Menu

hmmm to laugh or cry

So, I'm just tired of repeating myself over and over and over and over and over again. My family is just so loud I feel like I am forever shouting. My quiet little school house, is rarely quiet. :glare:

So, instead of telling one more person to quiet down, I have pinned a notecard to my shirt that says, whisper.

I told everyone to shoot for a whisper, then maybe we'll actually come in at a normal volume. When they get too loud, I say get their attention and point to my shirt.

I may design a mom's apron with clear slots for numerous cards. I would write, quiet, shhh, whisper, get back to school, clean your room and put away your shoes in the slots.

Any buyers? :001_smile:

I'll take one! Be sure to include something about walking softly - stomping feet on hardwood floors in clickety-clackety shoes are enough to send me to the loony bin!

:iagree:My middle son stomps around barefoot on our wood floors and it drives my oldest son crazy! All I hear is stomp, stomp,stomp, "Would you STOP stomping!!????!?!". "Sorry, I'm HEAVY. It's loud when I walk!" stomp, stomp, stomp.

• 1 year later...

LOL great ideas!

I had two teachers back in elementary school who refused to yell (unlike all of our other teachers, LOL). They each had effective approaches -

1) When one wanted to talk she would practically whisper. She would say very quietly something like, "Whoever wants an extra five minutes at recess should line up right now" - and of course all the kids who were making noise or letting themselves be too distracted by the noise of others didn't hear, but those of us who were *listening* to her through the noise would get our extra five minutes (or our piece of gum or whatever was the game at the moment).

2) When the other wanted to talk she would hold up one finger. All the students immediately had to do the same - hold up one finger and be totally quiet. The last student(s) to quiet down and hold up a finger had to do some chore like clap erasers or whatever during recess.

Maybe you can try some variation of these? I am *all for* not yelling! Never have been a yeller, never will be a yeller.

Your post cracked me up! My daughter is loud ALL THE TIME. Over last weekend, she was trying to tell me something in the car while I was driving, but for some reason she was whispering. After asking her to repeat herself several times, I finally had to say, "You will never hear me say this again, but can you please speak louder." :lol: