Menu

Why use WWE instead of IEW?

Alenee

I realize SWB has a particular view on writing that lends credibility to her program but whenever the reviews come out, IEW is tops. Why would someone choose WWE over IEW? Is it just the cost or is there really something better about WWE?

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to purchase the continuation program for IEW. If I go this route I will end up having to buy all three because we started with SWI A. That's a whole lot of money! So I'm all ears....:bigear:

I realize SWB has a particular view on writing that lends credibility to her program but whenever the reviews come out, IEW is tops. Why would someone choose WWE over IEW? Is it just the cost or is there really something better about WWE?

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to purchase the continuation program for IEW. If I go this route I will end up having to buy all three because we started with SWI A. That's a whole lot of money! So I'm all ears....:bigear:

WWE lays a foundation of being able to put thoughts into words/grammatically correct sentences, and then getting those sentences onto paper. It takes the time to teach that thoroughly, so that kids are confident enough to go on to another writing program (like IEW).

Why would someone choose WWE over IEW?

Because I spent weeks looking at the IEW site and it never made sense to me. I have been a professional writer in the past, and I know that teaching writing doesn't have to be as ... weird ... as IEW seems to be.

Tara

We just started WWE2 with our 2nd grader (switching from k12.com) and so far, I really like it. First of all, the lessons are shorter, more succint, and bite-sized: easily approachable and easily understood. Second of all, it really does help DS work through how to summarize a story line (that's all we're up to!). I like how straightforward it is.

This past summer, we made the switch from IEW to WWE. Why? Several reasons: 1) while I always meant to teach IEW, I found we did not do it consistently- I didn't feel confident to teach it (even though I watched the DVDs several times), 2) I found IEW a challenge to teach to many littles, 3) I began to be concerned that IEW way of writing was all the same (always have the same things in every paragraph), 4) I wanted a guide that was more classical in its writing approach- taught how to narrate, dictate, thesis paper for rhetoric.

I plan on using the supplements for IEW (theme based products) and I still own the "Teaching Writing: Structure & Style." I'm glad I do- I learned & still use what Andrew taught (LOVE the banned word list!). I esp think IEW is great for creative writing, which one of my children loves to do but the other doesn't. Andrew is so encouraging & funny!

I hope this helps or makes sense- I'm still wrapping my mind around it all. We've been consitent with WWE (YAHOO!) but one of my children misses IEW (the creative writer), so I'm going to devote some time to it. Sometimes WWE seems too basic & easy for my children, so I think adding in IEW will help to mix it up & allow creative juices to flow.

- Heather

Sometimes WWE seems too basic & easy for my children, so I think adding in IEW will help to mix it up & allow creative juices to flow.

I'm running into this with my dd7. WWE is excellent practice but not always a real challenge for her. In third grade I plan to add Imitation in Writing's Aesop's Fables. I plan to do twenty in 3rd and twenty in 4th, or one approximately every other week. I've looked ahead at WWE3 and it's not as far along as I would like my dd to be. We'll be sticking with WWE for practice but branching out some to develop some other skills. I recently bought Writing Strands 4 used, and I'm thinking we might work through that in 5th grade along with (if it's available by then!! *fingers crossed*) Writing with Style, the second in the Complete Writer series.

Tara

I was scared off from IEW by the people who said they could spot an IEW student a mile off.

WWE inspires me because it is so doable, and because it is developmentally appropriate.

Heather

I was scared off from IEW by the people who said they could spot an IEW student a mile off.

WWE inspires me because it is so doable, and because it is developmentally appropriate.

Heather

Yes, I have heard a number of times that SWB has also said this and it has given me pause as to whether we will remain with the program (IEW) or not. Currently we are doing both simultaneously and it's working very well for us.

I have one who has only used WWE and two who started with IEW. Here are my 2 cents on the two.

My youngest enjoys WWE, gets the questions correct and does his narrations with ease. I shared your concern that it was too easy, but then an interesting thing happened. This DS, the only one who has used WWE exclusively, decided that while the older two were working on reports he wanted to write one too. He read some books and articles about bobsledding and next thing I knew had written a page and a half about the topic. I was amazed at the sentence structure and the way he summarized things he had read. I know that is all due to WWE because we haven't done any other writing programs.

So while it does seem easy for him, clearly all of that copywork and narration is taking hold. I think it is gentle learning.

My oldest used IEW in the classical school she attended. Her writing style was very rigid. It has taken her a year and a half away from it to find her writing voice. I do think IEW has merits, but for this child, a rule follower, the rules were too strict and she couldn't find the freedom to express herself.

I tried to continue IEW with my middle who had only used it for one year, but I found it too rigid and difficult to teach. We will stick to WWE and maybe use CW later. WWE is not too time consuming, they like it and it works - that to me is a homeschool Mom's dream!

He read some books and articles about bobsledding and next thing I knew had written a page and a half about the topic. I was amazed at the sentence structure and the way he summarized things he had read. I know that is all due to WWE because we haven't done any other writing programs.

So while it does seem easy for him, clearly all of that copywork and narration is taking hold. I think it is gentle learning.

:iagree: This is why we are doing WWE- I've seen some fruit already!

But it doesn't take long to do WWE- this is a blessing but sometimes my children long to write more or to write creatively. That is when we use IEW.

WWE lays a foundation of being able to put thoughts into words/grammatically correct sentences, and then getting those sentences onto paper. It takes the time to teach that thoroughly, so that kids are confident enough to go on to another writing program (like IEW).

:iagree:

Because I spent weeks looking at the IEW site and it never made sense to me. I have been a professional writer in the past, and I know that teaching writing doesn't have to be as ... weird ... as IEW seems to be.

Tara

:lol: Yeah, it's a little weird.

I think that you should do both. (unless IEW is not a good fit) A child should have copywork and narrations in the early years, followed by dictation; then you can add in another writing program or different methods. IEW works for some kids, but not all children, just like anything I suppose.

I was amazed at the sentence structure and the way he summarized things he had read.

This is what I have found, too. Ds did narration and copywork/dictation, WTM style, for grades 1-4 (then I shored up a few small details for him with WWE when that came out). It has taken awhile for him to get comfortable with the whole writing thing in general, but I find, too, that I'm amazed at his sentence structures and how well he summarizes reading. This foundation is making ds' outlines so much easier for him now, and when he has the occasional R&S writing lesson, he is able to grasp *those* concepts more easily, too, because he *knows* how to get his thoughts into words and words onto paper now. It's easier for him to learn about paragraph writing now.

DD9, who is in level 3 of WWE, is in this same process now. She's starting to insist on summarizing reading herself now, instead of waiting for my comprehension questions.

Edited by Colleen in NS