Menu

Wanna hear my supposed excuse??

So i was telling my SIL that i want to homeschool, adn that the kids are better for x x x x x x reasons.....wanna know what she said.....

"I think your just trying to get an excuse not to go back to work"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i almost died!!!! not that i wanna go to work but, come on. my exact words....

"wow, interesting, but no"

and ive never "worked" so to speak....Ive been with DH for 9 years, dabbled hear and there but since DD was born, i never WORKED. he wants me home :)

and th eonly reason it was brought up was she said we should get her dd(6) and mine together for study groups once a week. i told her she already does all her work in the am, but i wouldnt mind.....and she went on to say i SHOULD work with her because "You have all the time in the world" (since of course 2 kids and a house doesnt take ANY time AT ALL!)

AHHHH love the family. :)

So i was telling my SIL that i want to homeschool, adn that the kids are better for x x x x x x reasons.....wanna know what she said.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wow.

I've actually heard that too. Why do so many people think that EVERYONE should have a (paying) job? We manage on one income. I know others do too.

I've also known many husbands who said that after their wives got jobs, life became more expensive and they (the husbands) were actually less happy.

One year when money was tight I offered to get a job. I didn't WANT to, but I was trying to help, and my husband flat out said that he would rather have to work 2 jobs and have me stay home than have us both working.

My reply (said with a smile, of course):

"You know, there are days I'd rather take the easy road and go back to work, but I've decided to stick it out in the trenches and raise and educate my children the way that's best for our family."

Honestly, you need to set up some boundaries. I seem to remember that yours is an intercultural marriage? Mine is too and that makes boundary making harder but I had to do it and it was the best thing for me and for our relationship with dh's family. Whether or not you want to put up with the barrage of comments is up to you but if you tire of it you can make it a boundary that this subject is not up for future discussion. The consequence for crossing that boundary would be you leaving the conversation quietly - by saying good-bye and then hanging up or having to leave.

I would say however, that a boundary I think you should absolutely have is that it is absolutely off limits for them to talk to your dd about this subject. She doesn't have the capacity to decide what educational method is the best for her. The consequence for crossing that boundary is that they do not see her - until they agree to honor your terms. I must say however, that this really needs both you and your dh to be on the same page on what are the boundaries and how they are to be enforced.

Honestly, you need to set up some boundaries. I seem to remember that yours is an intercultural marriage? Mine is too and that makes boundary making harder but I had to do it and it was the best thing for me and for our relationship with dh's family. Whether or not you want to put up with the barrage of comments is up to you but if you tire of it you can make it a boundary that this subject is not up for future discussion. The consequence for crossing that boundary would be you leaving the conversation quietly - by saying good-bye and then hanging up or having to leave.

I would say however, that a boundary I think you should absolutely have is that it is absolutely off limits for them to talk to your dd about this subject. She doesn't have the capacity to decide what educational method is the best for her. The consequence for crossing that boundary is that they do not see her - until they agree to honor your terms. I must say however, that this really needs both you and your dh to be on the same page on what are the boundaries and how they are to be enforced.

very nicely put. Thank you. Im still working on seeing if DH is on the same page as i am.....im dipping in those waters....

its aslo her character. Shes one for ignorant comments, as once we talked baout my sisters sons (her oldest is 4 and severly autistic) and the other is 11 months. she asked how the baby iwas, i told her great, almost walking (she has an 1 1month old too) and she said thats GREAT......At least God blessed her with a smart child THIS TIME! "

some people....

Heh heh heh. Not to downplay how the comment affected you, and for that I am sorry, but her comment made me chuckle.

As if homeschooling isn't work. :001_huh: Work seems like the easy road when compared to the magnitude of being soley responsible for providing our children with a quality education, building a well rounded character, and providing life experiences for them to enjoy and grow through. Ha! If only I could escape to a nice 9-5 some days. ;)

As if homeschooling isn't work. :001_huh: Work seems like the easy road when compared to the magnitude of being soley responsible for providing our children with a quality education, building a well rounded character, and providing life experiences for them to enjoy and grow through. Ha! If only I could escape to a nice 9-5 some days. ;)

I was thinking about this thread lately. Another consequence to homeschooling (and staying home with kids) is that there's more cooking and more housework to do. If we were all gone for most of the day, maintaining the house would be much easier.