Menu

Book A Week in 2010 Book Week Five

I finished Don Quixote!!! Woohoo!

You cannot imagine how many times I have gotten through the first two or three chapters of this book and put it down. I don't EVER have to think about it again.

Yay!!

May I ask you to think about it just *one* more time?

Did you like it?

Finished this week:

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott

I blogged about them today. The juxtaposition of Outliers and Elementary Mathematics was excellent and it really has me thinking about math education and how we approach it here.

Still reading The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and Free Range Kids.

Yaahoo! Congratulations - it was a difficult book.

Finished this week:

I blogged about them today. The juxtaposition of Outliers and Elementary Mathematics was excellent and it really has me thinking about math education and how we approach it here.

Sounds like a great book. I need to read it. We are taking math slow here. More comments on your blog.

Congrats! Do you feel like an accomplished person?

Finished this week:

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Still reading The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and Free Range Kids.

I can't get Outliers from the library. I don't want to buy it or should I? Is it purchase worthy?

Are you liking Free Range Kids?

Outliers is purchase worthy, imo. I don't own it, but I did wait several weeks to get it from my library.

I am putting it on my Amazon list, because I do think it is the sort of thing that I will refer back to. The ideas in it are so varied, yet he pulls them together very well. I think you can apply his thoughts to a variety of situations, which makes it worth having to go back to from time to time.

Oh my! That article inspired a rather fascinating thread found here.

Oh, wow.

I picked up the essay in bound form at my library last month. I simply found it to be an interesting position on our methods of math education. But then I'm not as invested in teaching mathematics as some...

I finished "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory this week. Henry VIII was something else, to say the least. I never knew about Mary Boleyn. And just to think of how many other mistresses that man had along with his six wives... :001_huh:

I always wonder how things would have been different if his illegitimate sons were counted as heirs to the thrown.