Menu

How beneficial do you think a reading curriculum (like CLE) is?

Magic Wand

We're using CLE reading this year and we love it. This is the first year we've used a formal program. My girls have always been strong readers, they love to read and we've read so much aloud over the years.

I'm debating about using CLE reading again next year, simply for the sake of time (oldest dd will be 8th grade) and we have a busy schedule, but I have appreciated and valued the listeray analysis and terms. Sure, I can help them define simile, personification, setting, etc, but I appreciate the way CLE lays it all out.

So, what do you think about reading programs and CLE in particular?

I feel that I have to have some kind of reading curriculum because I am not strong in the language arts area. I have a math degree and am science oriented. I just don't think I would do well discussing and teaching literary analysis on my own. What can I say? I'm a wimp!

My dd is doing CLE 7th reading this year. I am considering Sonlight Core 100 for next year, so I don't know at this point if we will be doing CLE 8th grade reading. If I don't go with core 100's literature or feel that it is enough, then she will do it.

Are you planning any foreign language study next year? BTW, I'm appalled by all my typing and spelling errors. My apologies, I'll slow down! I know you've likely posted this already, but would you mind sharing your 8th grade plans again. We seem to like and use several of the same programs.

I should expound on loving CLE; My girls love the CLE stories, they don't always love the workbook exercises, but I, too, see such value in this program. Love of the stories helps them bear the sometimes lesser attractiveness of having to actually anaylze what they read. CLE has been a good challenge for them this year.

BTW, I've been here so inconsistently this year I did end up going with the CLE math programs on their grade level and I'm so glad I took your advice. It's worked out splendidly.

We just started CLE Reading and love it! I had never had a formal reading program before, dd has always been a great reader and did very well in grammar and spelling and I never thought about it. She had trouble on testing on reading comprehension though. When we started CLE Reading she said it was her toughest subject. I'm amazed I didn't do this sooner. I can see a tremendous benefit in this, and I am especially loving CLE. I will definitely continue with CLE reading in subsequent grades.

BTW, dd8 is in 4th and 5th grade subjects with the exception of reading (3rd grade). Although I feel she is a strong reader, this was neglected and I'm happy we have included now.

Are you planning any foreign language study next year? ...but would you mind sharing your 8th grade plans again. We seem to like and use several of the same programs.

I should expound on loving CLE; My girls love the CLE stories, they don't always love the workbook exercises, but I, too, see such value in this program. Love of the stories helps them bear the sometimes lesser attractiveness of having to actually anaylze what they read. CLE has been a good challenge for them this year.

BTW, I've been here so inconsistently this year I did end up going with the CLE math programs on their grade level and I'm so glad I took your advice. It's worked out splendidly.

We're SLOWLY working our way throught Spanish for Children and The Learnables Spanish 1. For next year, I plan to either do Rosetta Stone or Discovery Education Streaming Spanish (I plan to re-subscribe after taking this yr off even if we don't do the Discovery Spanish. Bill Nye is no longer on Youtube :crying:).

Grade 8:

CLE LA 8 - LU's 801 to 808 (last 2 units are review)

CLE reading 8

Spanish (RS or DE)

Already purchased:

Lightning Lit. & Comp 8 (probably skip poetry & writing/worksheets)

Prentice Hall America

CPO Life Science

Saxon algebra 1 with Art Reed's DVD's

IEW SICC B

Continue from this year into grade 8:

English From the Roots Up - cards only (help with CLE reading too)

Spanish for Children - grammar parts

Bible

Maps, Charts, Graphs G

Prepare for High School Placement Exam in Nov. '10:

HSPE test book

CLE 801

EM Daily Paragraph Editing

~~

I am SOO glad my older ds did CLE reading 7 & 8 before attending high school. High school English covers SO much. He had the basics of lit. & poetry analysis from CLE reading; grammar from R&S E. 7 and writing with IEW. It was amazing to me HOW much they cover in such a short time (SO it's suppose to all be review) at the high school level.

Have you ever heard of bildungsroman? That's just one example of the MANY literary terms he was expected to know/learn in grade 9. So knowing the basics from CLE reading helped greatly!

What are your grade 8 plans? :bigear:

Edited by MIch elle

We have much that is still undecided, but we're slowly formulating our plans.

IEW SICC B (we're on the two year program, finishing the first 1/2 this yr.

Math - undecided

English - either CLE or continue on with R&S 8 (we're finishing 7 this year) I really like the way CLE rolls LA all into one

Reading - CLE 8 (undecided)

Vocabulary - (given that we test out of SWR this year, otherwise we'll be carrying on with SWR until we're done and picking up vocabulary later)

How do you use English from the Roots Up?

