Menu

Neat find! Research Paper workbook

Pongo

So in changing things up a bit, my oldest is doing the last few LU from CLE to round out the year before testing, as well as portable summer schoolwork(I know, I'm a mean mom...lol).

Anyways, to my surprise, as I am flipping through LU 507 I notice this is not a grammar book at all, it's actually a workbook. It walks through a research paper. I have used IEW since the beginning for all my kids, so I was planning on skipping this. But, I have to say, it's really well done. My dd will work independently on this. The topics in this particular LU are:

1. Exploring the Encyclopedia

2. Learning from the Encyclopedia

3. Helps in the Encyclopedia

4. Is it a Good Subject? Choosing Your Subject

5. Writing the purpose Statement; Some review

6. Outline Review; Making Your Preliminary Outline

7. How To Take Notes

8. Taking Notes

9. More Note-Taking

10. Making Your Complete Outline

11. Beginning

12. Ending

13. The Final Copy

14. Finishing up;How You Will Be Graded

The workbook alone is easy to use, no need for the TM.

Edited by Pongo

CLE LA 807 How to write a research paper

CLE English 909 - Writing a Research Paper

CLE English 910 - Writing and Presenting a Persuasive Paper

all the lightunits are 15 lessons

:lol: I was just looking at this too! Do you think 807 is needed before 909? Or could you start with 909?

CLE LA 807 How to write a research paper

CLE English 909 - Writing a Research Paper

CLE English 910 - Writing and Presenting a Persuasive Paper

all the lightunits are 15 lessons

Thanks! BTW, I know quite a few boys at St. Johns, great school!

:lol: I was just looking at this too! Do you think 807 is needed before 909? Or could you start with 909?

You could use either one independently. 909 is at a higher level but very similar to 807.

909 uses Fanny Crosby as a sample (graphic organizer cluster, outline, paper, bibliography/works cited) 807 uses hiroshima sample (outline, paper, bibliography).

Did you look at the samples at clp.org?

http://www.clp.org/documents/2882/original/Language_Arts_807.pdf

You could use either one independently. 909 is at a higher level but very similar to 807.

909 uses Fanny Crosby as a sample (graphic organizer cluster, outline, paper, bibliography/works cited) 807 uses hiroshima sample (outline, paper, bibliography).

Did you look at the samples at clp.org?

http://www.clp.org/documents/2882/original/Language_Arts_807.pdf

Thank you! Yes, I was just looking at the samples. I think I like the subject of 909 better than 807. One more question, do you need the answer key if you just use LU 909 & 910? Thanks again!

Thank you! Yes, I was just looking at the samples. I think I like the subject of 909 better than 807. One more question, do you need the answer key if you just use LU 909 & 910? Thanks again!

but very few (909 - 4 lessons; 910 - 3 lessons - all others say teacher check). I'm sure you can figure out the answers.

We just started this one, 507, as well! I like how it is laid out, and also thought to myself that it would be helpful to lots of homeschoolers not using CLE. For $3, it looks like it packs quite a bit in. The only thing we're tweaking is using an online encyclopedia.

Sharing this was a great idea---I think there are lots of people who could use it!

• 11 months later...

I am struggling with writing so I just ordered this for DD to work through. I have IEW US History and IEW student intensive A that I will try next year. If that doesn't work I will get Write Shop-sigh. She is a donut writer and I don't know how to get her to be a Croissant.:confused: