Menu

Organized snowball fights?

One of the popular topics in the blizzard coverage on the news in Washington, D.C. is that people are organizing giant snowball battles on Facebook, Twitter and other internet-based social-networking sites. I've never heard of such a thing before.

All I can say is that it seems like an incredibly bad idea to bring 5000+ people together in order to have a snowball battle. IME, most snowball battles end poorly even with just two people involved.

Also, it seems irresponsible to have such a large gathering while the emergency personnel are working hard to clear the roads and aid those in need.

What say you on these organized snowball battles?

The ones I read about were in grassy (plus snow) areas, not in streets. They were also near underground Metro stations, so you could take the Metro there if you are in DC and not get in the way of the snowplows. I think it would be fun, but we are too far out to make it there.
The problem is that the sidewalks in DC were not clear at 2:00 PM when this took place. As a result, there were thousands of people walking in the roadway to get there. The news reports indicated that there were quite a few incidents of people nearly getting run over and/or cars nearly crashing trying to avoid pedestrians in the roadway. Fortunately, that did not happen.

I love the idea. The sense of community. The people coming together IRL, instead of on their computer screens. The memories for children of being part of that.

I think the idea is awesome.

As far as it being dangerous walking around outside...my goodness. Aren't people free to roam around on this earth as they wish? I can't put it into words right now, but the idea of us all sitting in our separate houses and not going out to enjoy a very rare snowfall with our neighbors just seems stingy somehow.

I can't put it into words. Something about comparing the idea of everyone staying at home in fear of a possible accident, vs everyone getting out there and meeting their neighbors and enjoying a snowfall that might not come again for a decade...well. I choose the snowball fight.

I'm pro snowball fight. The ones I participated in when I was in college were awesome and bring back good memories.

My boys had their own with their forts they built, but it's not nearly the same with just 3 people involved.

There really is such a thing as being too over-protective and missing out on life - at least - IMO. May I never get there. Even if the worst were to happen, I'd rather die young and have really lived than grow into old age and have done nothing.