Menu

Collaboration for Dolciani solutions?

For all Dolciani math text users who have or need solutions...I'm wondering how we can work together in a legal way to amass the solutions from OOP books....

Eg. I have the Modern Algebra and Trig Structure and Method Book Two c1963, 1965 solution book. It was partially cut apart by a previous owner so it is really falling apart.

Earlier I posted about Google books but no one answered. I don't really have the time to pursue it with them because you have to show traffic for the book and other stuff which I have no idea how to do. Nor would I want to part with my book for an unknown period of time and probably no one else wants to either...

I am willing to scan a section of the book for the benefit of others. But I don't really have the time to scan the whole book. (Scanning seems to take forever on our machine).

Would anyone else be willing to scan parts of their solution books?

Does anyone have a legal "e or i-place" where we could store scans if all who have solution books would pitch in to scan portions of the OOP books?

Hopefully,

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva
wrong info

Joan,

I so desperately need the 1965 Algebra and Trigonometry solution key. I hope we can find a way to legally diburse amongst ourselves. I also need the Geometry solution key, 1963, 1965.

I have a 1965 Modern Algebra Solution Key, a 1970 Modern Algebra Solution key, a 1973 (new version) Modern Algebra and Trigonometry Solution key (I really wanted the 1965!!) and the Modern Intro to Analysis, Solution key.

If anyone has any ideas, pass them our way!!

Edited by Mary in NJ

My brain is disfunctional sometimes, only remembering the most recent thoughts.

I forgot that the thing about the teachers guides is that they have the answers to the oral exercises. These are invaluable for speed of assessment (unless mom has time to work them all out ahead of time).

So I should have put - people with the teachers editions, if you would be willing to copy just the pages with the answers to the Oral Exercises, that would be great.

Mary, I think I have a Geometry solutions but won't know til I go home this summer as I had it sent to my brother. He's willing to get packages, but I hate to bother him with questions.

I have some later teachers editions which I have to get out and enumerate. And a solution guide for trig. I'll edit this later with the info.

My brain is disfunctional sometimes, only remembering the most recent thoughts.

I forgot that the thing about the teachers guides is that they have the answers to the oral exercises. These are invaluable for speed of assessment (unless mom has time to work them all out ahead of time).

So I should have put - people with the teachers editions, if you would be willing to copy just the pages with the answers to the Oral Exercises, that would be great.

Mary, I think I have a Geometry solutions but won't know til I go home this summer as I had it sent to my brother. He's willing to get packages, but I hate to bother him with questions.

I have some later teachers editions which I have to get out and enumerate. And a solution guide for trig. I'll edit this later with the info.

Oh, okay! I got it now!!

Yes, the teacher's editions do have answers to the oral exercises - not solutions to the exercises, just the answers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the TM for Modern School Mathematics, Alg. I (1967) and Modern Trig. (1966). My Trig. book says "1969 impression. " Is that just a reprint?

Anyway, I don't mind sharing. There is another thread discussing where people have begun posting answers. I'll go there and begin learning how to do this.

Are we sure this is ok legally? It doesn't infringe on copyrights does it?

Denise

got around to reading about OOP books online and in my cursory readings, it seems that you still have to ask permission even after all these years.

So I have just sent an email request to Houghton Mifflin to make 20 copies of the 1962 Solution Key for Modern Algebra Book One (I don't have it but need it) and 20 copies of the 1963, 65 (has double copyright) Solution Key for Modern Algebra and Trigonometry Book Two.

About my earlier notes...I remembered why I used the '77 book, because it had tests at the beginning of the teacher book. So that is the other useful thing from at least some of the teacher's books. But I don't think those would need to fall under copyright as there aren't many pages of tests. Maybe for the oral exercises we could use Dee's Wiki answers pages...

We'll see what they say...

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

So I have just sent an email request to Houghton Mifflin to make 20 copies of the 1962 Solution Key for Modern Algebra Book One (I don't have it but need it) and 20 copies of the 1963, 65 (has double copyright) Solution Key for Modern Algebra and Trigonometry Book Two.

We'll see what they say...

Joan

:bigear:

Wow, thank you for pursuing this! I have NOT been able to find solution keys yet.

and asked me some questions.

They want the

'Please include a copy for each book of the title page, copyright page, and all credit/acknowledgment pages usually found at the back of the book.'

So I have this for the book I have, but not for the book I need.

I know Mary's copy is for '65. I am not yet sure if this is a reprint of the one I have as she was busy...

What I need are those pages for

Modern Algebra Book 1 by Dolciani, Berman and Freilich c 1962.

Could someone who has this book who is willing to copy it be willing to do this? You can email me. (link under my name)

I just went to the thrift store this week to check for teacher's editions of any Dolciani. I have found all of my Dolciani texts there, and think I have seen copies of teacher's editions as well, but regrettably, did not pick them up. I am scouring any resale shop I can find for these books, but have not had luck lately.

I do still wonder about calling my state dept. of education to see if there are still any of these books around in a warehouse somewhere. It could be worth the call, so I'm going to try.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie
spelling

and asked me some questions.

