Menu

Did you find The Mysterious Benedict Society slightly creepy?

I am only half-listening to it on CD with my kids while I make lunch etc. so I'm not hearing the whole story but is it just me or is it a bit 1984-ish? The way the kids are scared and the way some of the people act like they're drugged and the people serving the food who don't look at them? From some of the snippets I am hearing it just seems a bit creepy for children but I have never heard anyone say anything bad about this book. Maybe the narrator's grandfatherly voice doesn't fit the text? Maybe I am overreacting and I certainly don't want my kids to live in a bubble. Maybe the book just reflects our society today. Anyways, I'm interested everyone's opinions, especially if you've read the whole thing.

I suppose you could look at it that way. I didn't even think about that when I read it. The blank looks have to do with the plot which I don't want to spoil if you choose to finish it. It's one of my dd11's favorite books. She's reread that book at least 3 times and has read the other 2 books twice I think. But yes, it is not a light cozy mystery.

Did you know that some people think Amelia Bedelia is a horrible book because they think it's mocking disabilities? I was really surprised about that as I never saw it that way. But if you don't like a book, don't spend time reading it when there are so many more books in the world. :)

I listened to the audio and didn't find it as creepy as 1984. In fact it would seem like the author could have taken the creepiness further but never took it into the 1984 realm.

My kids LOVED this story. They pretend play that they are the characters solving a crime. It's funny to see my DD carrying a bucket around the yard. LOL!

I listened to the audio and didn't find it as creepy as 1984. In fact it would seem like the author could have taken the creepiness further but never took it into the 1984 realm.

My kids LOVED this story. They pretend play that they are the characters solving a crime. It's funny to see my DD carrying a bucket around the yard. LOL!

Mine play this way too! DS wanted to wear his tux (from being in a wedding) for Halloween and carry a briefcase to be a Ten Men.