Menu

So here's my four-week plan

(YES I am procrastinating BIG TIME)

I am going to come up with 30 days worth of exercise stuff - walks, jogs, classes, weights, yoga, etc. I'm not going to assign them to specific days - I'm just going to decide how many days I SHOULD jog in the next month, how many days I should go to exercise class, etc.

Then I'll build a chart to check them off and keep me motivated.

I want to spring into spring really springy if you know what I mean. I'm so close to my weight goals, but too flabby for words. Time to tighten up.

Think it'll work? I think I'll motivate myself with a new pair of shoes if I complete the chart.

(YES I am procrastinating BIG TIME)

I am going to come up with 30 days worth of exercise stuff - walks, jogs, classes, weights, yoga, etc. I'm not going to assign them to specific days - I'm just going to decide how many days I SHOULD jog in the next month, how many days I should go to exercise class, etc.

Then I'll build a chart to check them off and keep me motivated.

I want to spring into spring really springy if you know what I mean. I'm so close to my weight goals, but too flabby for words. Time to tighten up.

Think it'll work? I think I'll motivate myself with a new pair of shoes if I complete the chart.

...motivate you with a new pair of shoes if you can get me to complete a chart for myself!

Today, I'm wearing a pair of jeans that I've owned for some years now...and they are T-I-G-H-T! I don't even want to admit that. Maybe it was the Easter candy. But, there is no doubt that, in the past five years, I have allowed weight to creep on that has completely worn out its welcome. Yet, I can't seem to get it to leave. While I was exercising well last summer...no real change. Dh and I recently gave up all weekday wine, indulging only on weekends. I thought that might make just a tad of difference (I know, I know), but nothing. I despise the idea of a calorie chart because I am just not that diligent about record keeping. But, maybe that's what I need to do -- I sure don't FEEL like I overeat, nor that I eat a lot of bad foods. It's maddening.

So, tell me more about the chart, and about how you'll motivate yourself to actually check off the spaces (legitimately). Are you sensing a theme in my life? ;)

Doran

Yes, I sense a theme and I am so right there with you.

I hate to say it, but the calorie thing was the only thing that worked for me. I am 10 pounds lighter than I was last fall. I still need to lose more, but feel so much better. Once again, I'll recommend that cookbook - The Supermarket Diet Cookbook.

I was so surprised how many calories I was eating a day - probably twice as much as I was supposed to. It is easy for me to slip back into doing it, too.

Anyway. Shall we set a date to have our charts complete? Because I'm having trouble sitting down and doing it, too, even after having just written about it.

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to take a sheet of paper, make a line for each "exercise-related thing" - so one for walks (I have to decide on a length), one for exercise class, one for my weight routine, one for yoga, etc.

I'm going to make squares for each exercise. So, if I decide I need to do yoga 10 times in the month I will make 10 squares that say YOGA, etc. I will keep them all in a little dish or box.

Then I'm going to make a pocket on the bottom of my chart to put the completed squares in. Each time I complete one I'll tick it off on the correct line of the chart and put the square in the pocket. I have to complete all the squares by the end of April to get the shoes!

I think I have time to do this either today or tonight. How about it? Should we faithfully promise to make our charts by Wednesday? Or Thursday if you need more time? Then on Friday we can HANG THEM UP SOMEWHERE!

Come on - all together now. WE CAN DO IT - YES WE CAN!

I am also going to make a month of lunch and dinner menus for April like I used to do when I was really losing weight. It works so much better than when I scrounge in the fridge.

I think I'm going to put each "exercise" on a square of paper, count how many

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to take a sheet of paper, make a line for each "exercise-related thing" - so one for walks (I have to decide on a length), one for exercise class, one for my weight routine, one for yoga, etc.

I'm going to make squares for each exercise. So, if I decide I need to do yoga 10 times in the month I will make 10 squares that say YOGA, etc. I will keep them all in a little dish or box.

Then I'm going to make a pocket on the bottom of my chart to put the completed squares in. Each time I complete one I'll tick it off on the correct line of the chart and put the square in the pocket. I have to complete all the squares by the end of April to get the shoes!

