Menu

Do Guinea Pigs Menstruate?

We found blood in the guinea pig cage but I can't find where it is coming from. We use towels and fleece for the bedding and have notice a slight discoloration in some of the urine spots that wick through to the towels when we take them out for washing. This is the first time we have seen a large droplet on top of the fleece.

We adopted this piggie in October and at the time was told she was about 2-3 years old.

UPDATE: Took her to the vet this afternoon. He suspects a UTI. He didn't feel any stones in the bladder. She's on antibiotics and for a couple of days increasing the fresh veggies vs. the Timothy Hay and trying to get more liquid in her. He suggested trying Odwalla juice but I couldn't find any. I'm trying Ocean Spray veggie fruit drink. She hasn't lapped it up, but she did lick the side of the bowl. She sure is enjoying the fresh Kale. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. Rosie thanks you too!

Edited by Evergreen State Sue

Well....we bought a female guinea pig from a pet store (I know, I know...not the best place), and it turned out she was pregnant when we bought her. So, we ended up with 2 female guinea pigs. Aside from the birth of the baby, we never saw any blood.

We now own another female guinea pig, who, ironically, was pregnant when we bought her as well. She gave birth prematurely and the baby died, however, we haven't seen any blood from her since either?!?

I am not sure about guinea pigs, but I know that when cats and dogs go in heat they bleed. You may want to read up and see about guinea pigs. Female animals do NOT menstruate.

Ok, I'm not following your logic here. If cats and dogs do bleed, isn't that menstruating? I know it's just a few times a year, sometimes just once, and not on a moonly cycle, but it's still bleeding. No?

Ok, I did a wikipedia search, and found that some mammals do menstruate and others don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrous_cycle#Differences_from_the_menstrual_cycle

Oh the things we learn when homeschooling :)

Edited by CleoQc

Ok, I'm not following your logic here. If cats and dogs do bleed, isn't that menstruating? I know it's just a few times a year, sometimes just once, and not on a moonly cycle, but it's still bleeding. No?

Ok, I did a wikipedia search, and found that some mammals do menstruate and others don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrous_cycle#Differences_from_the_menstrual_cycle

Oh the things we learn when homeschooling :)

No, if they are in heat, that means that they can get pregnant at that time. It's not the same shedding the lining of the uterus that is menstruation.

I actually just read recently that guinea pigs do not menstruate.