Menu

Biology texts

Can anyone compare the Miller Levine text with the parrot on the front with the Cambell's texts? There was an earlier thread on this, but it never answered the question.

I've read a lot of threads on the Cambell books, and I'm STILL confused about the difference between each cover. I'm looking for a freshman, honors biology, but not necessarily AP.

TIA

I think Concepts & Connections is the Honors level.

Campbell & Reese Biology is used for AP. It's a college level science majors text, but Pearson publishes an AP version that includes study tips for the AP. Otherwise I believe the content is identical.

Campbell's Biology: Exploring Life is a 9th-10th grade level book. I understand, from what others have posted here, that it's a bit more rigorous than the Miller & Levine book.

We're using Exploring Life and I love it (as does DS). I think if you wanted to turn it into an Honors course, you could do extra labs with it. We're planning to do lots of dissections and additional lab work, using kits and materials from Carolina Biological. We're also using the Biology and Zoology Coloring Workbooks, and we have an excellent microscope and college-level slide set.

Jackie

Can anyone compare the Miller Levine text with the parrot on the front with the Cambell's texts? There was an earlier thread on this, but it never answered the question.

TIA

I'm fairly certain the Miller/Levine book with the parrot is new. The previous edition had a dragonfly on the cover. You might try a search for Miller dragonfly. HTH.

and was told that the Miller/Levine replaced Campbell texts, since he had passed away. I saw two posters who tried the Miller/Levine and did not like it, but don't remember specifics. I just purchased the iguana eye Campbell (Exploring Life, 9-12th grade) and like it a lot and had looked carefully at the AP Campbell/Reece (with white flower on black cover) that my older son uses for his public school course, also. His very gifted and caring teacher, LOVES this text and uses it to very good advantage, and my son likes it too. He is using it for a single level IB class.

All of the igauna eye high school Campbell are the same, just had copyright updates....so getting an older version is less expensive, and the lab books and other extras are easier to find. I have not used it yet, but just went thru the research and buying process (I don't want to sound like I'm an expert on this, just that after my long research its the one I chose for my younger son.)I purchased a Teacher Express CD-ROM that I thought would be helpful but I have not found much on it yet that I care for.

I am in the middle of figuring out CPO and Hewitt, and the myriad of different editions and levels, so feel your pain as you try to figure out Campbell. One tip (NOT from me, but from some sharper tool here at WTM): watch for state versions that usually just vary slightly in content, if at all, you can often pick up used copies and TEs, so much cheaper. Also, go to the publisher's website, and click thru to the actual textbook to see all the free online helps and supports you can get to, PLUS, there is usually a link that will show older editions. When you pull up the older edition page, you can usually access all the ISBN numbers to do searches at used textbook sites, etc. At Amazon and other sites you have to be aware of exactly what the cover looks like sometimes, to dicern the book/edition/text or manual that you are actually ordering.

I hope this may help,

LBS

Edited by LBS

I cannot compare the texts. However, dd did use the Dragonfly PH text last year. We covered each and every chapter and it is most assuredly an honors level class. DH (biology major who "taught" the class) agrees with the honors designation.

No offense, but this opinion is not shared by the publisher. Pearson/PH does not consider either Exploring Life or the Miller/Levine Biology book to be honors level:

The Miller & Levine Biology: Foundations text is listed as "below grade level:"

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ16f&filter_161=&filter_422=&filter_423=6732&filter_281=&filter_425=&programFilterTypeList=161%2C422%2C423%2C424%2C281%2C425&PMDbSiteid=2781&PMDbSolutionid=6724&PMDbSubSolutionid=&PMDbCategoryid=814&PMDbSubcategoryid=24824&&filter_424=24743

The Campbell Concepts & Connections text and Biology text (along with several other texts by different authors) are listed as "Honors and AP:"

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ16f&filter_161=&filter_422=&filter_423=6732&filter_281=&filter_425=&programFilterTypeList=161%2C422%2C423%2C424%2C281%2C425&PMDbSiteid=2781&PMDbSolutionid=6724&PMDbSubSolutionid=&PMDbCategoryid=814&PMDbSubcategoryid=24824&&filter_424=24761

Exploring Life and Miller/Levine Biology are listed as "on level" (which would be 9th-10th grade):

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ16f&filter_161=&filter_422=&filter_423=6732&filter_281=&filter_425=&programFilterTypeList=161%2C422%2C423%2C424%2C281%2C425&PMDbSiteid=2781&PMDbSolutionid=6724&PMDbSubSolutionid=&PMDbCategoryid=814&PMDbSubcategoryid=24824&&filter_424=29860

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

You can look inside the Miller and Levine textbook here:

http://www.biology.com/preview_biology.html

You have to register, but it's simple and then you can see inside the whole text.

