Menu

1st grader... you know you need a compliment, when you're happy about your 6 year old

So, we were at the store, and he wanted apples. Great... Math moment, right? "Hey Buddy, look... it's $1.18 a lb. How many ounces do you think is in a lb? Wow.. let's weigh it... 2 lbs. You know what? 1 lb is 16 ounces. We have 2 lbs.... how many ounces is this?" *This scale didn't have the ounces where you can see them...

Anyway, he looks away for a couple of seconds... and comes back with *32*!

I said... "ok, wow... that's right!! How did you know?" (We haven't skip counted 16's) He said... well.. you said.. 16 and I know that that's a "10" a "5" and a "1" so I knew I needed two of everything.

Wow... I think Singapore is a good match for his 6 year old brain!

:-)

Ha! Your son spins circles around my 6 year old in the understanding of math (and we used Singapore for K). I think some kids are just good that way...and it sounds like you have a "mathy" on your hands. My older son is a mathy. He is not, however, an "English-y." LOL And vice versa...the little one is a total English-y kid, and not mathy at all.