Menu

Avatar today for a 6 and 11 yr old??

My husband has some free tickets and he's taking the 15 year old, but would my younger boys be ok with it. They have both seen things like Transformers and Harry Potter and not been too frightened.

I'm off for a few hours but I'd love to know what you think....I haven't seen the movie yet myself and have read a bit about it.

TIA :)

My sensitive 10 yr old enjoyed it.

My 17 yr old is saying that the movies have different intensities, that appropriateness would depend on how parents and children feel about different kinds of violence.

The violence in Harry Potter is magical.

Avatar's violence is guns and bombs.

Edited by LibraryLover

I haven't taken my 11 yo and 9 yo because I was warned that there was "language" in it.

Did you think it was acceptable, then, for that age group? Mine have also seen HP, Pirates of the C, Men in Black...can't think of others at the moment.

We'd love to go, and it would be easier to not have to find a sitter!

Thanks,

Holly

I haven't taken my 11 yo and 9 yo because I was warned that there was "language" in it.

Did you think it was acceptable, then, for that age group? Mine have also seen HP, Pirates of the C, Men in Black...can't think of others at the moment.

Thanks,

Holly

There is bad language laced throughout the movie (there are a lot of ex-soldiers in the movie, so... it didn't seem gratuitous to me), but I honestly couldn't tell you how much. I was too busy watching the pretty. lol

Our kids watched it with us (11, 9, and 6) - and I've not let them watch Pirates of the C. or Men in Black, (and only the oldest has seen the HP movies) so.... :D

My 9yo daughter adored it (saw it in IMAX 3d), but a year or so ago probably wouldn't have been able to handle it (possibly even 6 months would have been chancy). She's an odd one to figure---loved Nightmare before Christmas since age 5 and Corpse Bride when it came out, scared of the "rodents of unusual size" in Princess Bride until recently.

We now do most PG movies and selected PG-13 (I'm more picky about sexual scenes than I am about language or violence, honestly). At this point, she's recently loved Indiana Jones, Avatar, Coraline, Men in Black, watched the first Lord of the Rings movies last night, if that helps give perspective (haven't tried Pirates yet, but might soon). She might be willing to watch Harry Potter past the second one now (saw parts of it when she was not ready and the spiders have put her off it for a very long time).

thanks!!

We ended up taking the whole family. My 6 yr old isn't all that sensitive.

He ended up just bored from about the middle to the end.

He wasn't the only one! There was 2+ hours of my life I'll never get back!

I've seen Dances with Wolves. Many times actually. I didn't need to see it again.

To me, just because you can do something with a computer, that doesn't make a movie. There is more too it than that.

Thanks,

Holly

We took all of my kids to go and see it, they've seen all of the movies that you mention and weren't scared or anything. There is some bad language (my 8 year old complained about it) but I didn't think it was over-the-top.

I do agree that the whole storyline was very Dances With Wolves.

He wasn't the only one! There was 2+ hours of my life I'll never get back!

I've seen Dances with Wolves. Many times actually. I didn't need to see it again.

To me, just because you can do something with a computer, that doesn't make a movie. There is more too it than that.

How funny!! My husband said it was just like Dances as well. It's been so long since I had seen that I didn't even notice.

I'd say if you don't like bad language then wait.

Unfortunately my kids are not immune to it as my family and I slip up now and then with a few bad words so it wasn't that big a deal to me. If it was constant I wouldn't have been ok with it.

I really enjoyed it but didn't love it. I thought it lost something at the end.

Oh and my oldest did notice a couple of times when you can see n*pples on the girls. I didn't see it as overly s*xual though.

All in all husband and older boys loved it!