Menu

Are the MUS Skip Count songs worth $10?

mindygz

You can get a cheap Classical Conversations cd. I'd suggest whatever you want most for history. Math is the same for all cds... You do skip counting from the start to 12 or 15?? and then also cubes, squares and some other math facts. (Besides, Science, English, and more...) You can just purchase what you want... take off what you "need" and then put it on a cd... MP3player....etc..

:-) (You can probably pick up a cd for maybe $10-$15??) Our 4 and 5 year olds... I think all of them probably... were singing all the math skip counting last year... (And of course the older kids... too... very catchy in my opinion....)

I bought the CD for my then-2nd grader. He couldn't stand them, but my younger daughter loved them (then 3, now 4 and still requests the CD 3-4 times per week). The songs aren't very catchy, but my younger one has every song memorized (when it's playing; when it's not playing she can only skip count through the 6s). It just plays in the background when she's playing dolls or horses or legos; sometimes she picks it as one of "her" songs when we take turns choosing songs in the car. One thing I don't like is the whiny, high-pitched kids' voices in semi-chorus -- made some of it hard (for me) to initially understand and follow. But in general, I don't like kids' songs/voices so that could just be me. I'd have preferred one voice, ideally someone nearer or past puberty.

My public library has three different skip counting CDs available, all equal to or better than the MUS one if you ask me and my son. My daughter is loyal to her MUS CD, even though she hates the rest of the MUS program. Check your library for alternatives, or even better - ask them to order the MUS CD. If you do decide to buy it yourself, definitely not worth it to pay new. Used would be the way to go.

So from my home to yours: 2 votes nay and 1 vote yay.

Catchy or not, they did the trick for my kids. They learned how to skip count and that's all that mattered to me. I'd say, yes, they are worth it.

:iagree: I didn't think the tunes were particularly well chosen, but they painlessly taught my kids skip-counting. Heck, I can probably still sing every single one myself... whether I want to or not.... :glare:

So for me they were worth every penny. :)

There is obviously a market out there if someone wants to record a CD of non-insipid skip-counting songs! :tongue_smilie: