Menu

Staples roll carts as workboxes...

Someone ( I can't remember who) posted in a thread (can't remember that either) about the roller carts she uses for her kids as a type of workbox. I LOVE the idea. She even posted a link to a picture of them, stating these were placed in her kitchen.

Does anyone remember who posted this? My neighbor is once again blessing me with her castoffs, including TWO roller carts. :hurray:

So...I wanted to look at the poster's setup again.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this!

Wow! Free!? That's awesome! I use something similar. Mine is a chrome frame with boxes in clearish white. There are 10 boxes and they work beautifully!!! I make my schedule according to those boxes (I taped a 1-10 on the front) and my dd knows where to find all her materials for those subjects.

Love it!

:D

I know this isn't me but I did use two 4-drawer rollercarts (one for each kid) in my kitchen when I first moved to this house and I kept thinking I should post about it. Spooky. :)

For added niftyness I put a dish rack on top.

Bottom deep drawer held manipulative. Next deep drawer up held texts and binder. Top shallow drawer held math sets, scissors, glue, etc. Second shallow drawer held completed worksheets and such. I'd put the day's work in the dish rack. The dishrack would hold them up and in order. I'd stick the pencils, erasers, tools, etc. that they'd need to use for that day in the utensil container.

Not a workbox system but a sort of rolling-schoolroom.

I have a 10 drawer roll cart system for each kid, and a 6 drawer roll cart for myself. Today is our first day back at school though so I can't say how well it is working yet...

What do you put in your roll cart for yourself? (I've been pondering getting one for me...they keep the kids so organized and on task, and I kinda want in on that action.)

We use 10 drawer carts as well. We don't use all the drawers every day. Ours look like this. (Only I didn't pay anywhere near that much for them, yikes!)

What do you put in your roll cart for yourself? (I've been pondering getting one for me...they keep the kids so organized and on task, and I kinda want in on that action.)

I realised the weak point of my new system (workbox system with 10 drawer roll carts for each kid) was going to be filling them nightly and having the supplies, answer books, writing paper, printables, right there ready to go. So, the top drawer of my 6 drawer cart is just paper supplies and my schedules. The next 5 drawers have 2 numbers per drawer- 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc, and the supplies that correspond to the KIDS' drawers. I have made my kids' drawers line up so that both have maths for no. 1, English for no.2, spelling or word puzzle for no. 3, Laitn for drawer 7, art for number 8 etc. In my drawer 3/4 I have a stack of word and sudoku puzzles I have printed off the new, plus my Spelling Power book- and nothing for box 4 right now because it is a reading book drawer for the kids, although I could have a reading list in my drawer. In my 7/8 drawer I have Latin answer books, Latin drill print offs, and some art books I am using such as Mona Brooks Drawing for Older Children and Teenagers (which I am using to make up single sheet printout of simple 15 minutes art lessons for my kids). I have the printouts in the drawer too.

That way, - and I just did it for the first time- when my kids have finished their day and i am restocking their drawers for tomorrow, any supplies that arent already in their drawers or on top, will be in my corresponding drawer.

Does that make sense?

I intend to get some pictures up on my blog soon of my system- I am very impressed with it :) So far, one day into our new year, it has worked amazingly. Both kids are happy with it and we managed to fit in several things we normally never get to, that normally seem too much of a hassle, yet only take a short time. Our day didnt take any longer than usual yet we did more. That was my hope.

Regarding numbers for the various boxes, I used some clip art and printed them out on card stock, then laminated them and used the Velcro dots to place them. I put the fuzzy dots on the numbers so they wouldn't stick together when they are in the little basket on top of our system.

I fill the boxes and put the numbers on in the sequence I want. Then dd works through them and peels each number off as she finishes a box and puts it in a little basket I have on top of the stack of drawers. I have two different sizes of boxes, so have to put the larger subjects in a larger bin and therefore needed the flexibility to be able to renumber as I wished.

I realised the weak point of my new system (workbox system with 10 drawer roll carts for each kid) was going to be filling them nightly and having the supplies, answer books, writing paper, printables, right there ready to go. So, the top drawer of my 6 drawer cart is just paper supplies and my schedules. The next 5 drawers have 2 numbers per drawer- 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc, and the supplies that correspond to the KIDS' drawers. I have made my kids' drawers line up so that both have maths for no. 1, English for no.2, spelling or word puzzle for no. 3, Laitn for drawer 7, art for number 8 etc. In my drawer 3/4 I have a stack of word and sudoku puzzles I have printed off the new, plus my Spelling Power book- and nothing for box 4 right now because it is a reading book drawer for the kids, although I could have a reading list in my drawer. In my 7/8 drawer I have Latin answer books, Latin drill print offs, and some art books I am using such as Mona Brooks Drawing for Older Children and Teenagers (which I am using to make up single sheet printout of simple 15 minutes art lessons for my kids). I have the printouts in the drawer too.

That way, - and I just did it for the first time- when my kids have finished their day and i am restocking their drawers for tomorrow, any supplies that arent already in their drawers or on top, will be in my corresponding drawer.

Does that make sense?

I intend to get some pictures up on my blog soon of my system- I am very impressed with it :) So far, one day into our new year, it has worked amazingly. Both kids are happy with it and we managed to fit in several things we normally never get to, that normally seem too much of a hassle, yet only take a short time. Our day didnt take any longer than usual yet we did more. That was my hope.

That makes total sense. Thank for sharing! Much to ponder.