Menu

St Patrick's Day is a coming!

Last year I posted this on St Patrick's Day, and told of some of the fun at our house...

Well, this year I am again getting ready, and having difficulty with my dinner menu, as I need to do a crock-pot or make ahead meal, as we will be gone all afternoon for soccer, and have an evening commitment as well. (45 mins at home in between if we're lucky.)

I'm thinking a beef stew would be my best option - anyone have any other ideas???

And while we're on the topic of St Patty's Day... who else is cooking up some fun??? I need to add to my repertoire. :D

We're making St. Patrick's Day theme cake balls. Some for us and some for dh's work. The flavors are going to be Irish cream and cream de menthe. Covered in white and light chocolate with green accents. Everybody LOVES cakeballs! For dinner I might make corned beef in the pressure cooker. Dh and I also plan to concoct some leprechaun hijinks to pull on the kids too. :)

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/irish/stew.html Irish Lamb stew absolutely wonderful and authentic. This could easily be cooked in the crockpot after browning the lamb well. You need to sear the outside of the meat well by using a high temperature for a very short amount of time to get the flavor just right. Dd's godfather loves this dish and is about as Irish as they come returning to the "motherland," every other year. This year will be even better since "Boondock Saints 2" will be out on dvd.

Edited by elizabeth
poor typing

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I cooked everything green one year. They happened to have Green Ketchup at the stores and I used that. I used food dye to tint everything green for the day.

I like the beef stew idea.

This one, Irish Beef Stew from Simply Recipes, is my favorite. I make it every year on St. Patricks Day now.

The note at the bottom of the instructions says you can make it up to 2 days ahead, refrigerate and just bring to a simmer before serving.

I like this one with the Guinness and the wine.... wonder if I could get my hands on a can...

We're making St. Patrick's Day theme cake balls. Some for us and some for dh's work. The flavors are going to be Irish cream and cream de menthe. Covered in white and light chocolate with green accents. Everybody LOVES cakeballs! For dinner I might make corned beef in the pressure cooker. Dh and I also plan to concoct some leprechaun hijinks to pull on the kids too. :)

Oooooh please do share what these are, as I have never heard of them.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/irish/stew.html Irish Lamb stew absolutely wonderful and authentic. This could easily be cooked in the crockpot after browning the lamb well. You need to sear the outside of the meat well by using a high temperature for a very short amount of time to get the flavor just right. Dd's godfather loves this dish and is about as Irish as they come returning to the "motherland," every other year. This year will be even better since "Boondock Saints 2" will be out on dvd.

I was thinking of doing lamb, as my dh has kindly shared his lack of desire for corned beef... will have to see what he thinks.

Any other great ideas out there???

I must say I am VERY excited :) Since our homeschool adventure just began this week, we've been focusing on just getting in the groove. I decided we'll take that whole week and do a St. Patrick/Ireland unit study. We're not catholic, but it will be fun to do some research and projects none the less :)

My grocery store sells Guinness in single bottles, which I love since St. Patricks day is the only time I ever buy it.

I am required to buy it by the case unless I go into a bar to buy a 6-pack. (Wonderful laws here. :glare:) Luckily I have a friend who has been able to somehow get me 1 or 2 cans when requested. I don't ask questions. Last spring I made a Guinness Chocolate Cake - was :drool:!