Bible - our own, + scripture memorization

Science - Apologia Physical Science - Tell me more about your science, please

Geography - Runkles and Eat Your Way Around the World - this one is an *I think* We want to take a year off history and just focus on geography

Violin lessons (continue)

Piano lessons (continue)

Voice (new)

P.E. - our own - we're avid hikers

Art - undecided, I try to set up classes from local artists for our homeschool group. We're getting ready to launch 4 weeks of 4 hrs/week in watercolor classes

Foreign Language - We used United Streaming for Spanish in the past. Our neighbor speaks and comes up 1x/week to work with us. Older dd has her heart set on French for next year and we didn't do any FL this year. It doesn't seem logical to me with our past investment in Spanish, but what can I say. It's 8th grade. We might try French.

Another quick question. If you had a younger dd, like I do (rising 6th grader) would you continue on with R&S English or would you feel comfortable transitioning to CLE at this point? She's already doing R&S grade 6 this year and would be using R&S grade 7 next year.

I'm glad to see this thread.

My dd (8) is a very strong reader so I've never used a reading program before. However, we just got CLE math and love it and I've looked at the reading samples and have been debating it. We already happened to have the reader so it is just a matter of ordering the workbooks. :) Thanks for the input.

For k-4 I don't think a reading program is necessary and for some kids it can even be detrimental. If your kid really loves to read and has the phonics base to read anything they desire then you have accomplished your goals for elementary school. In the logic stage it might have some use but I am not there yet so I don't have anything concrete to base this on. I would think 7th/8th would be plenty of time to work on terminology etc.

IMHO

Edited by Flaura
Spelling

We just started CLE Reading and love it! I had never had a formal reading program before, dd has always been a great reader and did very well in grammar and spelling and I never thought about it. She had trouble on testing on reading comprehension though. When we started CLE Reading she said it was her toughest subject. I'm amazed I didn't do this sooner. I can see a tremendous benefit in this, and I am especially loving CLE. I will definitely continue with CLE reading in subsequent grades.

BTW, dd8 is in 4th and 5th grade subjects with the exception of reading (3rd grade). Although I feel she is a strong reader, this was neglected and I'm happy we have included now.

First, I hope I quoted correctly in this reply - I don't think I've done this before. I know exactly what you mean about this being their toughest subject. When my children began using CLE Reading I realized how much they needed it!

Thank you all for sharing.

Another quick question. If you had a younger dd, like I do (rising 6th grader) would you continue on with R&S English or would you feel comfortable transitioning to CLE at this point? She's already doing R&S grade 6 this year and would be using R&S grade 7 next year.

This ds switched to CLE LA 7 this year after using R&S E.3-6. I'm glad we made the switch. I wish we had switched last year, but I wasn't listening to my gut (plus I had the R&S books).

We do 5 new EFRU cards/wk;read one new card/day (all words in back) and review all learned cards everyday (just the root & meaning). I have ds make 2 packs - one for the cards he remembers and one he's forgotten. He reviews all forgotten ones until he gets them. It takes about 5-10 min.

CPO Life Science is similar in content to what my older ds is using for high school, Holt Biology (Miller/Levine) but appropriate for middle school (no Kreb/Calvin Cycles to memorize, etc). CPO Life Science is a NICE textbook. The TM doesn't have the SM in it but it has answers. Look at the CPO website & esp. ALL the worksheets you can print for free: http://www.cpo.com/home/ForStudents/MiddleSchoolLifeScience/tabid/247/Default.aspx

EDIT: oops, Which science? Physical science we're using this year or CPO for next year? If I had to do it again I probably would have chose CPO Physical Science over LFBC Phys. sci.

P.S. This is the first year my ds isn't playing 2 instruments - piano & guitar - too much! And it's the first time in 7 years we are not skiing every Friday through winter. Feed My Sheep sits on the shelf waiting to be used again - we NEVER get to it!

Edited by MIch elle

I have my daughter in 4th grade using ACE but I was thinking of switching to CLE for 5th grade. I was wondering how the reading is, do they give you certain books to read? What are the books about? I think that's one of her major things about reading. If the books aren't interesting to her she gets restless with it. I am also wondering about the Social Studies and Science. Let me know if anyone has any advice on this.....Thankssss

Karen

I have my daughter in 4th grade using ACE but I was thinking of switching to CLE for 5th grade. I was wondering how the reading is, do they give you certain books to read? What are the books about? I think that's one of her major things about reading. If the books aren't interesting to her she gets restless with it. I am also wondering about the Social Studies and Science. Let me know if anyone has any advice on this.....Thankssss

Karen

CLE reading is a reader and 5 workbooks (16 weeks) in grades 4 & up. Look at the samples and scope & sequence chart at clp.org

Karen

The 5th grader reader includes short stories and poetry. Among those included are stories about missionaries, historical figures and Bible characters. Each story has a verse that summarizes the theme or parable. My 5th grader is a voracious reader and finds them quite interesting.

