Menu

S/O- cloth for women

So, I have issues with my cervix and can no longer use my Diva Cup :(

I hate disposable pads, and they seriously irritate my skin. I've used cloth pads in the past, but they are expensive and need to be changed so often for me that's it's hard to have a large enough stash to keep up with my needs. I also had issues of spots on my pants because they just weren't thick enough. I had one pair of luna panties at one time, but they wore out so fast. I'm disinclined to pay that much money for one pair of underwear again, especially when it's not even pretty. :tongue_smilie:

I am thinking of sewing a waterproof lining into special panties that I'll buy specifically for that time, and then put a couple of layers of flannel on top of the waterproof fabric, and then making my own cloth pads that will fit my underwear nicely.

Has anyone here done anything like this before? Would nylon work as the waterproof barrier? Joann's and Hobby Lobby have Nylon, but not PUL and I'd have to order PUL online (I hate waiting for materials once I'm ready to start a project and would rather buy from a B&M store).

If anyone has any tips or advice on doing such a thing please chime in. TIA

secular mom - have you tried ibuprofen for heavy flow?

Take ibuprofen

Whenever flow is heavy, start taking ibuprofen, the over-the-counter anti-prostaglandin, in a dose of one 200mg tablet every 4-6 hours while you are awake. This therapy decreases flow by 25-30% and will also help with menstrual cycle-like cramps

http://cemcor.ubc.ca/help_yourself/articles/very_heavy_menstrual_flow

This is from a Vancouver menstrual research facility run by Dr. Jerilynn Prior, author of The Estrogen Errors. On that website there is lots of other info & downloadable diaries to help you keep track & also advice on when to consult a physician, ie. what's beyond normal.

As for the nylon, I think plain nylon is fine. Some of the pads I have are more of an envelope style so I can open them up (unlike the lunapad construction) & see the nylon & it looks just like the material that those little nylon windbreaker jackets which fold up into their own pocket are made of.

Also, back when I was cloth diapering my kids, I had these long fabric liners which went inside some of their diapers for night time. The diapers got passed on but I kept some of the liners as they're so good for night time for me. Because they're so long...... and because they were meant for toddler diapers, they're very absorbent.

Have you considered "mama cloth" instead of the whole panties thing..

Mama cloth can be made with fleece inners and flannel outers and work wonderfully :)

Also can be made using only flannel and just add some good "stuffing" liners into the pad based on your cycle that day. You can make them so there is a "pocket" for inserting "panty liner" style pads making it more absorbant based on your cycle.

There are free patterns available online. Google. If you need help PM me and I'll help direct you.

pads that were shaped like the "Party In My Pants" pads. So the layers were(from bottom up flannel, flannel backed vinyl, several layers of flannel or wash cloth then another layer of flannel. These work very well especially if you don't sew through the vinyl, except before you turn it(if that makes any sense. They hold alot more than disposables. I don't think I'd want it sewn into my undies<that might be a bit sweaty> The "PIMP" shape works a lot better that the other shapes that I tried. I love my Diva Cup, my only wish is that it had bigger capacity. I think I got the vinyl from fabric.com. I could scan the pattern I made. PM me if you want me to send it to you.

To clarify, I want to make the panties lined to be waterproof and have some flannel as extra protection, and also make cloth pads to wear with them. Also, with the panties I'll have some coverage for those first 5 days of spotting that I get without having to wear a pad, and also for the days following my period when I have sporadic spotting, and for the days that intimacy causes me to bleed a little.

I have recently been diagnosed with fibroids, I don't know their exact location (need to make a follow up appointment to ask specific questions) but the symptoms I had that led to this dx were excessive spotting before my period actually starts, inconsistent period (starts and stops and starts again), etc. I've been told in the past to take ibuprofen to eliminate the spotting. Right now they are saying that I should consider birth control pills to help control the bleeding.

My cervix has become very friable, I don't know if that's because of the fibroids or perhaps the combination of the fibroids and using the Diva Cup, but using the cup is painful now. I do not want to take BC pills, for many reasons. I will reconsider taking ibuprofen though, as that will help with the pain too (I have pain for 2-3 days before my spotting/period starts). Thanks for that reminder.

I was told that I have 'one small' fibroid and 'lots of tiny ones'. Ugh. I have been thinking about the possibility of having a hysterectomy. That was not the rec my 'Dr.' (actually a nurse practitioner) gave me, but at that point the only symptom I had told them about was the spotting before my period starts. I've realized in the past few weeks that I have way more symptoms than that, I am only 33 years old and my mother did not stop menstruating until she was 50, her mother was in her late forties and I have no siblings to inquire about. The very idea of 'lots of tiny ones' possibly growing or having even more in the future and worsening 'issues' makes me want to nip it all in the bud right now.

LOL, sorry for the book.

I understand not wanting to wait for the materials, but I think I would order online and get PUL. Are you planning on making the whole panties out of waterproof material (whatever you decide on) or just the --I don't know what to call it--crotch piece??

I understand not wanting to wait for the materials, but I think I would order online and get PUL. Are you planning on making the whole panties out of waterproof material (whatever you decide on) or just the --I don't know what to call it--crotch piece??

I was planning on buying some panties and lining the area that a pad would cover with the waterproof fabric.

I would use felted wool (an old blanket or sweater would work well) or PUL. Many people swear by fleece, but I would take care to ensure it's a breathable fleece and not something like WindPro which has a blocking agent.

Another thing you might consider is making wings out of wool and wrapping that around your panties, then attaching the pad to the wings with snaps. I have pads that are made like this and they work quite well.

I would use felted wool (an old blanket or sweater would work well) or PUL. Many people swear by fleece, but I would take care to ensure it's a breathable fleece and not something like WindPro which has a blocking agent.

Another thing you might consider is making wings out of wool and wrapping that around your panties, then attaching the pad to the wings with snaps. I have pads that are made like this and they work quite well.

That sounds very itchy! :)

Total aside but I've never understood calling them 'mama cloth'. I mean women who aren't mothers still menstruate and can use the products. What's with the "mama" thing?

Maybe a throw back to the 70's "hot mama."

I would use felted wool (an old blanket or sweater would work well) or PUL.

Impossible for women with wool allergies.

Total aside but I've never understood calling them 'mama cloth'. I mean women who aren't mothers still menstruate and can use the products. What's with the "mama" thing?

I haven't a clue! I didn't start using them until after I became a mother and that's what they've been called ever since I've found out about them.

I think need a new name...like...lady cloth or something other than mama as well!