Menu

Saxon for high school - someone tell me

I haven't made a terrible choice.

MUS was not working. Not enough review. Odd pace. Poor retention. I looked at all my options, and found myself back at Saxon. It has tons of review, which this dc needs.

With all the options out there, is Saxon still a good choice for high school math?

I ~SO~ wanted Saxon for my dc, but neither of them can handle the incremental style. We have gone with community college texts instead. These cover concepts topically with lots of mid-chapter review and chapter-end review, cumulative reviews and tests.

Texts by Tobey & Slater are good and Margaret Lial's texts are fabulous.

Both can be found used or new at Pearson Higher Ed.

hth,

Robin

My son is using a Lial's book for precalc and it's pretty clear.

As far as Saxon, make sure you have your child take the placement test. Also, they used to just integrate the geometry into the curriculum, but now they have a separate one, so make sure you get what you want--buying used can be confusing sometimes.

I haven't made a terrible choice.

MUS was not working. Not enough review. Odd pace. Poor retention. I looked at all my options, and found myself back at Saxon. It has tons of review, which this dc needs.

With all the options out there, is Saxon still a good choice for high school math?

It worked great for us. My son is in his second semester of college calculus after completing through Saxon Adv. Math.

I would not start past Algebra 1 though, I would start at Alg. 1. I think it would be difficult to start the high-school books mid-stream.

I hope it's good, too, because it's what we're using.

Dd seems to be doing fine with it, but in the back of my mind I worry, too, based on some of the criticism of Saxon (too superficial, not challenging enough).

It is comforting to hear some kids don't seem to have been handicapped by it at all.