for them.

Do share how you get your quesadillas to cook in 10 min. or less!!! I made those for lunch just today, and it took like 30 minutes to make all 8 (dh too LOL). I can only make 4 at a time on our griddles (and it takes up the whole stove).

I'm beginning to think that the laws of physics must be different in my kitchen or something LOL...it seems that whatever cooks in a certain amount of time elsewhere takes twice as long (just to COOK or heat up) in my kitchen.:tongue_smilie:

Oh my kids love lunch box lunches. It started out as something I did on errand days to avoid eating out at fast food places and they liked it so much we started doing it at home too. When the weather is nice we take it outside and have a picnic. :D I don't even have to get fancy with it by packing creative leftovers, the novelty of the lunch box is enough. :lol: I've been doing this since my oldest was in 1st grade or so and the novelty still hasn't worn off. ;)

I cook quesadillas one at a time in a skillet, burner set to medium high, when the skillet is hot (takes less than 5 minutes) drop the tortilla into the dry pan, quickly sprinkle with cheese, wait an minute or two just until the cheese starts to melt, fold in half, press with the turner and they are done. It doesn't take more than 1.5 - 2 minutes to cook one quesadilla. The skillet has to be hot and you have to be quick. They will burn if you aren't quick. They are lightly crisp on the outside and cheesy on the inside when they are done. We aren't fancy with ours. It's just cheese in a tortilla and we typically have it with leftover tortilla soup heated in the microwave while either oldest ds or I cook the quesadillas. Oh, don't pile on the cheese, a thin sprinkling is all we ever put on, just enough so that every bite is cheesy but it doesn't take forever to melt. ;)

I'm using WWE as well, volumes 1 and 2, I guess I just take more liberties with it. :lol: I just adjust it to make it work for me. If I tried to do separate narrations for every kid every time, I'd lose my mind. :lol: Alot of the narration passages I've come across so far just want them to narrate a summary and copy it or write it if they are able. We just narrate as a group and then they both copy the same narration that they worked together to build. Or sometimes I just deviate a little and instead of summarizing I have them narrate something else about the passage so they both have different narrations. It's all about making it work for you. ;)

Hmmmmm. I wonder how I might be able to do that with the passage they read themselves (which is what they are doing now in WWE 3). I no longer read TO them. I'll have to ponder that!

the novelty of the lunch box is enough. :lol:

That's what I picture here too! Even with my 12yo.:lol:

I cook quesadillas one at a time in a skillet, burner set to medium high, when the skillet is hot (takes less than 5 minutes) drop the tortilla into the dry pan, quickly sprinkle with cheese, wait an minute or two just until the cheese starts to melt, fold in half, press with the turner and they are done. It doesn't take more than 1.5 - 2 minutes to cook one quesadilla. The skillet has to be hot and you have to be quick. They will burn if you aren't quick. They are lightly crisp on the outside and cheesy on the inside when they are done. We aren't fancy with ours. It's just cheese in a tortilla and we typically have it with leftover tortilla soup heated in the microwave while either oldest ds or I cook the quesadillas. Oh, don't pile on the cheese, a thin sprinkling is all we ever put on, just enough so that every bite is cheesy but it doesn't take forever to melt. ;)

Thanks, I'll have to try that! It's different from ours, but hey a little variety never hurt anyone!:D

Wow, all 6! You rock! How long did you pump with them? My ULTIMATE goal is 2 years, but I know I need shorter term goals in order to actually get there. So right now I'm shooting for 6 months. I just hope I can actually match what he's taking in by then!

My goal was a year but most times I barely made it to six months. It got harder with each dc :(

Well, if you don't want to nurse him, still try to add in the skin to skin contact that he's missing out on by not nursing if you aren't already. I totall understand having a kid attached to you. I've been pregnant or nursing or both for over 13 years. There are times when I just want my body to myself!

