Menu

Newbie needs some help!

k2bdeutmeyer

Hi everyone, I'm Kristin, mom to Shaylyn 9, Malea 3, and Easton 8months and I'm both new to the board (thanks Joanna) & homeschooling.

I could type out a novel, but the short version is that my daughter Shaylyn is NOT thriving in the public school environment and is bored to tears. The school is unwilling to work with us, and she is acting up as a result. So, we decided to homeschool for now :) It has been decided that next Friday will be her last day. I'm very excited to get started, but completely overwhelmed with curriculum choices.

So, please help me find curriculum (yes, I'm begging, LOL). I know everybody says to figure out her learning style and go with that, but I'm still overwhelmed.

She is in public school 4th grade right now, but reads at a 12th grade level, tests into sequential spelling book 4, and Horizons Math 5, book 1. So, I've picked the Horizons math, and the sequential spelling.....but then I'm stumped.

She picks things up quickly, and likes to be fast paced. She likes hands on, but also enjoys workbooks. She LOVES science and doing experiments, as well as art projects. I had picked out Lifepac for Science, History, and LA, but then read somewhere that they are fairly slow paced, which would not work well for her.

I am on about as tight of a budget as you can be (think I'm already spending money I don't have, LOL), and would love a Christian curriculum. I found CLE to be VERY affordable, but don't see many people using it. Is there a reason for that? I feel like I need something fairly structured, and thorough at least for the first year until I have a better handle on everything and can start to incorporate things on my own.

Any suggestions??? I can't get over how overwhelming it all is!

Thanks so much!

Hi Kirstin,

welcome on the board!

Have you ever seen a copy of the Well Trained Mind by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer? I wish I had read it before I started hs. It'll help you a lot to see the bigger picture and once you've got that it'll get easier to figure out the individual cucriculumn choices. Reading on the board for a few days should help quite a bit, too.

You could get your dd a lot of great books to read whilst you still figure out some choices.

We are very happy with CLE, and if you're on a budget-- it is the most affordable curriculum we've ever used. We are using it for LA, Math, and Reading. For a quick learner, you might find it helpful to skim over the workbooks ahead of time and cross off some of the review.

Have you looked at their placement tests yet? They're a little tricky to find so here are the links. You might need to do both the 100-400 and the 500-800 if she is above grade level.

Language Arts Diagnostic Tests 100-400

Language Arts Diagnostic Tests 100-400 Teacher's Manual

Language Arts 500-800 Diagnostic Tests

Language Arts 500-800 Diagnostic Test Teacher Manual

Math Diagnostic Tests 100-400

Math Diagnostic Tests 100-400 Teacher's Manual

Math 500-800 Diagnostic Test

Math 500-800 Diagnostic Test Teacher's Manual

I'd be glad to answer any questions you have about CLE. We've used more than a dozen curriculums over the last 5 years of homeschooling and this has been my favorite, by far for the $$. We're halfway through our first 'year' with it.

We have several things we use in addition to CLE, but if you're just starting out I'd just get started with that and add gradually.

We use Life of Fred math as well, and that can often be found at the library. I think quick learner could get through the first two books in 6 or 8 weeks a piece, so it would be possible to do an entire book just by checking it out from the library a few times. I don't necessarily think you HAVE to supplement CLE math, but we like Fred and it keeps things fun.

You will need to add some additional writing work to the LA, eventually. We've used IEW and just switched to MCT. Don't stress over that right away though. Take your time reading the boards and saving up some $. I'm using CLE with a 6th grader, so we need more writing work than you might need in 4th.

Congrats on your decision to homeschool! Sounds like you're already off to a good start.:001_smile:

Edited by homeschoolally

Please don't do CLE with this child. I have nothing against CLE, but a very advanced dc who is bored to tears doesn't need a spiral, solid, etc. type program. You need to get her something more efficient, something easier to accelerate, something easier to make fit her. CLE is fine, but I wouldn't do it with her.

You have some room here, because it's almost March. Why don't you try MCT for your LA and see what happens? Seriously. If you realize you want something different, you're not into a heavy commitment. You could always change paths in a few months or do something different for next year. It would be very out of the box, very interesting, and would give you more discussion and together time. Then you can see how she reacts to that and see how you want to proceed. It's meant for gifted/advanced kids, and she really might do very well with it.

Then I suggest you get MOH. Again it's something you can accelerate, use at her pace, and adapt to her. There are three levels of enrichment activities for each lesson, so you could go up or down, integrate writing, do more hands-on, whatever you want. It would bring in that strong Christian element you're wanting and make up for using a secular LA. I'm with you on the christian materials, but I'd really take a look at MCT.

