Menu

First grade w/o hugely structured Kinder

I have missed about 5 days of of teaching over the past 10 days or so, and was pretty relaxed last fall, doing a 3-day Kinder. PDG is doing very well...very inquisitive, reading short vowel, 4 and 5 letter words about 3/5ths of the way through Phonics Pathways, doing Miquon orange slowly but deliberately, taking frequent library trips (weekly), etc. We've had some minor health stuff (strep, colds, etc.) this year, and I've been under the weather somewhat, too.

So, My Mom, who has always been very supportive of my HSing, for some reason went off on me yesterday and ended saying, "well maybe when you move to DC/Virginia you should just put (PDG) in PS in the Fall for first grade."

I don't really feel like I need to defend my position -- it's the decision DH and I have made. What I NEED to know, though, is if there is ANYWHERE in the US that requires Kinder as a pre-req for First Grade? If not, how many kids actually go straight into 1st Grade without being in a formal Kinder? I'm sure the number is dwindling with the number of stay-at-home moms dwindling. Has Kinder become so mainstream that the assumption is everyone must do it before First?

Edited by BikeBookBread
grammar

We did not do K with ds. He went to pre-school at a local church. He went to K at our local PS and hated he. He said there was too much coloring and napping:) I pulled him out after a month and he begged to do "real" work. So, we went right into first grade, took it slowly, and he has done great.

Edited by hsbaby

Kindergarten isn't required in the state I live in (Illinois) but I have never heard of anyone that *didn't* do kinder before first grade (unless they were homeschooling). That being said - you *are* doing kinder, albeit a loose relaxed kinder, so you are fine. And she will be fine starting first should you decide to put her into first. Really.

My 3rd son is homeschooling kinder this year and his schedule has been far looser than what you are even describing and I am totally confident he will be ready for first grade work at home or first grade at school should the need for that arise. Don't worry - you are doing fine. :)

Thanks everyone...helpful.

I go through this about every few months or so myself...self-doubting if I'm doing enough. Barring some incredible circumstances (never say never), I'll be HS in VA, and not sending to public or private school.

Plus, I'll be working with LLL too...I actually think this is going to make things somewhat easier. Right now, I have to get her "doing" something because she just isn't quite ready to do the same level of work as PDG.

I don't really feel like I need to defend my position -- it's the decision DH and I have made.

No, you don't.

What I NEED to know, though, is if there is ANYWHERE in the US that requires Kinder as a pre-req for First Grade? If not, how many kids actually go straight into 1st Grade without being in a formal Kinder? I'm sure the number is dwindling with the number of stay-at-home moms dwindling. Has Kinder become so mainstream that the assumption is everyone must do it before First?

Does it matter? You're homeschooling.

There may be individual schools/districts that strongly prefer children to have attended kindergarten before entering first grade, but I don't think there are any which have actual laws requiring it.