I think I have time to do this either today or tonight. How about it? Should we faithfully promise to make our charts by Wednesday? Or Thursday if you need more time? Then on Friday we can HANG THEM UP SOMEWHERE!

Come on - all together now. WE CAN DO IT - YES WE CAN!

I am also going to make a month of lunch and dinner menus for April like I used to do when I was really losing weight. It works so much better than when I scrounge in the fridge.

I think I'm going to put each "exercise" on a square of paper, count how many

Pant, pant!! I'm feeling overwhelmed. Or maybe just whelmed.

Okay, first: The chart

I'm a little troubled because I don't have many exercise options at the ready. I can walk/run -- probably more of the former since I'm just starting back at it. And I do karate once a week. That's it. I'm not a member of any place where I can do a class. Should I get a video/dvd for something I can do at home? I'm afraid I'll get bored and/or see no results (which is what happened last summer).

Next: The cookbook.

I don't remember you recommending this before, but I'm sure I just missed it or forgot (yea, that...can I apply for a new brain, please?) But, I'd like to get my hands on something useful before we start this thing, if possible. So, I've just looked at this book online. Question: Did you just use the cookbook, or did you follow the whole Supermarket Diet?

Finally: Dietary restrictions.

How did you accommodate your diet with your family's (is it just the one son?) dietary restrictions? For example, I'm noticing that the shopping list for the Supermarket Diet calls for bread and crackers. We keep some of that in the house, but not as much as we once did. How did you manage this in your house? Also, "low fat" drives me nuts. I can't stand the idea of low fat mayo, breakfast bars, and things like that. It just rubs my "natural/organic" self the wrong way.

I think I'm hyperventilating!! The honest truth is, I've never been on a real diet. Ever. I've "watched what I ate", but I'm not even really well versed in that. The accountability scares me. What if I let you people down????

One. Step. At. A. Time.

:lol:

Doran

Don't panic, Doran!!!

We can do different things and it still will be OKAY!

First, find my other post and look at some eye-candy. Then come back to plan a little.

1. The chart. Maybe this doesn't work for you. Maybe it would. I'm not expecting my exercise to take off pounds - I'm expecting it to tone up my muscles.

I do a short yoga routine at home. I bet you could find routines on line even or could get a book from the library.

I also have a book (and have used magazines in the past) to get little weight routines I can do with my hand-weights to tone up my arms, etc. I do crunches, etc., too at home.

Put in your walks and karate. Maybe put in a small amount of exercise videos and call it good.

The book: I only got the cookbook - I've never looked at the other book, the diet was completely explained in the cookbook.

I, too, was always against low-fat stuff and I use my best judgement. Instead of low-fat mayo, I often just use olive oil, etc. The book was really helpful for me to learn about servings, etc. The first few weeks I followed the recipes faithfully and lost weight FAST. What it mostly taught me was to eat HUGE salads with every meal and to use salad spritzers instead of salad dressing. Salad dressing has hundreds of calories per serving. Salad spritzers have 15 - 20 calories. The difference is simply huge and so I do it.

I have gotten used to often having different things for different people at meals. I have had to make a lot of accomodations for my allergic son. I am mostly vegetarian and my family eats meat, so I often eat something different than the rest of them. I decided to get over my guilt and just do it. Dh likes all these meals and will eat them with me. He gets 400 extra calories per day and I never nagged at him if he was still hungry and wanted to eat more. I'm doing this for me. The kids often (not always) ate the same thing without any restrictions as to "how much".

So, anyway, instead of doing the "diet" you could try this. Eat 3 - 4 cups (or more!) of salad with lunch and dinner. Eat it first. Then take whatever you would normally serve and have a portion no bigger than your hand. So, have one sandwich (not two or three). Eat one burrito. Or one porkchop and a small portion of potatoes. Fill up on the salad. Treat the other stuff like dessert.

And - you can't let US down. You're doing this for YOU! I find that once the weight begins to come off it gets easier. You get more motivated.

Hope this helps!

Don't panic, Doran!!!

We can do different things and it still will be OKAY!

First, find my other post and look at some eye-candy. Then come back to plan a little.

...[snip]...

And - you can't let US down. You're doing this for YOU! I find that once the weight begins to come off it gets easier. You get more motivated.

Hope this helps!

Here I am getting ready to become a rabbit, and you're bringing up CANDY! (JK -- I'll go in a sec and take a look).

Yes, your reply helps. The last sentence is the most helpful. I would absolutely be inspired if I'd actually lose some weight. No, scratch that. I'd be inspired if my clothes fit better again. I could really care less what I weigh. Last summer's experiece was a real downer because I felt like I was working hard, but there was no change. But, I also wasn't dieting, or paying attention to eating less. So, I suppose that's what was missing. That, and a fan club here. ;)

Maybe Laurel will send me a chart template?!

Doran

Can I join? Someone, please kick me in the butt!

Besides, charts and planning is my favorite thing to do, so I'm at least in for that part. I'm great at planning things out, and starting things, but not so good at keeping with it.

LOL!! Yup!! I love charts and planning. I'm not looking forward to cutting out the sweets, but I love planning it!! :lol:

It probably won't happen tonight, but I'm going to find and link the place where I wrote out a lot about my "diet" previously. The thing that helped me was having "snack-like" options throughout the day. There's no way I'm cutting them out all together, but cutting them down really helped.

Laurel, please do join. The more, the merrier!

I'm in!!!! I really was hoping to lose a few pounds before I turned 40, but since that is on Friday, I guess it ain't gonna happen. I would like to before I have to put on a bathing suit this year!!!! 2.gif I'd like to make my chart too!!!

Let it be known that Mindy doesn't need to lose anything. Not a single pound.

She looks fabulous and any of us would put a bathing suit on our body in a second if it looked like hers.

Carry on.

The more, the merrier!

OK, I'm in, I'm in!

Did you know. . . .gasp . . . .that just going to Weight Watcher meetings does not make you lose weight!!!

Now, my excuse has been I"ve been painting the house for 3 weeks. And, of course, no one can ever turn down chocolate when they're painting. Right?

So - 30 day challenge - here we come!

I got through the whole darn book!

Tomorrow I add in all the red-pen changes, then I go over the trouble spots again. I MAKE MY CHART.

Thursday I do it all again. Except for making my chart. I'll have already done that.

Friday I make copies and pop the books in the mail. I'm going to make my deadline!

I am making my chart today if it kills me. I had today all planned out and then it turns out dh needs me for three hours. Yikes!

I will make this WORK!

With the extra bodies here, I had good intentions of doing my chart yesterday. But, nooooo!

I did have a question about your design description, Jennifer. Why the pocket with the "removable" or "add-on" squares? I was thinking maybe I could just use a calendar and some different colored miniature post-it notes to mark each exercise. Am I over-simplifying? 'Course, my only exercise may be walking and karate. But, still.

Doran

I simplified, Doran - inspired by you.

I'm a little like WTMindy - I love making charts. It's so much fun.

But, I was also having problems getting to it this time, so I went for something much simpler. It's here.

I put up a challenge there for you all, too.

I'm going to start my chart on Monday. Take a look at the link - I explained what I did even though the pic isn't that clear. Tell me what you think!

I have made my chart! My three categories are Tae Kwon Do (twice a week, scheduled activity), Walking, and Grab Bag (I made a list of different things I enjoy doing - yoga, elliptical, and a few workout videos - each is about 30 minutes, and can be done at home, while the kids are napping, for example). I am planning on starting Saturday, as that will make day 30 Marathon Day. (Several months ago I thought it would be a good idea to walk a marathon. I was enjoying the high of completing a 3 day, 60 mile walk for Breast Cancer. I think I was crazy at the time. But I have signed up, and it is in a month, and I have not trained nearly as much as I should have.)

My goal for tomorrow is to make the monthly meal plan. I like to meal plan. I usually plan a week in advance, but then I take a week or two off, due to sheer laziness, so I think doing the whole month will be good for me. And I need to add some more music and audiobooks to the iPhone, so I have things to listen to while out walking.

Off-topic: Jennifer, do you have everything ready to mail out tomorrow?

Laurel, I will be making my monthly menu tomorrow, as well.

