Menu

college wants an additional statement because my son's "test scores are rather low"

Nicole M

I'm confused. How do I frame this letter? I have already provided information about how great my son is (wan smile), and we submitted more than the usual letters from outside sources. But now, "...it would be helpful if you could inform us about E's learning and test taking styles, and tell us about what conditions/situations we should take into account when reviewing his file. It is important to be specific, give examples to make it less abstract." Then she states that it's "time to brag."

How would you frame this? This is a child who is a slow, meticulous test taker, but also somewhat anxious. Timed tests are always problematic for him. He's also struggled with health issues, chronic sinusitis. Is it possible to explain without sounding like you're making excuses?

And these scores are up a couple hundred points from the first time he took the test. Gah.

This has really taken the wind out of my sails.

Any words of wisdom?

Oh, I am so sorry that you are feeling dismayed.

Has this school seen a portfolio of your son's work? One of my friends has a son who does not test well. She said that a transcript and test report would never begin to paint the picture of who her son is so they included a portfolio with CD musical clips of his vocal performance, photos of various projects and samples of work.

I realize that they are requesting another letter. Given that you have already provided information, it does seem redundant. Are they perhaps weighing what (if any) additional services might be needed? I would be honest in painting the picture of who your student is. Frankly, I think that there is a lot to be said for thoughtful and meticulous people. Perhaps the word list that Kareni has distributed could help you determine the right spin?

Big hugs,

Jane

But aren't they asking you exactly for those excuses? It sounds to me like they are asking you for exactly what you told us - why this otherwise-good student didn't do very well on the standardized tests. If you say that he hasn't had much practice with them and so was rather anxious, that he wasn't feeling well at the time, and that he generally is a slow, meticulous worker rather than a speedy, sloppy one, and that those things combined to make his score less than stellar, they should be reassured, right? You could even tell them how much his score improved when he took it the second time, which would show how much anxiety and unfamiliarity played into the equation.

I have one of those slow and methodical test takers. Fortunately (maybe? sigh) he chose to go to a school where his less than they should have been scores were average, so nobody questioned it. Otherwise, we probably would have been in your shoes. I think I would be grateful to the school for giving you a chance to explain rather than just dropping him. There must be something else about him that makes them want him, so you just need to give them an excuse.

But maybe I am being naive.

Nan

Thank you, both of you.

This is just a killer week for me. I worked the Prothero lecture on Monday, I am working three major performances and a big deal masterclass during the remainder of this week, then my son is performing twice, both on piano and singing. And somewhere in there, I need to squeeze in some lessons. I did not want to have to think about this letter!

They already have a CD, a stunning letter from his choir director and numerous samples of his work. The choir director had a difficult time loading the letter at the Common App website, so she forwarded it to me. Holy cow! I read that and thought, well, even if the doesn't get into any college, I still have that letter, and I am fortunate to have raised a really fine young man!

I just need time to think about it, and don't have a lot of time. Maybe I should ditch lessons tomorrow, go to the library, and think. Gah.

Hello Nicole,

I can hear your frustration, and I sympathize.

The impression I get from what you described is that the college does not want to deny E admission, rather they are looking for reasons to admit him. So, your task is to give them whatever you can to move them in that direction. No pressure, eh?

Some random thoughts -- E has taken some college classes, yes? How did he fare? If the college's concern is that he is able to handle college classes and he has already shown that he can, I'd play that up.

Does he have accommodations of any kind? If not, I'd stress how well he has done without them. Will he seek accommodations at college? Then I'd point out that he is likely to do even better.

If other thoughts occur to me, I'll send them your way.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks, Kareni. I have carved out some time to think this over, and will factor in the college classes.

Accommodations. Good thing to mention, that he hasn't had any. I have been wondering if I shouldn't have had him tested for some learning issues, but then figured it was too late, and that slow and thoughtful was just how he rolled. I will have to re-think that, too.

Done! Thank you, everyone. I spent several hours in the morning working up a draft, and Pam of the Flaming Sword has generously spent an enormous amount of time poring over it to help smooth out the letter.

This was actually a very useful process, and I am glad I was asked to do this. It's helped me to synthesize my thoughts about why my son works so slowly, and to articulate what the advantages are of having that kind of habit of engaging with the world.

Tomorrow, actual school for the neglected youngest child!

Thanks again for your encouragement.

Done! Thank you, everyone. I spent several hours in the morning working up a draft, and Pam of the Flaming Sword has generously spent an enormous amount of time poring over it to help smooth out the letter.

This was actually a very useful process, and I am glad I was asked to do this. It's helped me to synthesize my thoughts about why my son works so slowly, and to articulate what the advantages are of having that kind of habit of engaging with the world.

Tomorrow, actual school for the neglected youngest child!

Thanks again for your encouragement.

:thumbup: Good, glad you got that done, amidst everything else!

Do you mind sharing some of the things you figured out about your son by doing this? I'm asking because my son is slow about meticulous also. He did decently on tests, but could have done very well on tests if he could work at his own pace--which is way too slow for the timed tests! I agree that those that work this way miss out on showing their TRUE capabilities when all they can show is their tests scores! Just looking for any ideas I may be able to incorporate....

:thumbup: Good, glad you got that done, amidst everything else!

Do you mind sharing some of the things you figured out about your son by doing this? I'm asking because my son is slow about meticulous also. He did decently on tests, but could have done very well on tests if he could work at his own pace--which is way too slow for the timed tests! I agree that those that work this way miss out on showing their TRUE capabilities when all they can show is their tests scores! Just looking for any ideas I may be able to incorporate....