They want the

'Please include a copy for each book of the title page, copyright page, and all credit/acknowledgment pages usually found at the back of the book.'

I know Mary's copy is for '65. I am not yet sure if this is a reprint of the one I have as she was busy...

Could someone who has this book who is willing to copy it be willing to do this? You can email me. (link under my name)

Joan,

My copy of the Teacher's Edition and Solution Key are both "Copyright 1965, 1962." This is for Modern Algebra Structure and Method Book One. Which one do you need a copy of the title page, etc? The teacher's book or the solution key?

Thanks for all your work,

Mary

For all Dolciani math text users who have or need solutions

Would anyone else be willing to scan parts of their solution books?

They want the

I'm getting confused on what you need. Is it the title/copyright/credit/acknowledgement pages for the *solutions manual* or is it for the TE so that people can copy the answers to oral exercises? Or maybe both?

I don't know if this helps, but I have the student edition of Modern Algebra Structure and Method, copyright 1962 only.

I have found all of my Dolciani texts there, and think I have seen copies of teacher's editions as well, but regrettably, did not pick them up.

Wow. I have never seen Dolciani books in thrift stores around here.

Joan,

My copy of the Teacher's Edition and Solution Key are both "Copyright 1965, 1962." This is for Modern Algebra Structure and Method Book One. Which one do you need a copy of the title page, etc? The teacher's book or the solution key?

Thanks for all your work,

Mary

Hi Mary (and Coleen),

It is just those pages for the solution key at this point.

The TE is good for the tests and the answers to oral problems but you actually can copy a small percent of a book without copyright infringement. I have to do more research about that, so til then I thought I would just work on the solutions books.

Mary, Colleen, and all others who are interested in collaboration,

Originally I just asked to make 20 copies not knowing how many of you wanted them and wanting to not ask for too few. And I didn't know how it was going to work. It turns out they want to know who is going to be using the books. I was thinking about how to deal with that in bed last night and came up with the idea of a 'school network'. We who are interested in using these books will be 'linked' by our need for these solutions. Sister schools maybe?

They want a school name (most of us have one of those by now) and the address of the school(s).

And they want to know what 'current' products we are using that are published by them. They publish under these divisions - see below. Some of them are obvious and some you will have to look more carefully. I think they want to see if we are paying good money somewhere along the line.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Holt McDougal

Great Source, Rigby, Steck Vaughn, or Saxon

Destination Math and Reading, Edmark, Broderbund School Supplies, Earobics, Classroom Connect, and Skills Tutor

Riverside Publishing (eg Iowa Tests)

Trade Division (?)

So all who are interested can PM or email me with that information. And I will submit this info to her Thursday or Friday.

Best,

Joan

PS I check my email more often than the boards so if you have a question best to do it that way.

• 2 years later...
Hi Mary (and Coleen),

It is just those pages for the solution key at this point.

The TE is good for the tests and the answers to oral problems but you actually can copy a small percent of a book without copyright infringement. I have to do more research about that, so til then I thought I would just work on the solutions books.

Mary, Colleen, and all others who are interested in collaboration,

Originally I just asked to make 20 copies not knowing how many of you wanted them and wanting to not ask for too few. And I didn't know how it was going to work. It turns out they want to know who is going to be using the books. I was thinking about how to deal with that in bed last night and came up with the idea of a 'school network'. We who are interested in using these books will be 'linked' by our need for these solutions. Sister schools maybe?

They want a school name (most of us have one of those by now) and the address of the school(s).

And they want to know what 'current' products we are using that are published by them. They publish under these divisions - see below. Some of them are obvious and some you will have to look more carefully. I think they want to see if we are paying good money somewhere along the line.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Holt McDougal

Great Source, Rigby, Steck Vaughn, or Saxon

Destination Math and Reading, Edmark, Broderbund School Supplies, Earobics, Classroom Connect, and Skills Tutor

Riverside Publishing (eg Iowa Tests)

Trade Division (?)

So all who are interested can PM or email me with that information. And I will submit this info to her Thursday or Friday.

Best,

Joan

PS I check my email more often than the boards so if you have a question best to do it that way.

I know this thread is old and gnarly, but I was wondering if you ever got permission to make copies of solutions manuals or TE's?

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah -- I'd like to know, too. Did you ever get permission to make copies of the teacher editions? I'm also using the Dolciani books for homeschooling my 3 kids.

A couple of us asked for and were granted permission to copy a few Solution Keys. It was quite a lot of work, esp. for Joan...I'm not sure she's going to want to do it again. However, if anyone out there has Solution Keys and would like permission to copy them, ask HM - it is possible that permission will be granted.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, just happened across this thread now as I was traveling before...yes, you can get permission but they ask exactly who it is for - what school, and the permission was then for those people to do it or get them...

In a few years I won't be so busy, and could help you but that's probably not soon enough...

It got complicated for me dealing with different currencies, overseas shipping, etc...

But it can be done!

Joan