I want to see a picture of that chart! Post something to my blog, too - it looks like I'm talking to myself all the time, LOL.

I am printing the book as we speak. Tomorrow I will get double-sided copies and stick it in the mail. Anyone who is reading it should be aware that they will probably get an email in a week or so with a new ending - LOL. Every time I re-read it I change it, but if I don't mail this off tomorrow, I'm never going to get anywhere!

Let it be known that Mindy doesn't need to lose anything. Not a single pound.

She looks fabulous and any of us would put a bathing suit on our body in a second if it looked like hers.

Carry on.

Bless you, Crissy....but I think I was probably 10 pounds thinner when you saw me. I don't need to lose much, but I do need to firm up before summer!! Sigh!

Let's see if I can figure out how to do an attachment. :-) My attachment was to big, so I uploaded it to savefile so, we'll see if this will work.

It says I have to have a username and password. I don't mind setting up an account -- kind of looks like a handy site (do you use it often?). But, just in case...am I missing an easier way?

Doran

p.s. Mindy, this says you posted at 2:10 am!! You animal, you! :glare:

I didn't have to log in. There is an orange button on the lower right that says "download file".

If it is the "Moli" screen, I had a hard time figuring it out. In the top right corner press on "skip this ad"

Also... Mindy or anyone... Can I change anything on Mindy's PDF? I would like to change/add the excercises.

Thanks! Moni

It says I have to have a username and password. I don't mind setting up an account -- kind of looks like a handy site (do you use it often?). But, just in case...am I missing an easier way?

Doran

p.s. Mindy, this says you posted at 2:10 am!! You animal, you! :glare:

Scroll down and click the orange download button and I think it will work.

It was only 11:10 my time, but dh went to sleep early and I stayed up way too late.....feeling slightly rebelious the whole time. ;)

I forgot to say thank you for sharing this great form! May I use it too?

I have been meaning to post that I'm in too! I fondly remember getting into better shape/habits along with Doran last year. That is after she made me have nightmares! (I can't talk about it scared001.gif)

I actually made some progress last year, but blew it over the winter. I just bundle up and drink hot beverages over the winter. Needless to say, I am again out of shape. I need this four week plan and began in earnest yesterday!

So, may I join you? sport040.gif

I forgot to say thank you for sharing this great form! May I use it too?

I have been meaning to post that I'm in too! I fondly remember getting into better shape/habits along with Doran last year. That is after she made me have nightmares! (I can't talk about it scared001.gif)

I actually made some progress last year, but blew it over the winter. I just bundle up and drink hot beverages over the winter. Needless to say, I am again out of shape. I need this four week plan and began in earnest yesterday!

So, may I join you? sport040.gif

Of course you can use that form. If you'd like I can take my exercise routine off there so you can fill in your own.

Hey! I'm glad to see everyone on board and making their charts!

WTMindy - how cool: thanks for making the blank charts!

I'm going to try to make my monthly menu today, but first I'm running all around town getting these books mailed off - hooray! - and grocery shopping, etc.

I'll check in later.

Well, not really. I'm gearing up right now. I started walking again this week, and I'm trying to be more conscious about my food intake. But, I'm not going to start charting anything until the beginning of the week. Mindy, I got into the files!! You are a dream-girl. I'm just going to use yours because it's so complete and tidy, and I can just print out another one if I don't like how the original is looking. You know, reinvent my diet any time I want. Bwwwahhhaaa! :lol:

I'm also hoping to get over to Annapolis to buy some hand and ankle weights on Sunday. I've been putting this off for half a year -- hoping I'd find a resource here locally. I put it out to a good friend who teaches exercise classes over in the D.C. area and has a house here in my neck 'o the woods. But, I haven't heard from her since that question was asked, so I presume she's forgotten. And the real truth is, I need to be dealing with this myself!!!

So, hopefully by Monday, I'll have a new exercise routine available to me (weights) -- if not, it'll just be walking and karate -- and I'll have this great chart, and I'll have a bunch of friends here cheering me on. I admit it...I'm not sure how well I'm going to do with this whole thing...and I'm a tad anxious. :confused:

Doran