I guess the biggest thing I realized is that we could have improved his scores if he'd started practicing taking tests earlier. In the letter I discussed that the public school he was in up until the end of 5th grade had become a very stressful environment because of the WASL test. Everyone was stressed out about it, teachers, staff, students, and my son is very sensitive, and picked up on the subtle bullying from the teacher. What I did not discuss was the fact that the poor boy was in the fast lane to an ulcer and starting to exhibit some compulsive tendencies. So when he left school it took a long, long time for him to detox from that, and at the same time, he was suffering from chronic sinusitis, which really slowed him down.

So, yes, in retrospect, given his strong desire to succeed and his driven nature, the way that he perseveres with a challenge, it seemed pretty clear that more practice on timed tests would have been helpful. But we don't get do-overs and, honestly, we would have had to give up so much to train him to test well. In the end, you have to decide what is a priority, I suppose.

I guess if I could have a do-over, I would have been more aggressive in putting together a larger portfolio of his work for his application process. I should have seen the writing on the wall about the scores, but, for a variety of reasons, couldn't get that together. Also, if I'd known that he had this hidden passion for all things sustainability related, alternative fuel, car engines, etc., I would have tried to get him into a situation where he could be a helper at some guy's garage, where he could learn first hand about engine conversion. ("Honey, why are you subscribed to this Electric Car news flyer thingy?") It's a subtle balance, isn't it? Nurturing their passions and generating "evidence" of their academic skills and capabilities.

My son is on a plane right now, flying to the frigid north for a voice audition at another school (one that gives you the option to not have your SAT scores considered as part of the decision process). Flying always makes him sick, so I am hoping his sinuses behave and that he is able to really shine at this audition.

Also, to Polly, thank you for asking. I will keep you posted. We expect to start hearing in a few weeks.

My son is on a plane right now, flying to the frigid north for a voice audition at another school (one that gives you the option to not have your SAT scores considered as part of the decision process). Flying always makes him sick, so I am hoping his sinuses behave and that he is able to really shine at this audition.

Sending good thoughts for a great audition for your son, Nicole! (And for smooth flights with no unexpected layovers ....)

Regards,

Kareni

I don't have a high school student, but reading your post, I just had to share this with you.

My husband was not a great tester...as a matter of fact, he was not even great in school. When he went to college, he actually dropped out after a semester or two (his dad died during this time, so it was really understandable). When he went back, he decided to go into engineering. Let me just say that "slow and meticulous" is honestly the way I would describe 99% of the things my husband does. He CAN'T be rushed. This used to drive me absolutely BATTY - especially when what he was doing was something *I* needed done, like yesterday. However, over the 8 years we have been together, I have really come to respect his slow and meticulous nature. He is one heck of an engineer and he gets glorified praise from everyone who works with him. He is now in upper level management and "over" several other engineers, tech writers, and CAD operators. He has done well for himself and I really think that "slow and meticulous" for him translates to "think before you act or speak," "do it the right way the first time...even if it takes longer," and many other positive things. Don't let anything take the wind out of your sails - your son will do great..no matter where he goes to school or what he does - it sounds like he is a thoughtful and wonderful person. :)

Don't let anything take the wind out of your sails - your son will do great..no matter where he goes to school or what he does - it sounds like he is a thoughtful and wonderful person. :)

This is so kind. Thank you for your story.

It's funny. I was thinking today, why does that kid move so slowly? The only thing quick about him is his dry wit. Oh, and his ear for music. If those synapses are firing quickly, why can't all the other ones get a move on, too? :D

I have asked myself this about my middle one many times. He's fast enough to be good at gymnastics. It isn't deliberate. I don't think it can be trained out of him, at least not in a general way. I found that balance you talked about frustratingly unsubtle. My poor son was definately baffled about why he couldn't just do some things. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
Nicole,

I didn't post because I had nothing to add to the great advice you were given, BUT, I wanted to ask you to please be sure to let us know how this all turns out in the end! Wishing you and your son the best! :)

Well, we had a "no" today from the school that requested the additional information. We knew this school was a long shot; my son is taking it in stride. "This will just make my decision easier." But I, of course, am doubting every decision I've made up until this point, second guessing... all that stuff that I know is useless nonsense. We haven't heard back from others yet, so we'll see.

Thanks for asking, and for the kind wishes.

Well, we had a "no" today from the school that requested the additional information. We knew this school was a long shot; my son is taking it in stride. "This will just make my decision easier." But I, of course, am doubting every decision I've made up until this point, second guessing... all that stuff that I know is useless nonsense. We haven't heard back from others yet, so we'll see.

Awww, Nicole. I'm so sorry! If you continue to feel discouraged, will you PM me?

I'll pray for encouragement for you and for a quick answer from the other schools.

Bless you and your son!

Oh, I'm sorry Nicole! I can understand the questions...and re-evaluating is always good...just be sure to be moderate about it. You haven't done everything wrong and may not have done *anything* wrong. :) Be reasonable with yourself!

Hoping you will get some good news soon!

First acceptance letter! I cannot even begin to say how relieved I am. It's the college where my husband and I work, postively his last choice ("Mom! Our name is so unusual and everyone knows dad and his highwaters, they'll automatically know who I am!"). But at least we know now that a) I didn't ruin him and b) he will not have to suffer an involuntary gap year.

Also, basically, my "income" just more-than-doubled. :D

Edited by Nicole M

First acceptance letter! I cannot even begin to say how relieved I am. It's the college where my husband and I work, positively his last choice ("Mom! Our name is so unusual and everyone knows dad and his highwaters, they'll automatically know who I am!"). But at least we know now that a) I didn't ruin him and b) he will not have to suffer an involuntary gap year.

Hey, hey, hey! Congratulations to you and your young man, Nicole!

Regards,

Kareni