Menu

Coconut milk in potato soup?

Coconut milk should work well in it. Remember that it's a lot thicker than cow's milk, so cut it with enough water to get the texture you like. Also, you may want to add a little extra salt (taste as you add) since the coconut milk has a bit sweeter flavor. I make creamy soups with coconut milk all the time to keep them gfcf.

Coconut milk should work well in it. Remember that it's a lot thicker than cow's milk, so cut it with enough water to get the texture you like. Also, you may want to add a little extra salt (taste as you add) since the coconut milk has a bit sweeter flavor. I make creamy soups with coconut milk all the time to keep them gfcf.

Thanks! I used to use condensed milk + cow milk for a really rich, thick soup, so it sounds like coconut should be good.

I know it's supposed to be kind-of sweet, but the canned kind just never seems to be. It's more...I don't know, metallic, maybe? Bitter? Blech. By itself, anyway.

Ours has potatoes (cooked in water, then drained and mashed), coconut milk, chicken (or veggie) broth, sauteed onion & garlic, salt and pepper. We also add bacon, but your sausage would be good, too.

You can't tell it's coconut milk at all. It tastes the same as my old recipe using milk or cream. :)

Lisa

Ours has potatoes (cooked in water, then drained and mashed), coconut milk, chicken (or veggie) broth, sauteed onion & garlic, salt and pepper. We also add bacon, but your sausage would be good, too.

You can't tell it's coconut milk at all. It tastes the same as my old recipe using milk or cream. :)

Lisa

This is exactly what we did, except for the sausage-bacon switch, & I took PP's advice & added a little curry instead of my usual garlic. It might be the best potato soup I've made!

Except maybe the Mexican kind. That's awfully good, too, & I *think* it's gfcf.

Thanks everybody!!

This is exactly what we did, except for the sausage-bacon switch, & I took PP's advice & added a little curry instead of my usual garlic. It might be the best potato soup I've made!

Thanks everybody!!

I'm glad you reported back! I just couldn't imagine coconut milk tasting good in potato soup. I've tried it in my coffee and it was too coconutty for my taste...and I like coconut! I think I'm very sensitive to tastes though. Glad it was good!

Thanks everybody!!

:drool: mmmm, that sounds fabulous! I LOVE coconut milk.

I'm glad you reported back! I just couldn't imagine coconut milk tasting good in potato soup. I've tried it in my coffee and it was too coconutty for my taste...and I like coconut! I think I'm very sensitive to tastes though. Glad it was good!

I love coconut, but I don't like coconut milk--at least not that I've tried. Not in coffee for sure. But I couldn't taste any coconut flavor in the soup, & the curry made it a really beautiful yellow color. BUT I don't think coconut milk tastes like (the bagged, flaked, sweetened) "real" stuff. :lol:

I do make ice cream fr coconut milk for dh, & he loves it, but...meh. I'm not allergic to milk, lol, so I'll take the real stuff. ;)