Menu

OT- heads up If you are a CLE user or going to order CLE

sandalwood

Mr. Glick had an announcement on the CLE email loop that prices will go up as of April 1 for both the textbooks and lightunits. However, the lightunits that go WITH a textbook (for example social studies) will come down & be renamed LightUnit Study Guides. His advice was to order before April 1 except for lightunits that go with a textbook and those will come down. Someone asked if the price change would be minor or significant and he didn't have that info yet. However, he suggested the textbook price would be larger as they had not had an increase since 2001.

I searched before I posted this and didn't see a post about it. Please delete it if it is a duplicate.

Mr. Glick had an announcement on the CLE email loop that prices will go up as of April 1 for both the textbooks and lightunits. However, the lightunits that go WITH a textbook (for example social studies) will come down & be renamed LightUnit Study Guides. His advice was to order before April 1 except for lightunits that go with a textbook and those will come down. Someone asked if the price change would be minor or significant and he didn't have that info yet. However, he suggested the textbook price would be larger as they had not had an increase since 2001.

I searched before I posted this and didn't see a post about it. Please delete it if it is a duplicate.

So, if I'm thinking of getting Reading--do I wait or order now?

Ok, without pasting what he said word for word here (not sure how Mr. Glick would feel about that) he basically said this:

He said they still had some "gray areas" & he was "not sure where the reader light units came out" but he thought they would be coming down in price. And, he said he didn't have the final details yet.

The question asked to him was since the reading was really a reader and not a "textbook" (ex. like social studies) would those light units go up or down in price.

Anyhow, I think it was really wonderful of him/them to post the info before it happens. Money is very tight for us now and I will definately go ahead and get some things before April 1 versus getting it in July/Aug. I still might go ahead and get the reading and have it all done, versus waiting to see if they go down.

Ok, without pasting what he said word for word here (not sure how Mr. Glick would feel about that) he basically said this:

He said they still had some "gray areas" & he was "not sure where the reader light units came out" but he thought they would be coming down in price. And, he said he didn't have the final details yet.

The question asked to him was since the reading was really a reader and not a "textbook" (ex. like social studies) would those light units go up or down in price.

Anyhow, I think it was really wonderful of him/them to post the info before it happens. Money is very tight for us now and I will definately go ahead and get some things before April 1 versus getting it in July/Aug. I still might go ahead and get the reading and have it all done, versus waiting to see if they go down.

Thankyou so much for the update! It'd be a bummer to wait to see if the prices went down, and then they go up!:001_huh: Hope that doesn't happen! Hope there's word soon on what will happen so we can plan accordingly!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like good news to me, the prices are not significant! I'm not sure what the twin LU is but I do know in the 6th grade history I have the lightunits are 2 to a workbook (2 LU in one bound workbook) so maybe that's it? I have no idea what the twin LU are.

"...Any unit of study that is a "stand-alone" set of LightUnits with

all the teaching text included will continue to be sold as LightUnits. These

will be priced at $3.20, up from 3.10 But LightUnits that cannot be used without a textbook such as Reading, 500 science, 300-700 Social Studies plus the Highschool Literature I will be

lowered in price from $3.10 to $2.60. We are doing this to compensate for the higher cost of the complete course when needing to purchase a textbook. However, another decision that we made is that no future LUs for new courses will have the "twin" LU's so as long as there are still some of those around, they will now be sold as 2 LU's packaged together @ the new price of $2.60 times 2 for a new price of $5.20."

Textbook increases:

"God's Marvelous Gifts and Living Together On God's Earth are both $22; Into All the World, North America Is The Lord's, and God's World--His Story are all $25; Neighbors In Latin America is now $30; Perspectives of Life and Perspectives of Truth are now $32."

"The 5 Apologia Science textbooks that we have chosen to handle are now all $60 each, both in textbook and CD format. The solutions and tests are $19, the Companion CD is $14."

He said they had not had a textbook increase in 8-9 years.

Hmmmmmmm, not sure what to do. My kids are doing R&S English right now, and I was wanting to switch them to CLE LA for our new school year. But we won't be done with our school year until July. Since I know they would need to take the placement tests, I wanted to wait till later on in the year before I ordered, to get a better feel for what level we'd need.

Should I go ahead and have them take the placement test and order based on that? Or should I probably just suck up the price increase and deal with it?

Hmmmmmmm, not sure what to do. My kids are doing R&S English right now, and I was wanting to switch them to CLE LA for our new school year. But we won't be done with our school year until July. Since I know they would need to take the placement tests, I wanted to wait till later on in the year before I ordered, to get a better feel for what level we'd need.

Should I go ahead and have them take the placement test and order based on that? Or should I probably just suck up the price increase and deal with it?

I think I would wait because dc can learn a lot in four months time. By waiting you would be able to place them more accurately. Just my .02.

I'll be needing the math but have so much going on right now that I have to wait until we actually need it to buy it. I'll be purchasing in the summer too instead of before April.

Edited by Homeschooling6