Menu

Need help understanding unspoken sports teams' guidelines

We have gotten involved with a homeschool league. Everyone has been very nice. However, it is obvious that my kids, with the exception of one, are not normally starting potential. Some of the kids from this league go on to get college scholarships and some of the families are a lot more serious about this sport than we are. My kids are getting good physical exercise, making good friends, and are happy with their amount of playing time. Right now there really isn't a problem. As they advance in the age of their teams, it may become more obvious (almost certainly will) that they are not in the same talent and ability class as their teammates. What I am wondering if the fact that my kids (and some others) are obviously not star potential irritates some of the more serious families and if they wish they weren't in the league. Even if this is true, I guess it shouldn't me bother me as long as my my kids are happy there. Anyone have any insight into this?

You might be shocked what two or three extra hours of practice per week can do for your kids in terms of skill and stamina. Is there a way you can get your kids running and practicing some basic skills (depending on the sport) on their own time 2-3 hours per week? Yes, some kids have more natural ability than others. But the *real* difference, especially in kids' sports, is between the kids who get out and practice with Dad after dinner, or run around on their own with friends a few extra times per week or who join multiple teams so they get additional practice and playing time in. If you can get your kids doing just some *portion* of that, you may see a major difference.

Otherwise, I'd just continue encouraging the kids to work hard, pay close attention during practices and games, and generally display the character and attitudes you expect from them in all other aspects of life.

My 8 year old son just started Upwards Basketball and already I can see a big difference in ability and experience between him and most of the rest of the team. I'm trying to decide if I should try to find a way for him to get more outside practice which will mean more money and time from us to find facilities for the practice and time for us to practice one on one with him or if we should just encourage him to do what he can and wait and see if he wants to continue playing next winter. And he still needs to work on interacting with the other team members who are mostly public schoolers which I do think is a good life skill for him to have which is a part of the character building that Abbey talks about.

What sport?

I am trying to think of a team sport that has scholarship potential athletes with average athletes.

It is my experience that most athletes with scholarship potential are on "travel" teams. And even on travel teams, there is a pecking order. It can get ugly, depending on the coaches and the parents.

In my experience, when the time comes that coaches/ parents/ players do not want your kids on the team, you will know.

Around here it is called "running them off". Coaches will severely restrict playing time, be harder on that kid than others, etc. Basically they will make it uncomfortable enough that you want to leave on your own.

Sometimes, the coaches are respectful and just tell the parents at the end of the season that the team is going in another direction. Much nicer than "running them off" IMO.

If a coach starts talking to you about another league or team that might be good for your dc, take the hint.

What sport? I, too, am having a hard time picturing the scenario. If it is rec league level, or Upwards, or something similar I think your dc should be able to play as long as they want to. If the other parents want something more competitive, THEY are the ones in the wrong place.

Marie

Competitive homeschool basketball. Everyone has been very nice, but I am concerned about the issues stated for upper high school. If we do get "run off" there is a private school my child can play for that is actually not near as good as the homeschool team and not very far from home. And w3e re going to do camps this summer and my children do practice a lot outside of official practice.

Competitive homeschool basketball. Everyone has been very nice, but I am concerned about the issues stated for upper high school. If we do get "run off" there is a private school my child can play for that is actually not near as good as the homeschool team and not very far from home. And w3e re going to do camps this summer and my children do practice a lot outside of official practice.

Good luck! It sounds like you have a good plan.