You have your math. Do you have a science? The Elements by Ellen McHenry is fun. Or just ask her what she wants to study and pick a book to go with it. We've been working through Kitchen Chemistry, and it has been fun. You're talking two months here to think through. Then you can go to a state convention and see more options.

Normally they say to de-school. I've never pulled a kid out of school, but when my friends did in a similar situation (very bright kids not getting accomodated), they did not deschool. They just jumped right in. I think the materials I'm suggesting, materials that use a lot of discussion and are extremely high interest (MCT, MOH, etc.) will help bridge that gap. Then if you realize you want to go into R&S grammar or somethign in the fall, more power to you. Or maybe she'd really love to go into a heavy workbooky approach right now, don't know. That's your assessment of her I guess. I'd probably do a mix of some workbooky and some discussion-based materials. My dd10 is really hitting her streak hard where she wants to be independent, but even then we like to have a time where we do a little bit together.

Try to spend some of your homeschooling budget and get her good books. Think BOOKS, NOT CURRICULUM. She doesn't want a reading curriculum; she wants real books. My dd adored the Sam Campbell series at that age. It's humorous and nature-filled. She's into TinTin now. She also started getting into living math books a year ago. There are a lot of cute ones (Gebra Named Al, etc.).

OhElizabeth - Thank you!!

Okay.....I've done some more research and here's what I'm thinking.....thoughts?

LA - MCT (Grammar Town & Sentence Island), and Wordly Wise

Spelling - Sequential Spelling

Social Studies - MOH

Science - The Elements (I think she will LOVE this!)

Math - Horizons

I'd love to add in some Spanish and keyboarding....any suggestions?

Ditch the Wordly Wise. It's gagging boring. Caesar's English 1 would be the vocab for that level of MCT, right? That's what you want. It's TERRIFIC and will be a LOT more fun for her than WW. Don't buy WW.

Now on the spelling, are you sure she actually needs spelling?? If she doesn't need spelling, you're going to find you wasted money on that program. I haven't used Sequential Spelling, but isn't it a teacher-driven program where you spell through words? I just doubt she's going to need that. I'd give her a placement test or look at her writing and see. I think you could either do no spelling for a while and see where she's at (perfectly fine option) or find some fun workbook to do, just sort of a lick and a promise. Remember, you DON'T have to ramp up fully at first! You're jumping into a lot of things all at once. You have preteen dynamics, precocious kids, deschooling, learning how to teach, learning how to be together all day and still have peace, learning what types of routines and schedules work best for you. It's really ok to start with just a core of things and then add stuff later, kwim?

Instead of spelling, have you thought about some fun workbooks like Editor in Chief or things you find at the teacher supply store? Editor in Chief covers basic editing, run-ons, homonyms, lots of useful things, and it's not tedious. I have fun workbooks of puns and just silliness I toss in every so often. Nothing says your spelling has to be formal. I'd just do a little something to that effect and call it good for right now. Don't overload yourself at first or plunk out a lot of money right now. You want to see where she's at skillwise. You want to see how you guys like to work together. If you put your teacher-driven time into things like MCT and MOH, I think you might want the balance of having workbooks and more independent things for the other subjects. The Elements is something she can read and do for herself. At least my dd does. I'm still pondering how to make MCT more independent. The vocab in MCT is fabulous, so please don't skip it. You'll totally kick yourself if you get Wordly Wise instead. They're NOT equivalent, lol.

Typing Instructor Deluxe for Kids is fabulous. It's inexpensive at Timberdoodle. Spanish, hmmm, can't help you there. Maybe a co-op class next fall? That would give her some balance in her schedule (some things independent, some things with Mom, some things outside home).

BTW, if anyone who happens to love Wordly Wise wants to take issue with my comments, please consider them in context. I tried it with my dd and sold the books off. I'm sure they're great for the right dc. They just don't make sense if you have an advanced dc who is doing the other MCT stuff. Since MCT stuff goes together, it makes more sense to do CE.

Double btw. You might as well get the MCT poetry too and complete the set. Less time doing spelling and stuff she doesn't need and more time doing stuff she'll enjoy. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

As the parent of an eclectic mix of learners I would suggest TOG. It is not inexpensive but it can be used over and over at different levels which would make it pretty cheap in the long run. Since it is mulit level you could easily choose between the various levels for your advanced daughter. She would not be bored. If you are looking for just history I would highly recommend Diana Warings curriculum. It can be found at christianbook.com as well as on the AIG website.

I personally use sequential splelling for my dyslexic son and loveit but I have also found that spelling is not necessary anymore for my older DD although she does it with her brother to challenge him since he needs that.

