Menu

K Bible study recommendations?

JESSICAinMD

Does anyone have a good Bible study recommendations for a Kindergartener? I am Baptist and my husband is Presbyterian (PCA). We went something that would include memory work. I am already reading a Children’s Bible aloud but I want to do a more formal study as well. Any favorite websites or programs?

Big Book of Questions and Answers for simple, but thoughful, devotional-style study. Includes Scripture references, memory verses, and discussions questions. http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/The+Big+Book+of+Questions+and+Answers/005438/1206470142-446290

and

Explorers Bible Study for more in-depth systematic teaching. The expectations are realistic, i.e. age-appropriate and would prepare future studies by teachiong a study method.

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/scope3.htm

HTH!

This has been discussed a lot lately--not kindergarten specifically, but Bible studies for children in general. I didn't see this one mentioned, but here is a three year free curriculum that we are planning to use next year. I'll probably end up using a part of this and a part of some others and compiling my own final product from the mix.

I just wanted to encourage you to look at My Father's World 1st grade. I don't know where your dd is re: phonics, but you may think about using it next year. We used it this year for K because my dd was reading already. I LOVED the Bible part of the program. I used different materials for other subjects--found the MFW used at a great price which allowed me to do this. Anyway, there are solid stories in the teacher's guide to read, then the child has a reader to read certain stories themselves. After reading they use their Bible Notebook to draw a picture from the story and then copy a sentence or two from the reader. It is a great program.

HTH, and I hope I made some sense. I'm in a big hurry! :001_smile:

Dawn

You could try the Kids4Truth website. They have levels for each age group, it's a Bible memory/catechism program. Seems like it's very well thought out. Also, their customer service people are soooooooo helpful. If you have any questions, they will be happy to answer them.

For Bible reading, we are enjoying the DK Children's Illustrated Bible. I counted all the "spreads" and it seems like we'd need to do about 3 per week during the school weeks to cover the book in a year (this includes the introductions to the Bible, the OT, the prophets, the NT, the early church, etc.).

Along with this, for basic theology, we are using Leading Little Ones to God and The Big Book of Questions and Answers. The first resource is a read-aloud lesson with questions you can use for narration at the end of the reading. The second resource is a Q/A format.

Other possible resources for K'ers include The Big Picture Bible Timeline and the Bible timeline cards (there are 5 sets) available from Veritas Press. Be sure you laminate these, or they will wear out.

For your daughter's age group, you might also want to incorporate music -- we just sing all day here, and you'd be amazed at how much learning this facilitates. We use Wee Sing & Learn (Bible Songs, Sunday School Songs, Hymns, Praise Songs, etc.). We love them all. My daughter (3 years old) marches around Home Depot singing, "Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, and the Letter to the Romans, First and Second Corinthians, Galatians, and Ephesians...." A lot goes into that little head through music.

I have a K curriculum that a friend of mine wrote and uses in a Baptist school in Texas. PM me if you want details beyond this description.

The curriculum is called Names of God. It uses two little story books (copy and put together, can color if you want) to introduce each name of God. One is a fictional story, the other is from the Bible (I believe the first time the name is used in the Bible). The child has a verse to memorize, coloring pages, activities, a banner to make for every name (as a memory device, to hang up--out of paper) prayers, and the stories. It is really, really good. My friend has not published it yet because she's shopping it around, but it's actually on the shelf at the moment. Her school (Prestonwood Baptist Academy) thought it so good, they use it. She gave me a copy to use when dd was in K. I love it.

We used it with Leading Little Ones to God. The purpose is to lead a child to know God and want Jesus as his Saviour.

We're enjoying the books by Susan Hunt. I think she comes from a Presbyterian background.

Big Truth for Little Kids (for early elementry) and My ABC Bible Verses (for preschool/Kindergarten)

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Truths-Little-Kids-Teaching/dp/1581341067/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206478288&sr=8-1

http://http://www.amazon.com/My-ABC-Bible-Verses-Hiding/dp/1581340052/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206478352&sr=1-1

I used Leading Little Ones to God with my 4 and 7 year olds this year. Next year the 4-year old will be using Explorer's "And It Was Good,"written for 2-5 year olds, and the 7-year old will be using Explorer's "Jesus My Shepherd" for 1st through 3rd graders.

Just in case you are interested, both of these products are currently 25% off at christianbook.com.

Krista