Menu

Looking for info on homeschooling and living in Sydney Australia

Anyone out there in Sydney? I need some info about homeschooling and living there. How hard is it to homeschool over there? I keep reading that things have started to change to be more restrictive. Is that true?

Anyone want to tell me about living there?

Thanks!

A couple of years ago, dh was told we may be transferred to Sydney, Aus. within the next couple of months. They ended up not transferring us, but I still have a lot of the research I did.

There were several WTM homeschoolers in Australia, but I don't think any I e-mailed with were in Sydney.

It sounded like a WONDERFUL place to live, though! What a fantastic opportunity for your family!

Please send me an e-mail and I'll send you what I have.

Hillary

I'm surprised I got here before Peela :)

You may want to check out:

http://homeschoolads.proboards51.com/index.cgi

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chooz/

I'm in Vic, so not up on NSW law, but as far as I know, the most stringent ruling anywhere in the country is mandatory registration. You can find out more easily enough from the first link above.

:)

Rosie

and we are legally required to register as a 'homeschooler' with the NSW Board of Studies. They send a representative around who wants to see our program and makes sure we are covering all required key learning areas etc. They then make an assessment and grant permission for 3 months - 2 years at a time, depending on what the rep recommends.

I haven't had any trouble in my 7 years of homeschooling, but I've heard that it can vary according to the representative allocated to your area. They really do look for adequate planning, how you keep records and how you plan to assess progress.

HTH

There is an Australian Classical Homeschooling Yahoo group called CHOOZ...there are plenty of classical homeschoolers in Australia.

Sydney is my hometown but I live in Perth.

The rules are ok everywhere, but you do have to jump through some hoops. But its very doable.