My suggestion would be to check if there are any homeschool groups in your area and talk to the Mom's their about finding an evaluator. We had a lovely woman in FL evaluate our children and she was very great at helping us to figure out what to do with each child curriculum wise. For instance she suggested we forgo spelling in 6th grade for my older DD and recommended we do only one year of an all in one grammar with her as well. Since your daughter has such an advanced reading level I would imagine she would test out in a similar way. Having been in public school she might not even need any more grammar either, a good writing curriculum would reinforce what she already knows and keep it fresh. TOG has a writing program and it would fit the bill for that.

For Math if she is a highly visual learner she would probably do very well with Teaching Textbooks. We used about every Math program out there and have found it to be the best fit for us.

Blessings,

Hope

Ok, since she's an excellent speller, DON'T do a formal spelling program right now. You can always add something in later if you realize she has some holes in forming plurals or other things. Focus on a few things, get them up and running, then see where you're at.

TM's for MCT? Actually you can do the tm's and skip the student books. Don't overspend on this. There's no break in shipping or price drop for ordering more. I suggest you start with just what you really think you need, then order a dab more if you need more stuff. It takes less than a week to get to you. :)

There's a very active MCT yahoo group you should join as well.

BTW, are you planning on attending a convention? The convention in Cincinnati is coming up in April, and if you're at all anywhere close to consider coming, it's quite large. MCT will be there in person, speaking and showing his stuff. This convention is growing by such leaps and bounds, people fly in for it. It's worth it. :)

Please don't do CLE with this child. I have nothing against CLE, but a very advanced dc who is bored to tears doesn't need a spiral, solid, etc. type program. You need to get her something more efficient, something easier to accelerate, something easier to make fit her. CLE is fine, but I wouldn't do it with her.

You have some room here, because it's almost March. Why don't you try MCT for your LA and see what happens? Seriously. If you realize you want something different, you're not into a heavy commitment. You could always change paths in a few months or do something different for next year. It would be very out of the box, very interesting, and would give you more discussion and together time. Then you can see how she reacts to that and see how you want to proceed. It's meant for gifted/advanced kids, and she really might do very well with it.

Then I suggest you get MOH. Again it's something you can accelerate, use at her pace, and adapt to her. There are three levels of enrichment activities for each lesson, so you could go up or down, integrate writing, do more hands-on, whatever you want. It would bring in that strong Christian element you're wanting and make up for using a secular LA. I'm with you on the christian materials, but I'd really take a look at MCT.

You have your math. Do you have a science? The Elements by Ellen McHenry is fun. Or just ask her what she wants to study and pick a book to go with it. We've been working through Kitchen Chemistry, and it has been fun. You're talking two months here to think through. Then you can go to a state convention and see more options.

Normally they say to de-school. I've never pulled a kid out of school, but when my friends did in a similar situation (very bright kids not getting accomodated), they did not deschool. They just jumped right in. I think the materials I'm suggesting, materials that use a lot of discussion and are extremely high interest (MCT, MOH, etc.) will help bridge that gap. Then if you realize you want to go into R&S grammar or somethign in the fall, more power to you. Or maybe she'd really love to go into a heavy workbooky approach right now, don't know. That's your assessment of her I guess. I'd probably do a mix of some workbooky and some discussion-based materials. My dd10 is really hitting her streak hard where she wants to be independent, but even then we like to have a time where we do a little bit together.

Try to spend some of your homeschooling budget and get her good books. Think BOOKS, NOT CURRICULUM. She doesn't want a reading curriculum; she wants real books. My dd adored the Sam Campbell series at that age. It's humorous and nature-filled. She's into TinTin now. She also started getting into living math books a year ago. There are a lot of cute ones (Gebra Named Al, etc.).

:iagree: Great post. 2 months to get started, and an entire spring to look towards the future. Looks like you'll be off to a great start. Welcome to the boards.

When she misspells a word have her look it up in the dictionary to find the correct spelling on her own or something along those lines.

:iagree:

She can use a list of rules and figure out why she misspelled the word, making up a spelling notebook with reason(s) why she misspelled a word and if there is a rule or not. It's best to group the words by the reason they were misspelled.

Here are some lists of rules:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77560

I also have some rules linked at the end of my how to tutor page, you could print out #5 and #6, spelling and syllable division rules (some of the syllable division rules have spelling implications.) These rule do not include suffix rules, those are covered in my phonics lesson 22 and my spelling lessons.

She could also watch my spelling movies to get a quick overview of the rules.

You go girl! That's an awesome list! You know, you might also throw some Mindbenders or Grid Perplexors in there. Just make sure you go up to a high enough level. (Don't go by the ages.) My dd enjoys the Mindbenders, but I think the Grid Perplexors are supposed to be a better value, with more per book. Either way, they're fun. :)