Menu

Jamestown/Yorktown visit help

Are the Jamestown and Yorktown sites administered by the National Park Service "fun"? My 14yo has been doing the research for our trip and came up with info on the Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center. She thinks those look more interesting than what's described at the NPS website. But I think the "History is Fun" sites look too sanitized and theme-parkish, and after a day at Colonial Williamsburg we might be ready for a less commercialized experience.

I've read many of the threads here that mention Williamsburg - a wealth of information! If anybody can help me understand the Jamestown/Yorktown sites better, I'd appreciate it! (we leave in 3 days - dd threw a wrench into things when she told me about this other place).

Thanks.

We were at the NPS in February - we skipped the commercial ventures as well - I wanted to make sure we saw the real sites!!

And we had a good time - Jamestown was better liked than Yorktown by the kids. However, we attended the ranger talk at Yorktown and it was excellent!! If your kids are not too young (under 5) you should definitely hear the ranger led talk! After that most of the site is a driving tour - but the talk will make it far more interesting. Please hear the ranger, I think his talk was about 45 minutes - maybe longer but soooo worth it!!! One of the sites on the tour (roundout #? - which was very influential in winning the battle) will probably not be there when your kids are grown - it is right in the river bank and it slowly being eroded away - that alone is something to see befoer its gone. Yorktowne Victory Center can't recreate that! Well - they can but it won't mean anything.

There was lots to see at Jamestown as well. And like I said the kids liked it better.

You can take advantage of the junior ranger program - you buy a booklet at the giftshop with activities for them to complete and then they get a patch.

The road between the two sites is a pretty drive with some historical markers along the way.

We did both in one day - In hindsight, I wish we took a day for each.

BTW, Colonial Williamsburg did not strike me as commercialized at all. And they will get plenty of reenactment there if you decide not to do the other (non-NPS) sites at Yorktown and Jamestown.

Maybe the web site is theme-parkish but the places themselves are not. The interpreters are wonderful! We learned so much there.

At the Jamestown Settlement, they have replicas of the ships you can go on. There is nothing quite like going below deck and knowing how many people were there, how much stuff was there and how long they were down there all while bent over because you can't stand fully up. You can lay down on one of the crew's beds. They have a dug-out canoe in process. The Indian village is cool - you can walk into the homes. Last time we were there, they actually had a fire going in one and it was awful! Realistic but awful! My eyes watered the whole time, I came out coughing, my clothes smelled the rest of the day. The clothes weren't that bad but my hair was the worst! My kids tried their hands at weaving rope in the Indian village. My son heard that at his age he had to know how to shoot an arrow accurately or he wouldn't eat that day. Then the settlement itself, you can walk through every building. Last time we were there, they were unpacking some pork that had been salted, where else can you see that? They shoot off the guns. (They are loud enough that one of kids wanted to be far far away!) They have armor hats and breastplates for the elementary age kids to try on - how heavy they are! There was a working blacksmith.

The Yorktown Victory Center wasn't as big a deal to me. There is a military encampment that ds loves! Real tents, camp fires, women following the camp and doing laundry. The size difference between the officer tents and enlisted tents. Then there is a small house with garden and out buildings. The highlight at Yorktown last visit was ds was the "master at arms". He got to yell the soldiers' commands! My dad took him (we girls went shopping. DH stayed home.) and ds came home glowing!

You can get a ticket for both that is cheaper than a ticket each. Also if you think you are only going to do one, save your receipt just in case you decide to go to the other one.

Sorry if I sound like a commercial! We really enjoyed them though.

If we went to the area and only had time to go to one place it would be the National Parks Jamestown site.

1. Glassblowing demonstration ds can and has spent hours there. It fascinates him.

2. The interpreters at the Jamestwon settlesite (the real site) are the best. Try to catch the chicken lady if you can.

3. If is amazing what archeologists have unearthed during the past few years. You can see digs in progress, a new building dedicated to what has been found etc.

Granted if you have never seen the commerically fun site (with the ships etc you should go there at least once) We went once 5 years ago and enjoyed it but have never returned. We go to Williamsburg every year and always go to NPS at Jamestown for an entire day.

Guest Virginia Dawn

No matter which you choose, you will enjoy yourselves. If you choose the commercial sites, you will only give up money (;-) and the experience of seeing the actual sight of Jamestown. If you choose the NPS site, you will not have the extensive museum and interpreter experience.

Because 1. We had already been reinacted to bits at Williamsburg (which was great, btw) and

2. We have already "done" reinactments in Illinois (Civil War, Revolutionary War, WWII (really!!!), and living history settlements with butter churning, early farm chores, etc. AND a cool local French/Indian War reinactment complete with a wigwam and Indian village. So kinda "been there, done that".

3. How cool is it to step onto a real site in history?! Megacool!

If you have already had any experience with reinactments of early settlers, etc. I'd go for the real Jamestown site.

Thanks for all the feedback; I'm relieved to know that *all* of these places are worth visiting! It sounds like we will have fun no matter what we pick. I wish we had more time - I knew from reading the posts about Williamsburg that we should have allowed more time. But we have to squeeze in DC, too. :mellow:

If we went to the area and only had time to go to one place it would be the National Parks Jamestown site.

2. The interpreters at the Jamestwon settlesite (the real site) are the best. Try to catch the chicken lady if you can.

There were no interpreters at the NPS site the day we went - maybe because it was a cold and windy day? Perhaps the OP might inquire beforehand to see if there will be interpreters the day they plan to go. (I'm assuming you mean people dressed up and acting as if they were actually Jamestown settlers as opposed to docent volunteers offering historical information, answering questions, etc?)

I didn't think any of the sites were 'commercialized'. Someone mentioned the ranger-led talk at Yorktown Victory Center and I will agree that it was very good and really added to the experience, rather than just reading the plaques. The guy we had did a good job explaining to the kids what was going on at each stage of the Revolution, why it was so important, and brought it all to life in ways that the kids could understand. We joined up with a school group, and we usually se bored faces and/or goofing off, but they were all captivated by what the ranger had to say.

Jamestown has two sites, one is NPS the other is not. I haven't been to the NPS site but the other one was great! Yorktown has a visitors center possibly with museum (I haven't been there). The NPS has a welcome center and ranger talks. Then you tour the battlefield with a driving tour. The NPS center is near Colonial Yorktown, there are many cute shops, a few cafe type places to eat, historic church, monument etc. Also, if you stop in the post office you can get the local commemerative stamp and have your post cards hand cancelled with a Yorktown post mark (be sure to ask at the desk, don't just drop in a box or they get shipped off to a machine).

To make your life easier as you tour between the sites check out the Colonial Parkway. It connects all three sites and has great views of the York River and a few historic markers to check out. It is far less confusing than using normal roads although it may take a few more minutes. It also drops you directly at each site with out any hunting.

BTW when in Williamsburg don't forget to check out Wm. and Mary's Historic Campus at the end of Duke of G. Street. Also, if in need of quick refreshment there is a bakery behind one of the Taverns (Raleigh?) that has hot and cold drinks, sweets, and sometimes small sandwiches. Most of the fast food places are futher out of town and not in the Colonial Area. I have a friend who swears that the book store at the Visitors Center is one of the best places to browse for American history titles.

Just aways down highway 64 towards Norfolk is Ft. Monroe. They used to have a fun museum that showed army life from apx. the Civil War. EA Poe spent some time there in the military. Also there is the Mariners Museum, Virginia Living Museum and Viginia Military Museum.

Have a great trip!