This ds switched to CLE LA 7 this year after using R&S E.3-6. I'm glad we made the switch. I wish we had switched last year, but I wasn't listening to my gut (plus I had the R&S books).

We do 5 new EFRU cards/wk;read one new card/day (all words in back) and review all learned cards everyday (just the root & meaning). I have ds make 2 packs - one for the cards he remembers and one he's forgotten. He reviews all forgotten ones until he gets them. It takes about 5-10 min.

CPO Life Science is similar in content to what my older ds is using for high school, Holt Biology (Miller/Levine) but appropriate for middle school (no Kreb/Calvin Cycles to memorize, etc). CPO Life Science is a NICE textbook. The TM doesn't have the SM in it but it has answers. Look at the CPO website & esp. ALL the worksheets you can print for free: http://www.cpo.com/home/ForStudents/MiddleSchoolLifeScience/tabid/247/Default.aspx

EDIT: oops, Which science? Physical science we're using this year or CPO for next year? If I had to do it again I probably would have chose CPO Physical Science over LFBC Phys. sci.

P.S. This is the first year my ds isn't playing 2 instruments - piano & guitar - too much! And it's the first time in 7 years we are not skiing every Friday through winter. Feed My Sheep sits on the shelf waiting to be used again - we NEVER get to it!

I'll check out the science you've selected. I've never even heard of it. Yes, two instruments is more than enough, but dd loves music and faithfully practices. That's partly why we gave up foreign language last year and why I'm hesitant to commit next year. There are only 24 SHORT hours in the day, right. CLE LA would streamline things for us as it incorporates spelling. IEW is great for us, can't give that up. EFRU might be the perfect vocabulary program and the time investment seems very reasonable.

We are doing narration, but not as often as we probably should, so I am happy to have the reading program. I feel it makes dd slow down and really think about the stories. I also think it's great for having them follow directions, because they aren't always the best at it!

It's good to know that so many of you still use it in the higher grades.

We love CLE!

I think we might need to add reading too. My dd is a rising 5th grader and a good reader. How do you place them in the CLE Reading? She's been doing CLE LA 400 level this year for 4th grade and it's been good.

Next year we are going to do Classical Conversations, Essentials, so her LA will be done in that class with the EEL and IEW. But that doesn't include reading and I guess I better add that in, huh? Oy. More subjects for next year!:001_huh::D

It helps with reading comprehension, critical thinking, vocabulary, literary analysis and MORE. It's worth the effort and time!

We, too, have a difficult time trying to get it all done! CLE reading will NOT be dropped.

I highly recommend CLE reading, esp. grades 6-8!

I have not done reading with my dd either, since she's a great reader, and the programs I saw weren't teaching anything she couldn't do. But, I know she could use some work on the things you listed! She is almost 13, and will be in 9th grade next year. She'll have lots of reading to do with TQ, and her Biology, but would you recommend her doing this for the benefit it could provide for her? Since she hasn't done a reading program before, and I'd just have her do it as a learning experience (no credit), it doesn't matter what level it is. Would you have a recommendation on a good level for her age? Edited by Brindee

Are the Teacher's Guides worth getting?

but rarely use them to "teach". They are good for reference because they contain the list of skills taught, and index of skills taught in grade 7 in the appendix with the lightunit number. It also has alternate tests.

Every lesson in the TG 8 has:

scripture verse

objectives: the student will-

Sometimes it has:

lesson lead

writing opportunity

"thinking about the story" or essay

poetry pointers

Karen

CLE and ACE aren't even in the same hemisphere. I've used both, and CLE is worlds ahead. Academically, CLE is vastly superior, and in addition it doesn't beat you over the head with doctrinal issues the way ACE does.

I *do* like ACE's US history in middle school, but it's been revamped since I used it and I don't know what changes there have been.

I used CLE's 5th grade reading for my oldest daughter last year. I loved it! What a wonderful program. My daughter hated the stories. She thought they were weird. For instance the first story she read was about a little boy who's father got ill at a light house that he worked out. The little boy left his baby sister in a high chair because the mother wasn't home. My daughter turned around and said " Mom isn't that child abuse? " I had to explain to her that sometimes people had to do that back in those days but the explanation wasn't good enough. I personally think she was trying to be difficult. She just wanted a book with color and lots of pictures,etc.

I think the content was good. The program was just what she really needed. She needed the vocabulary and literary analysis. This year I caved in and we're using K12. Needless to say this coming school year we are going back to CLE whether she likes it or not. LOL.

I know my other girls won't have issues with it.