I'm very interested in this since I have a dd taking Biology next yr which I'll have to teach.

My dd did use the Cambpells Concepts and Connections through Scholars Online. She learned a TON. She retained a lot. She remembers a lot of specifics a yr later and got a 4 on the AP test after only studying for 2 weeks.

So, comparing the texts: I read both chapters on cellular respiration, which to me is a difficult subject. The Campbell book was MUCH more indepth going way into the chemistry of cellular respiration. It was easily understandable in small chunks; for example, if I concentrated and took notes I could learn it. After a while my mind drifted and nothing was retained. In other words, there is a lot of complex information that requires constant processing and concentration to learn. It would take a lot of time, but it could provide a great Biology background if you have a student willing to put the time in.

Miller and Levine for this chapter was very similar to BJU Life science (this isn't to say that Miller and Levine is equal in difficulty, just that it's not guite so big of a jump up as Campbells would be). It was easy to read, easy to remember, but seemed to just gloss over the chemistry part of cellular respiration. This is probably all that is needed in high school.

My dd's comment about Campbell's text was, "Will you really need to know that much about biolgy?"

Granted, I've only skimmed both texts and this is a very simplistic overview.

Edited by Michelle in AL

You can look inside the Miller and Levine textbook here:

http://www.biology.com/preview_biology.html

Thank you so much for posting this ~ I've wanted to look through this text, but we already own so many Biology texts I didn't want to buy another one!

After reading through the online text, I agree with Michelle's assessment. The Miller & Levine text seems to be written in a more casual style, with lower level vocabulary, and (IMO) less detailed information. For example, here are 2 paragraphs on lysosomes:

Miller & Levine, Biology p. 198:

Even the neatest, cleanest factory needs a cleanup crew, and that's where lysosomes come in. Lysosomes are small organelles filled with enzymes. Lysosomes break down lipids, carbohydrates, and proteins into small molecules that can be used by the rest of the cell. They are also involved in breaking down organelles that have outlived their usefulness. Lysosomes perform the vital function of removing "junk" that might otherwise accumulate and clutter up the cell. A number of serious human diseases can be traced to lysosomes that fail to function properly. Biologists once thought that lysosomes were only found in animals cells, but it is now clear that lysosomes are also found in a few specialized types of plant cells.

Campbell, Exploring Life p. 127:

Membrane-bound sacs called lysosomes contain digestive enzymes that can break down such macromolecules as proteins, nucleic acids, and polysaccharides (figure 6-23). Lysosomes have several functions. They fuse with incoming food vacuoles and expose the nutrients to enzymes that digest them, thereby nourishing the cell. Lysosomes also function like safety officers when they help destroy harmful bacteria. In certain cells ~ for example, your white blood cells ~ lysosomes release enzymes into vacuoles that contain trapped bacteria and break down the bacterial cell walls. Similarly, lysosomes serve as recycling centers for damaged organelles. Without harming the cell, a lysosome can engulf and digest another organelle. This makes molecules available for the construction of new organelles.

That seems to support the opinion I've seen posted in other threads here, that Exploring Life falls somewhere in between Miller/Levine and a honors/AP text. I think Miller/Levine is a beautiful book, though (great illustrations), and I think the "predigested format" ~ with pre-highlighted terms, key concepts marked with little key icons, etc ~ would be very useful for a non-sciencey student. I would consider using this down the road with my non-sciencey DD, but with my future-science-major DS, I will definitely stick with Campbell.

Jackie

No offense, but this opinion is not shared by the publisher. Pearson/PH does not consider either Exploring Life or the Miller/Levine Biology book to be honors level:

Wrong. I just looked at the teachers edition. There are 3 pacing levels for students below, at and above grade level. Believe me. If you complete the entire book, you have completed honors level Biology.

