Menu

Vindolanda

Has anyone here been to Vindolanda -- a Roman settlement near Hadrian's wall which is featured as the setting of the Minimus Latin book?

We've got a trip planned to the UK and I was thinking of making a trip to visit Hadrian's Wall. We only just started using Minimus this week, but I can see already it is going to be a big hit. We should be well into the book by the time we travel in May.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone had visited the Vindolanda site and whether it is worth it?

Yes! It is definitely worth visiting as are many of the other Roman sites along Hadrian's Wall.

Some of the best artifacts from Vindolanda (like the note requesting socks) are in London at the British Museum, but the site is nonetheless amazing. You can really "see" what the fort looked like and how the archaeologists are performing excavations. Thumbs up! .

Yes, but..... it depends where you're staying the rest of the time, if you'd want to do other things in the area/go up to Scotland; or if you'd only be going for the Roman experience. England has lots of Roman museums & excavation sites and you might be able to find something much nearer.

Yes, but..... it depends where you're staying the rest of the time, if you'd want to do other things in the area/go up to Scotland; or if you'd only be going for the Roman experience. England has lots of Roman museums & excavation sites and you might be able to find something much nearer.

The Roman Baths in Bath are very well preserved and the museum is excellent. They are right in the middle of the town, which is very picturesque and walkable - you can get your Ancient Rome and your Jane Austen hit all in one day. And it's only about 90 minutes from London by train.

Laura

Thanks for the encouragement / warnings! Our itinerary looks like this right now:

Heathrow..

Bath

York

Edinburgh

Stonehaven

Inverness

London

Heathrow

But I could stick a night in between York and Edinburgh, for instance...

I guess I'll have to think about it. This trip is really for my mom, who has never traveled outside the U.S. before in her life, so I want to make everything as streamlined as possible for her. But I'm also trying to focus on some historical themes for the sake of my older daughter.

York

I highly recommend the gorgeous Minster and the atmospheric Shambles, as well as wandering around the walls, etc. (I can also recommend a park/playground if that is appropriate). I don't recommend the much-touted Viking museum. We found it somewhat thin on knowledge and a bit worn and tacky. The railway museum is wonderful too, if you are interested.

Best wishes

Laura

Thanks for the encouragement / warnings! Our itinerary looks like this right now:

Heathrow..

Bath

York

Edinburgh

Stonehaven

Inverness

London

Heathrow

But I could stick a night in between York and Edinburgh, for instance...

Two questions: how long will you be in Britain and what mode of transport are you using? The reason that I ask is that things that are deceptively close on the map sometimes are terribly far apart in real life. You have significant ground to cover between Inverness and London.

We spent a month in Britain and did not have not have time to travel north of Stirling!

Two questions: how long will you be in Britain and what mode of transport are you using? The reason that I ask is that things that are deceptively close on the map sometimes are terribly far apart in real life. You have significant ground to cover between Inverness and London.

We spent a month in Britain and did not have not have time to travel north of Stirling!

Roads are not nearly as fast as freeways in the US. This is a crowded island and it's hard to find the 'open road' except on small country roads. Google maps has the drive from Inverness to Heathrow taking 9 1/2 hours without stopping.

Trains are often a good option, but they are still not enormously fast. I just checked, and Inverness to London (not Heathrow - that's another leg) takes a minimum of 8 1/2 hours.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I did it! We're staying a night at a b&b within walking distance of Vindolanda. I'll let you all know how it goes.

We're taking 16 days and are traveling by train. I looked at taking the train back from Inverness to London, but then realized it'd be cheaper to take a flight back (Easyjet).

I lived in the UK for a year or two in my 20's, so it should be fun to take my mom and daughter around. I know my daughter is an awesome traveler, but I'm not so sure about my mom... :001_rolleyes: I think the UK is bound to be the best first overseas trip for a novice traveler like her.

We're taking 16 days and are traveling by train. I looked at taking the train back from Inverness to London, but then realized it'd be cheaper to take a flight back (Easyjet).

Trains can get crowded, especially at rush hours/weekends. I would pre-book seats whenever possible - this is usually free, but has to be done a day or two in advance. It's much better than standing for hours!

Remember that there may be special deals for overseas visitors to use a train pass, rather than buying individual tickets. Ask a travel agent about this in your home country. Even if you don't get a train pass, it's probably worth your while to buy a 'friends and family' card, which will reduce the price of every ticket you buy.

Laura