Have your read up on your thyroid at all at thyroid.about.com? It's a great, great resource, especially their top doc recommendations. I found the doctor on there who was finally able to dose me with the right medication/dosage. I've been diagnosed for 10 years, but I'm just now starting to feel like a normal person, other than the weight.

Hmm... I don't know. It takes forever if I thaw in the fridge, but if its on the counter it does fine. I figure it stays cool enough to not get bacteria and if it does I kill it by baking it.

HE is one of the main reasons my supply is so bad. Prior to pumping my supply was about half of what it is now. :001_huh: If I were to rely on him for stimulation, I might as well hang it up totally. I don't intend to try to get him to latch on unless he just all of a sudden seems to take an interest (which I'm fine with if he doesn't). I've been taking a whole slew of herbs...I'm not sure they have been doing very much though. According to my LC I'm doing everything "right" - she suspects that the thyroid is the main issue.

I'm REALLY OK with him not nursing directly. I've never really enjoyed it...like I said I was so glad when my 2yo weaned a few months ago LOL. But I know that formula pales in comparison, so that's why I've had some kid attached to me for the past 11.5 years straight LOL.

I'll have to ponder this. My almost 13yo has a FULL school schedule, so I don't think he could really do it. But perhaps my 11yo could do something. I'm sure my 9yo could. Cooking things would be the issue - she can't reach LOL! But maybe sandwiches or something simple that doesn't require cooking. Although now that I think about it...she makes soup and eggs for herself...hmmmmmmm. Maybe she could! Oven stuff probably wouldn't be possible (I think she's scared of it LOL). But my oldest can do oven stuff. Maybe she could prepare something and he could put it in/take it out of the oven.

Wow, how do you get it to thaw so quickly? I used to do OAMC, but it always took days and days to thaw (and even then it was still frozen in the middle!). Do share your secret!!!

Well, if you don't want to nurse him, still try to add in the skin to skin contact that he's missing out on by not nursing if you aren't already.
I'll ponder when I might be able to do that.

Have your read up on your thyroid at all at thyroid.about.com? It's a great, great resource, especially their top doc recommendations.

Oh yeah.:D The main doc in my practice is one of the top in the nation, from what I've heard. I see a NP in his practice, but he's awesome too. My levels have been stable for quite some time until I had the baby. I didn't have to increase my dose at all while I was pregnant. Then all of a sudden my thyroid started producing hormone on its own again or something because we're having to reduce my meds. My TSH keeps getting lower and lower, and my free T3 keeps getting higher and higher. :001_huh:I guess it's a good problem to have, but it sure is making getting my meds straight difficult!

Hmm... I don't know. It takes forever if I thaw in the fridge, but if its on the counter it does fine. I figure it stays cool enough to not get bacteria and if it does I kill it by baking it.

Ahhhhhhh, I see. I'll have to run that by my dh. He's a food safety guru LOL, so he may not want me to do that. But to ME it makes total sense!;)

My SIL... which we have almost NOTHING in common... completely pumped for her daughter.... from pretty much the beginning to one year. She wanted the best, but her Type A personality lent itself towards pumping and feeding. She also worked. She liked the "convenience" of a set schedule.... and so kept to it. Even when she was with the baby.... pump and then feed it.... So... I think the month before the baby was one... she got formula... and I'm sure that my SIL was glad to stop...

:)

My SIL... which we have almost NOTHING in common... completely pumped for her daughter.... from pretty much the beginning to one year. She wanted the best, but her Type A personality lent itself towards pumping and feeding. She also worked. She liked the "convenience" of a set schedule.... and so kept to it. Even when she was with the baby.... pump and then feed it.... So... I think the month before the baby was one... she got formula... and I'm sure that my SIL was glad to stop...

:)

Yup, lots of women do it, but there is next to no support available. You really have to look for it. And unfortunately there is tons of horrible advice regarding exclusively pumping, which leads many to think it's impossible. It has its pros and cons, just like breastfeeding directly. In our situation the pros definitely outweighed the pros to attempting to get ds to nurse directly. It's working for us, but I'll sure be glad to get over this hump!!!

On the skin to skin, I think I forgot to clarify that its for him yes, but mainly to get your supply up. If you can get away to feed him a bottle, you could just pull your shirt up a little to get a little contact. If I recall correctly, there's a hormonal response you have to his skin contact.

Also, I keep meaning to add, my biggest timesaver is audio books. Any of your read alouds you can get at the library as an audio book is worth its weight in gold for a large family imo. You can eat while you listen, you can feed the baby, you can grade papers while they listen, etc. We use a lot of audiobooks here, so I don't have to read aloud quite so much.

I'll ponder when I might be able to do that.

Oh yeah.:D The main doc in my practice is one of the top in the nation, from what I've heard. I see a NP in his practice, but he's awesome too. My levels have been stable for quite some time until I had the baby. I didn't have to increase my dose at all while I was pregnant. Then all of a sudden my thyroid started producing hormone on its own again or something because we're having to reduce my meds. My TSH keeps getting lower and lower, and my free T3 keeps getting higher and higher. :001_huh:I guess it's a good problem to have, but it sure is making getting my meds straight difficult!

Ahhhhhhh, I see. I'll have to run that by my dh. He's a food safety guru LOL, so he may not want me to do that. But to ME it makes total sense!;)

"I'm beginning to think that the laws of physics must be different in my kitchen or something LOL...it seems that whatever cooks in a certain amount of time elsewhere takes twice as long (just to COOK or heat up) in my kitchen.:tongue_smilie:"

I agree with the above quote!!!! I used to feel that way when I read that book Managers of Their Homes!!! I love that book and it has been a lifesaver in my home. But, I would look at some of those schedules and just be in awe...I would say, "How do they do that in 30 mins?" I knew it would never work that way in *my* house!

I just want to say that I am in absolute awe that you are doing all that!!! Isn't God great...the way He strengthens you for whatever you're going through? I never had to pump...but I did breastfeed all 7. So, I don't have a bit of advice about any of that. Except, I will pray for your milk supply and thyroid issue.

The only thing I could see about your schedule was the lunch and dinner situation. My 13 yo does lunch every day...sometimes with help from the others...like I say...go in and make your sandwich and your little brother's, etc...so sort of like the lunch buddy thing. I could never get it all done if I had to stop and do the whole lunch scenario. I would let them clean up, too, if I were you. Do you have any help with dinner?

For lunch, we do turkey and cheese sandwiches, PBJ's, mac and cheese, pizza toast, bagel bites, egg rolls, refried bean dip with mozz cheese and salsa...with tortilla chips, quesadillas, etc...I guess we are all about fast and easy at this point. These are not the healthiest lunches available, that's for sure! :lol: We do have carrots on the side or apple slices, etc.

I wish you the absolute best. I know it will get easier...it always does when the babies get a little age on them. How is the baby sleeping? I was just wondering if you are able to rest at night.

Gotta go do breakfast!

How independent are your older kids?

Right now it's working for me to have blocks of time with each kid for 1:1 work. My guys are 5th, 4th, 2nd, K/1st, and K4 (on his demand).

8:30-9:00: 1:1 ds6

8:30-9:15: 1:1 ds10

9:15-10:00: 1:1 ds9

10:00-11:00: 1:1 ds7

11:00-11:30: 1:1 ds6

11:30-12:00: 1:1 ds4

Then we break an hour for lunch, and group work is done in the afternoon, and they finish up any independent work.

I have folders for each boy for each day of the week. On the weekend I schedule our week and place the appropriate pages in each folder.

Their work is divided into 3 categories: 1:1, Independent, and Group. I color code it on their schedules (for the older 3). That way they know what they can/should be working on when they're not with me. If they need a lesson before they do the work independently, I mark it with both the independent & 1:1 colors.

I didn't read most replies and only have 2 kids myself....but even so we keep lunch during school time as simple as possible. Have your oldest 2 make sandwhiches and get some fresh fruit and veggies out. Done. I buy things like baby carrots (prewashed) and fruit that can be washed and handed out...(apples, bananas etc) We usually eat on paper towels even, rather than regular plates so the only thing to wash is our cups (each kid could wash their own.) I also do alot of crock pot meals so that dinner is ready before my kids even get up. I also keep most leftovers for supper, then you only have to actually make dinner every couple days. But :grouphug:. I had a preemie I had to pump for round the clock and that was completly exhausting (and I didn't have any other kids at the time and wasn't hsing!!)

I also pumped exclusively for my last child. I had not even considered the baby not nursing well, as well I KNEW how to breastfeed babies. But, it didn't work for this baby. I exclusively pumped and fed through a bottle for nine months.

I would try to give up the modesty and pump and school at the same time. I see you have a 13 year old, so this may not work in all situations. Maybe you could school the little ones and pump at the same time.

Do you know how to pump with one hand? If you are right-handed you hold the right bottle with your left hand, and you hold the left bottle with your left fore-arm. You then have your right hand free to do other things.

When I was exclusively pumping I learned how to no-hands pump, you might give it a try. It is a little weird, but when you are busy and need your hands then it works great. You can get a pillow or two, and something rubberish, like the back of a mousepad. After everything is started and the suction is going, then you can carefully position the bottles so they won't slip, then let go. This works great if you are typing on the computer.

Also, I raised my milk supply by pumping, and I wanted to let you know how I did it. Basically, if you pump until the milk stops flowing that's good, but it will never tell you body to make more milk because your body thinks that is enough. You can have a second let-down, and if you pump until that happens then you let your body know you need more milk. Time it because it seems like it takes FOREVER, and won't happen, but for me, it took five minutes exactly. Sometimes it seemed like such a little amount of milk, maybe a 1/16 of an ounce, it seemed worthless. But the important thing is not how much milk you get with a second let-down, but the fact that you are signaling your body to make more milk.

Hugs to you because I know how hard this is, and homeschooling makes it so much harder. Think positive! Don't beat yourself up, eventually I was able to look positively at the formula because without it, my baby would not have had enough milk.

Keep strong, and good luck!

Also, I keep meaning to add, my biggest timesaver is audio books. Any of your read alouds you can get at the library as an audio book is worth its weight in gold for a large family imo. You can eat while you listen, you can feed the baby, you can grade papers while they listen, etc. We use a lot of audiobooks here, so I don't have to read aloud quite so much.

I'll have to check and see what's available. The books we read aloud aren't really audio book friendly LOL. But I'll check. My kids also don't do very well with audio books - when I read I stop a lot and explain, or when someone is acting up (which is usual:tongue_smilie: ) I can stop, don't have to pause and rewind, etc. We don't have a lot of read alouds, BUT for some they might come in handy.

DITTO!!!!! I've been using MOTH since my oldest 2 were just 3 and 2 years old LOL!

But' date=' I would look at some of those schedules and just be in awe...I would say, "How do they do that in 30 mins?" I knew it would never work that way in *my* house![/quote']

LOL I was looking at one just last night, and this one gal had 8 kids and walked for 45 minutes every morning. Say what???? LOL

Except, I will pray for your milk supply and thyroid issue.
Thank you! I feel rather wonky too, in addition to having supply issues, and I'm just ready for everything to be NORMAL LOL.

The only thing I could see about your schedule was the lunch and dinner situation. My 13 yo does lunch every day...sometimes with help from the others...like I say...go in and make your sandwich and your little brother's, etc...so sort of like the lunch buddy thing. I could never get it all done if I had to stop and do the whole lunch scenario. I would let them clean up, too, if I were you. Do you have any help with dinner?

I have help with clean up at lunch and supper both (it's the 11yo's job). Ideally my dh does the supper dishes, but like I told him yesterday when he pointed out that he's not on the schedule, I can't count on him to be there, so it's best if I assume that I have to do it myself...then if he IS there it's a bonus.:D

I do quick and easy lunches, but I may have to go even quicker and easier. We get in such a rut though - blech! Some of our typical lunches are lunchmeat sandwiches, grilled cheese & tomato soup, PBJ and some other soup, quesadillas, corn dogs/hot dogs & mac & cheese, pigs in a blanket, frozen pizza, English muffin pizzas, etc. I'll have to see what my 12yo and 9yo might be able to do as far as lunch prep goes. My 5yo is the table setter, so I don't have to do that, just cook. And I do try to multi-task while I cook, especially if it's something that bakes.

How is the baby sleeping? I was just wondering if you are able to rest at night.

He's a FANTASTIC sleeper.:D We have to wake him around 10:30 to eat, and then he'll go till at least 5:30 or so. I'm REALLY enjoying that as compared to my breastfed directly babies LOL!

How independent are your older kids?

Very independent. I only spend 45 minutes one on one with my oldest and 30 minutes with the rest. We do Bible together which is 30 minutes, and then geography/science together, which is 45 minutes. The rest they do on their own. Even my 1st grader is independent for math and AWANA.:D

I also pumped exclusively for my last child. I had not even considered the baby not nursing well, as well I KNEW how to breastfeed babies. But, it didn't work for this baby.

Exactly! I am a pro LOL! Although I think that may have been part of our downfall. My midwife, all the nurses, and I all thought that since I knew it all, it'd be a breeze.

I would try to give up the modesty and pump and school at the same time. I see you have a 13 year old, so this may not work in all situations. Maybe you could school the little ones and pump at the same time.

I pump in the school room, right there with everyone LOL. I face away from them and try to pull my shirt to where it's not just all in everyone's face LOLOLOL. If all else fails I have a nursing cover that I use. My 12yo is so used to breastfeeding and such though...it doesn't phase any of them.

Do you know how to pump with one hand? If you are right-handed you hold the right bottle with your left hand, and you hold the left bottle with your left fore-arm. You then have your right hand free to do other things.
I pump hands-free.:D I have a special bra that frees up both hands. In fact, I'm pumping right now.:lol: Once my supply is better established I plan to give up my rental pump and get a Medela Freestyle, which I will be able to walk around with. That will REALLY help.

Also, I raised my milk supply by pumping, and I wanted to let you know how I did it. Basically, if you pump until the milk stops flowing that's good, but it will never tell you body to make more milk because your body thinks that is enough. You can have a second let-down, and if you pump until that happens then you let your body know you need more milk. Time it because it seems like it takes FOREVER, and won't happen, but for me, it took five minutes exactly. Sometimes it seemed like such a little amount of milk, maybe a 1/16 of an ounce, it seemed worthless. But the important thing is not how much milk you get with a second let-down, but the fact that you are signaling your body to make more milk.
Yup. I pump for about 20-30 minutes per session. Sometimes I have 2 or 3 letdowns. There's also a little button on my pump that I can push when the milk stops flowing, so it will go back into stimulation phase, to help get a 2nd let down. I've done this since the very beginning. I think if I didn't have all my thyroid issues my supply would have responded better to stuff like this. But alas....:tongue_smilie:

Hugs to you because I know how hard this is, and homeschooling makes it so much harder. Think positive! Don't beat yourself up, eventually I was able to look positively at the formula because without it, my baby would not have had enough milk.

Yes, that's my mindset too. I'd rather my child not starve in the name of "breastmilk or bust." So he does get about 1-2 bottles a day of it while I pump like a madwoman LOL. It doesn't help that he's a BIG eater - I could have caught up with him by now!;)

I just had a couple of suggestions for the meals. We always keep breakfast and lunch very simple. Breakfast: cereal/milk/juice or items I've already made and frozen (muffins/pancakes/etc).

Lunch: We usually have a healthy but simple lunch: Sandwich on whole wheat bread, pretzels, fruit, carrot sticks, cheese stick. My goal is to have a whole grain, protein, dairy, fruit and vegetable. We do sometimes have a frozen pizza, quesadilla, soup, etc. but I'm in the middle of work (teaching my children) and I really can't stop and cook much or I will waste too much of our precious time. If I worked somewhere else, I wouldn't be able to stop and cook either.

I do the freezer cooking to have quick handy dinners when we're in a hurry. I always cook about 10 pounds of hamburger at once and freeze into servings for pasta, chili, tacos, etc. but these are dinner items NOT lunch. I also cook up several pounds of chicken breasts at once and dice or shred and freeze into preportioned containers.

Also, the crockpot could be your best friend. There are so many things you could make for lunch or dinner and let them cook while you teach. Then lunch becomes much faster. Also, make sure the kids have labeled cups and use the same cup all day long so you don't have so much for the dishwasher. And if you can afford it, use paper plates for lunch.

Sorry, I'm no help on breastfeeding. I did have to pump and dropper feed one baby for a few weeks but thankfully he finally woke up (literally we couldn't get him to wake up) and started sucking.

Good luck! You're amazing.

Jennifer

P.S. Here's a simple crockpot lunch (or dinner)

Chicken fajitas (adjust size for your family)

1 pound chicken breasts

1 packet taco seasoning

1 can Rotel

Put in crockpot and cook on low about 6 hours or high about 4 hours. Shred chicken and serve with soft tortillas and toppings of your choice. It's really that simple and tastes great. We serve with shredded cheese but you could easily top with sour cream and salsa too.

Almost ANYTHING can be made in the crockpot! Also, I have the biggest they make (7 quarts).

Here's another typical crock pot recipe I do.

I cook two roasts at once(or three if they'll fit). Put roasts in crockpot, add a packet onion soup for each roast and about 1-2 cups water. Cook on high about 6 hours. Then you can take out one roast (I shred this and add bbq sauce for sandwiches). Throw in diced potatoes and carrots and dinner will be ready in a few more hours. Now you have two meals. Just add whatever you like with the bbq sandwiches. They could be your lunch one day and the roast for dinner another day.

I can't tell you how many things from soups, casseroles, meats, desserts, etc can be done in a crock pot. Also, the kids could put the stuff in the crock pot or you could get it started when you get up to save time.

Jennifer

Yes, we do a lot in the crockpot. At least twice a week. I try to make a crockpot meal for Sunday lunch after church (because we don't get home until after 12:30) and then for Wednesday night. We have Taekwon-Do until around 7:30, so this way we can come home and eat immediately. It's still a late supper, but at least I don't have to cook something after arriving home that late.

That's a good idea to have a crockpot for lunch. I have a smaller crockpot (LOL growing up it was the size our family had) that I could put some sloppy joe meat or something like that in. That'd be a quick lunch.

I'm thinking we must just eat slowly too or something. It takes some of my kids a SOLID 30 minutes to eat, and they aren't dilly-dallying. (Others it takes all of 3 minutes.:tongue_smilie: )

You could have a crock pot item going every day (sometimes just meats to freeze and pull out quickly for another day), sometimes a lunch item like you mentioned and others a dinner for that evening. This will help you build up some stuff in your freezer too so that every day you don't have to cook. I like that you can throw it all in and leave IT to do the work. Good luck. Maybe the kids could be listening to something on audio like MOH or SOTW while eating so that you're really getting a subject done during lunch since they are slower eaters.

Jennifer

About your supply issues...I don't know if you are opposed to any sort of alchohol or not, but a dark beer is supposed to do wonders for supply. Brewers yeast will work the same. Also, oatmeal and if you get a lot of coconut oil in your diet it really boosts the nutritional quality of your milk, so a little will go further. It's also really great for your thyroid and liver, so a double bonus. Don't be skimpy on fats in your diet (good ones...coconut oil, olive oil, avacado's etc.) right now since that will help with supply, too!