Menu

Does this exist (IEW related)?

bethben

I'm looking for a themed book that has generic assignments - I don't want specific paragraphs for outlining - I want to pick my own, but I really need more hand holding than the original program manual (I find it very visually confusing and overwhelming). The thing that is holding me back from IEW is that there is no easy manual for using your own assignments - I don't feel like they put together the writen materials all that well for the teacher not using SWI. I like the themed books, but again, I don't want a specific assignment. Do I just use a themed book and make my own assignments? WWYD?

Beth

I'm looking for a themed book that has generic assignments - I don't want specific paragraphs for outlining - I want to pick my own, but I really need more hand holding than the original program manual (I find it very visually confusing and overwhelming). The thing that is holding me back from IEW is that there is no easy manual for using your own assignments - I don't feel like they put together the writen materials all that well for the teacher not using SWI. I like the themed books, but again, I don't want a specific assignment. Do I just use a themed book and make my own assignments? WWYD?

Beth

Which part do you want prepped for you? Are you looking for something that has the steps written out and places for stuff like the outline?

Maybe you could take the form from something like Imitations in Writing and substitute your own paragraphs and short stories. I appreciate that I don't have to rewrite paragraphs to make them appropriate. But it might also be useful to write out the steps and have a template that could be applied to different pieces of writing.

You only mention the manual, so I'm wondering. The videos make all the difference.

I use my own paragraphs, and the lesson plan form that you can find in the manual (p. A-17). I also use the checklist for the dress-ups and such that you can find there as well (p. 25). (I'm not sure what you mean by "template", so this may not be helpful.)

I would ask about this on the yahoo group. They are very helpful there.

Maybe my problem is that I didn't really like the videos either...I'm kinda of an open and go type of gal. Maybe IEW just isn't for me. I did look at the index in the back of my TWSS and that looks doable. I may give that a try.

Beth

I'm debating doing something similar. I want our writing to apply to Canadian History next year for gr. 9, but I far prefer the handholding of the theme-based lessons. I'm considering purchasing US History-based writing vol. 1, then just replacing the source text with my own.

I agree, a generic IEW theme book would be Perfect with a capital P!