Menu

So, what is the point in studying Latin?

michaeljenn

I will admit that I skipped the part about Latin in TWTM, but notice that almost everyone does Latin. Will someone please tell me why? What is the point? I am just not getting the reason? However, I don't want to deprive my children on this subject, if it should be taught.

We have been doing English From the Roots Up, and they will do Voc. From the Classical Roots when they are done with SWO.. so I am not a complete rebel??

Thanks in advance for any answers;)

Three reasons for me:

• Brain training. Latin is the hardest thing that Calvin does. It really stretches him in a way that nothing else does.
  • Basis for English vocabulary
  • Feeding into other Romance languages.

Latin is our third language - we study Mandarin much more than Latin. We start Latin early, then take it slowly. I plan on our studying French in addition when Calvin reaches about twelve.

Laura

I don't think one can have a true sense of identity without knowing one's background.

Western Civilization and the thought that produces goes our ideas of fairness, justice, government, democracy, criticism, free speech, freedom of religion, logic, literature, jury system, attitudes toward education, empire, multiculturalism, elitism and even Christianity itself, is based, not on modern France, not on modern Hispanic civilzation, nor on Germany (other popular languages to study) but on Rome and Greece. The way to directly tap into the cultures that gave birth to us is by studying their languages, literature, history and what their greatest orators and thinkers had to say.

You will discover in the process that there is nothing new under the sun about the experiences, travails, difficulties, and politics in modern society.

Other than architecture, art, literature, language, sanitation(sewage), aqueducts, education, irrigation, calendar, coins, cement and bricks, public heated baths, turnips and carrots, paved streets and pavements, apples, pears and grapes, welfare (free food) for poor citizens, roads, wine, towns, glass, street cleaners, shops, laws, tenement blocks, public order, firemen and police, parks, cabbages & peas, and public libraries, and our alphabet what did the Romans ever do for us? :D

Tracy Lee Simmons' book "Climbing Parnassusa" gives all the historical details about the role of Latin and Greek in education for the past 2000 years up to the modern day and its inspiration accounts for why we choose to pursue a Classical Education.

Confessions from a former Latin rebel. I decided roots and vocab would be enough, I didn't have time for Latin, I wasn't too interested in doing it, etc. The benefits of developing logical thinking were what made me try it. I started my two oldest with Latina Christiana I when they were in 5th/7th grade. The next year we moved to Henle I, spent two years to finish it, and are working on Henle 2 now. I never thought I would do Latin.

I know we have done it imperfectly but I have seen benefits anyway. My own spelling has improved and, maybe it was just maturing that did it, but I think my oldest son's spelling has improved because of it. Each of my three that have done Latin so far have told me how useful it is to know some Latin. One son started being much more diligent with his schoolwork when we started Henle I and he was wanting to keep up with his older brother. The amount of time I had to spend on English grammar dropped considerably for the 2nd/3rd child, the 1st was already through much of English grammar when we started Latin, but with my 2nd/3rd there were many times I could skip or go over an English grammar lesson quickly because of our Latin work. I think after completing Latin work they feel like they have accomplished a lot. I'm still not convinced that you have to start it early, my 3rd child did start in 3rd grade, but he needed/wanted the challenge. My next child will not start until 5th or so, we'll see. Though she is asking about it this year (she is 2nd).

Kendall

Thanks for all of the replies. I have read each and every link that has been posted, which were great. I did go back and read about Latin in TWTM too.

I guess my BIGGEST problem would be the time it takes to teach it, since I would need to learn it myself. It is tough to get everything done with a 3yo and toddler, but I just need to figure it out:glare:

I have to say that I love the "exercising of the brain" aspect of it! I am one to give up if it takes too much mental thought, and I DO NOT want my kids to be this way!

THanks again!

Thanks for all of the replies. I have read each and every link that has been posted, which were great. I did go back and read about Latin in TWTM too.

I guess my BIGGEST problem would be the time it takes to teach it, since I would need to learn it myself. It is tough to get everything done with a 3yo and toddler, but I just need to figure it out:glare:

I have to say that I love the "exercising of the brain" aspect of it! I am one to give up if it takes too much mental thought, and I DO NOT want my kids to be this way!

THanks again!

It really doesn't take that much time, especially the first few years of an elementary level program. 20-30 minutes with you learning along with the students. Piece of cake. :001_smile:

This is a tough one for me. I should say up front that my oldest does do Latin. But honestly when I read all of these great benefits of Latin, I really wonder. I took Latin for 4 years from 6th - 10th grade. Frankly, I saw none of these benefits. My vocabulary is from tons of reading. I'm a bright person with a mathy mind so I really didn't see any great improvement in my thinking skills etc. I've always had good problem solving skills. I took French for 8 years and I can't say Latin made that any easier.

So while I'm doing it with my oldest, when my middle dd whined for nearly a year because of how much she disliked Latin, I let her stop.

I certainly don't think Latin hurts, but all the glories may not necessarily be seen by all or may take many more years of study than many of us want to do.

It doesn't have to take too long, but I do understand the problems of dealing with a toddler and concentrating on Latin. We do Latin Prep for two thirty-minute lessons a week. In addition, Calvin does two fifteen-minute memorisation sessions.

Best wishes

Laura