Menu

mastery math programs

ProudGrandma

Singapore.

Explains math conceptually. Easy to add more practice or move through topics faster as needed. Challenging word problems. Easy to implement. Not very expensive. Has consumable workbooks and website support (Jenny). And the program has a long track record in Singapore with good results.

If I could teach Singapore, I'd have used it. I need more help than that. :glare: We moved from Saxon to BJU. I've also used MUS. BJU was a middle ground for us. MUS was very mastery...almost by year. BJU is mastery by chapter. So you do a chapter of concepts. Some say there's not enough review in BJU but I beg to differ. There's an entire review workbook for each lesson. So if my dd has a rough go of the new concept, we'll do the review sheet the next day. There's also chapter review, cumulative reviews at the end of the chapter and a sheet has review on the back.

MUS was too boring for us. Not to say that it's not for others. BJU fit right with the chapter mastery. A few weeks of a new concept was juuuussst right without killing the subject!

BJU is pretty traditional textbook/workbook style math. So far we have used grades K, 2, and 3, with 1 and 4 waiting in the wings.

It follows the NCTM style of moving from concrete math experiences to picture symbolic representations to regular equations. They use proper vocabulary (equation, product, sum) from the beginning. Each chapter lasts for several weeks and includes some review, but mostly concentrates on one main topic for that period of time. There are manipulatives in the subject kit and activities for them are in the teacher's manual. The teacher is in the driver's seat, determining how many of the reviews workbook pages to assign. The workbook is colorful and contains one page front and back for each lesson.

BJU is pretty traditional textbook/workbook style math. So far we have used grades K, 2, and 3, with 1 and 4 waiting in the wings.

It follows the NCTM style of moving from concrete math experiences to picture symbolic representations to regular equations. They use proper vocabulary (equation, product, sum) from the beginning. Each chapter lasts for several weeks and includes some review, but mostly concentrates on one main topic for that period of time. There are manipulatives in the subject kit and activities for them are in the teacher's manual. The teacher is in the driver's seat, determining how many of the reviews workbook pages to assign. The workbook is colorful and contains one page front and back for each lesson.

What Snowhite said ... she's so smart!:lol:

Math U See! The grandaddy of all mastery based math.

What I like about it is how well it breaks topics down, and what great explanations it gives. Math is understood as never before. I also like how easy it is to adjust the pace and the constant review so past topics aren't lost.

I was considering this...would it be easy to change from Saxon to Singapore?

If you are changing from Saxon, I would suggest Math Mammoth instead of Singapore. It teaches math conceptually, using the same techniques as Singapore, but it has more review built in and fewer "conceptual leaps" ~ it breaks down the concepts into smaller increments and explains (and illustrates) them very clearly. It's also inexpensive and very easy to use; the books are all-in-one, with the "teaching part" and the workbook part fully integrated, rather than a separate textbook, workbook, and instructor's guide. It also includes chapter reviews, tests, answer key, and worksheet-generating software. There are free samples you can download from the website:

http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete-curriculum.php

Jackie