Menu

If you don't use TQ, SOTW, BP, TOG, or MOH & you have 3+ kids, what DO you use????

Heather in OK

I'm trying to muddle my way around to find something for next year. And I'm getting frustrated.

When my oldest two were young we used SOTW 1 & 2. They enjoyed it. However, I don't see how it will stimulate learning and be challenging to them now that they are 10 and 12 (in 4 days :) ) .

Then we moved to TQ AHYS 1 & 2 (I wasn't pleased with how SOTW 3 laid things out). They did pretty well with it, I felt like they were learning, and we all enjoyed it.

This year we've been doing TQ AHYS 3. And we hate it. I do not like how the history is just all clumped together from 1920s on. We're going to muddle through it and my wonderful, history-buff husband is helping.

So here we are, ready to go through the cycle again next year with the Ancients. I will have all four children participating. They will be 7th, 5th, 3rd, and K. Ideally I would like:

- a multi-level curriculum.

- something I can re-use when we go through the cycle again (and that would provide High School credits).

- something that will challenge the older ones, cause them to really think about and consider the events of history.

- something that leans towards a Christian world view.

I've been leaning towards TOG since it seems to fit these wishes. That and I showed it to my dh and he was impressed.

Since we all have children with different learning needs and our own preferences I'm finding it's hard to read reviews. For every raving review I find, I read three more that dislike it. Of course I don't expect to find something that everyone just adores. I'm just wondering if there are other options out there that I am missing.

Thanks!

We love MFW, and although it does utilize SOTW, it uses much more than that as well. Also, it doesn't use SOTW at all in CTG. The only issue I'd have is that maybe your K child couldn't fit into the mix. We are doing MFW CTG this year and are loving it!! It leans a lot more towards the Biblical history and ancients...I feel we've gotten a lot from it and we have really enjoyed it! I know it's not for everyone, but it's been such a blessing for us.

The only issue I'd have is that maybe your K child couldn't fit into the mix.

I don't mind using SOTW for the littles I guess, which would be great for them to understand and have things to do. That would be easy to incorporate since I've used it before. I just don't see how it will work with my oldest two.

We're doing world geo. this year and next (Galloping the Globe). So can we start with Year Two?

I'll go check them out. :) Thanks!

** Looking at their site: I really don't need science or word roots. It seems like a really expensive curriculum when I'm simply looking for history.

Any other suggestions? Keep them coming! :)

Edited by Heather in OK

We mostly use Ambleside Online and http://www.simplycharlottemason.com . I don't have each child in his/her own year of Ambleside. I usually pick a main year for a particular child and then fit everyone else in around that year plan. This year is mainly an Ambleside Year 7 and Year 2 with age appropriate reading for each child using Simply Charlotte Mason (and other book list) suggestions.

For my two older children, I have used Kolbe's literature and history plans.

HTH

Guest Cindie2dds

For kids your age, have you looked here? Easy Pack E is an Ancient Egypt, Rome and Greece. You could combine your kids. If you've used TQ, you obviously are comfortable doing your own thing. Just a thought. :) Let us know what you decide on!

HOD has ancients guide out. Great for the olders, then you could add in books on your youngers levels using All Through the Ages by Christine Miller to keep them all together. You get the guide at a great price and can get just the history books or packages to also include sci, bible, etc.

Would be easy to use for high school by adding in books for the olders from All Through the Ages when you go through the 2nd time.

SCM - Am I missing something about this one? All I see under History is through Ancient Rome. If so then after next year, my hunt starts all over again.

If you've used TQ, you obviously are comfortable doing your own thing.

Well, yeah. But I'm kind of getting tired of it. LOL That's why I've been drawn to TOG. I don't mind gathering some books and materials. I just need something with more meat.

What is HOD?

Guest Cindie2dds
SCM - Am I missing something about this one? All I see under History is through Ancient Rome. If so then after next year, my hunt starts all over again.

SCM is great! The website is full of amazing information, both free and inexpensive. The Ancient Egypt is good. I like the new book list better; however, it is not as "meaty" as the other Modules she has put together, especially if you are used to TQ. If I were using SCM for older kids (3rd and up), I would combine it with something like either the books in Queen's Easy Pack E or books from Greenleaf's Ancients. Just another thought. ;)

What is HOD?

Heart Of Dakota

http://www.heartofdakota.com

The have up to Ancients right now, the next 3 parts of the history cycle are coming out. The second is about to be released and you can see all the book choices in the Bookstore link if you scroll to the bottom. Creation to Christ is the Ancients guide and you can see it here. Be sure to look at the notebook sample pages, they are awesome!!! You can also see a sample week of plans.

This shows their future plans. There are extensions for older students, and you can so easily add the lit choices from Christine Miller's book for the youngers. I think HOD is so easy to do this with if that is your goal. I think you can combine just as successfully as you can with MFW, even though HOD isn't billed as that.