Edited to add: I just went to your link. I think the key word is "Foundations." The book I used, the Dragonfly book, is NOT a "Foundations" book. I think that must be some type of special, easier book.

Edited by HollyinNNV

Wrong. I just looked at the teachers edition. There are 3 pacing levels for students below, at and above grade level. Believe me. If you complete the entire book, you have completed honors level Biology.

Edited to add: I just went to your link. I think the key word is "Foundations." The book I used, the Dragonfly book, is NOT a "Foundations" book. I think that must be some type of special, easier book.

Whatever one's opinion concerning the rigor of this text, it *is* true that Pearson does not list the Miller & Levine text among it's Honors & AP texts. Miller & Levine is considered their standard, entry-level, Intro/Bio text.

The link you clicked was for the M&L Biology: Foundations text, which is the one listed as "below level." (It's shorter, and the vocabulary is simpler than the regular M&L text.) The *regular* Miller & Levine text (currently with a parrot on the cover; previous edition was a dragonfly) is in their "on level" list:

https://www.agsnet.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ16f&filter_161=&filter_422=&filter_423=6732&filter_281=&filter_425=&programFilterTypeList=161%2C422%2C423%2C424%2C281%2C425&PMDbSiteid=2781&PMDbSolutionid=6724&PMDbSubSolutionid=&PMDbCategoryid=814&PMDbSubcategoryid=24824&&filter_424=29860

It is *not* in their Honors & AP list:

https://www.agsnet.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ16f&filter_161=&filter_422=&filter_423=6732&filter_281=&filter_425=&programFilterTypeList=161%2C422%2C423%2C424%2C281%2C425&PMDbSiteid=2781&PMDbSolutionid=6724&PMDbSubSolutionid=&PMDbCategoryid=814&PMDbSubcategoryid=24824&&filter_424=24761

IMO, completing a whole textbook doesn't necessarily makes it "honors level." Texts that are considered honors or AP level generally go into more depth, include more detail, and include higher-level vocabulary and concepts. (For example, Campbell's Concepts & Connections, which is a college-level nonmajors text, is often used for HS Honors Biology courses and is included in Pearson's Honors text list.) Having said that, I think one could use either M&L or Exploring Life as the basis for an honors course, by adding in more labs and further reading.

I'm currently using Campbell's Exploring Life, and even though many people consider it more rigorous than M&L, I *personally* would not consider it an honors-level course without supplementing it. And even though we will complete the entire book, and we are adding in a lot of extra reading and labs, I would not list the course as "Honors" on a transcript, but that's just me. Obviously others are free to list courses however they like, if they feel their student has done the requisite level of work.

Jackie

(For example, Campbell's Concepts & Connections, which is a college-level nonmajors text, is often used for HS Honors Biology courses and is included in Pearson's Honors text list.)

My brother (honors & AP bio teacher) was just visiting today, and I asked him to clarify this whole Campbell bio book thing.

His school (public school in rich town where kids are elbowing each other to get to ivys - it has reputation for being cutthroat - just to give context as to the rigor and expectations) uses:

9th grade regular bio: Miller & Levine

9th grade honors bio: Campbell Biology: Exploring Life

AP bio: Campbell Biology

I asked where the Campbell Biology Concepts & Connections came in. He said it was used by a lot of Community Colleges. I asked him which he thought was the "better" book. He said he preferred Exploring Life - he said Concepts & Connections is written more densely and is not as well laid out. He said he'd rather use Exploring Life and add supplemental stuff if needed rather than giving the kids a slog. (which I guess does echo a bit Jackie saying it may need some stuff added rather than just following the text). But he didn't seem to think that C&C was necessarily more rigorous, it was just harder to read.

I was hoping you would chime in here, Matroyshka. :D

I remembered that you'd said your brother was using Exploring Life for an honors class, and after comparing samples of EL to the Miller/Levine, I can see that it's more rigorous. I haven't looked at C&C, but your brother's opinion confirms what another poster here said, about the "connections" aspects distracting from the science. Our state university uses it for intro "Biology for Health Sciences" courses, which is a common course at CCs, so that makes sense.

Thanks for asking your brother to clarify things, that helps a lot!

Jackie