In my longwinded explanation I think CLE has a very good reading program. You won't be sorry to use it if you do.

My suggestion with CLE's reading is this, and I see that is keeps as a good rule of thumb because I learned this lesson the hard way with my daughter.

If you have a strong reader, and a diligent worker on your hand then going with grade level is appropriate. I say this because the Reading Light Units can be a little intense with the literary analysis sometimes. Some feel that the level of the Light Units do not correlate with the reading level. Some feel they do. It just all depends on your child.

If you have a struggling reader or a slower reader I say go a year behind what they are at.

I think that was where I had mad my mistake with my daughter . I should of started her with the 4th grade reading versus the 5th grade reading when I did.

I think, after looking at the TOCs, that, though dd is a great reader, there are things in level 7 that she probably needs to to work on. We've not done much literary analysis, so I think starting back a level would be good for her. I like that the reading isn't that expensive!

Is it possible to do two levels of the Reading in one school year (like level 7 1st semester, and level 8 2nd semester)? Or is it fairly "deep"?

Edited by Brindee

I think, after looking at the TOCs, that, though dd is a great reader, there are things in level 7 that she probably needs to to work on. We've not done much literary analysis, so I think starting back a level would be good for her. I like that the reading isn't that expensive!

Is it possible to do two levels of the Reading in one school year (like level 7 1st semester, and level 8 2nd semester)? Or is it fairly "deep"?

I think you could do two years in one. CLE reading consists of 5 LU and is structured so it can be used for either half a year or 3x/week for a full year. If you wanted to tackle reading most days all year I don't see why you couldn't do both. My oldest is using CLE Reading 7 and we've only done it 3x/week because of other subjects in our schedule.

I think you could do two years in one. CLE reading consists of 5 LU and is structured so it can be used for either half a year or 3x/week for a full year. If you wanted to tackle reading most days all year I don't see why you couldn't do both. My oldest is using CLE Reading 7 and we've only done it 3x/week because of other subjects in our schedule.
Thanks! How old is your oldest?

We may just stick with the 3x a week thing. That'd be less stressful, I'm sure, and it's just for rounding out her knowledge of Lit. and stuff. I guess I'd have to order it and start it and see how it goes.... :001_smile:

We are doing both 600 and 700 this year and the pace hasn't been too tough. We do approx one entire lesson per day and are on track to finish 600 in about 12 weeks! I've been very pleasantly surprised by this!! There are only 5 LUs a year in reading from our experience w 600.

Unless there is a massive jump in content or more than 5 LUs, I think it's reasonable for a diligent student to get both done in a full school year if you allow time for one full lesson a day.:001_smile:

CLE and ACE aren't even in the same hemisphere. I've used both, and CLE is worlds ahead. Academically, CLE is vastly superior

:iagree:I'll second that. I used ACE in 5th, 6th, & 11th grades in my own childhood. I don't remember much of anything from those years except the religious comic strips in the PACEs. I remember what color each subject was. :tongue_smilie: I have CLE LA 1 & 2 and they are quick and easy to use.

Thanks! How old is your oldest?

We may just stick with the 3x a week thing. That'd be less stressful, I'm sure, and it's just for rounding out her knowledge of Lit. and stuff. I guess I'd have to order it and start it and see how it goes.... :001_smile:

turned 13 in December; 7th grade. I have the same type of dilemma choosing CLE math, but ended up going with grade level and it's worked out great. If it were me, I would buy your dd's grade level and start there.

Have you seen the samples online? They're excellent. clp.org

turned 13 in December; 7th grade. I have the same type of dilemma choosing CLE math, but ended up going with grade level and it's worked out great. If it were me, I would buy your dd's grade level and start there.

Have you seen the samples online? They're excellent. clp.org

See now that was my mistake when I bought the CLE reading last year. My daughter could read the stories but the literary analysis in the Light Units was a bit over her head. Especially since it was the first program I had used that covered that in reading. She got so frustrated with it that she told me she hated CLE's reading. It wasn't the reading she disliked. It was the Light Units because it was a bit over her head. So that is why I suggest to others, if you have a strong reader and and a diligent worker (meaning they are willing to work hard at it) then go at grade level.

If you have a struggling reader or its their first time encountering this type of material then going a grade level lower will actually benefit them. It will give them the confidence that they CAN learn this stuff.

And yes its possible to do two levels since they only have 5 Light Units per grade level in the upper grades.

Can anyone tell me how many lessons are in a light unit for CLE Reading (grade 6 in particular)?

Thanks

Which is 80 lessons including quizzes and tests (2 quizzes & 1 test/LU). Grade 6 is a good grade to start with.

Did you look at the samples & S&S? They will give you the details. :001_smile: