Menu

Help me choose a writing program please...

michaeljenn

I am using Rod and Staff Grammar and am utilizing the writing portion, but really would like more.. don't know why really, I just feel like R&S is not really enough.

So, I am thinking of using IEW, Writing Strands, Format Writing or Classical Writing. I already have IEW, Format Writing and Writing Strands. My son really does not care much for IEW... sigh. He thinks WS is ok. I like the way Classical looks, but was wondering if it is too teacher intensive.

I need something that will

1. create strong writers

2. is not toooo teacher intensive, because if it is then I will not get to it.

3. easy to understand and implement

So far, Writing Strands with a bit of Format Writing seems to fit the bill... but it is a bit tough to see all the bad reviews of WS.... I guess I am suffering from the peer pressure of wanting to use IEW and Classical Writing, because it is so popular.

Oh... this will also be for a soon to be 13, 12 and 9yo. Well, and let us not forget the 3yo and 17month old wrecking my best laid plans:lol::lol: Which is why it needs to meet #2 and #3 above!!

very student led, not very teacher intensive and great for reluctant writers and accomplished writers alike. We're planning on using this for our dd11 next year. It does contain some Christian content and controversial topics (like abortion) but I've heard you can just edit those out and choose your own topics to write about, KWIM? I didn't like WS personally (not my style of writing), but many others like it a lot. If you have WS and it's worked in the past...why switch? If it works for you...go for it! It didn't for us only b/c it just didn't "jive" w/ my philosophy/style of writing or teaching writing. SWB recommends it and that should say something, right?

Well, we've used both Writing Strands (not my favourite, but okay) and Format Writing. I didn't go for IEW because a. it's expensive, and b. too teacher intensive for my eldest who does far better if we limit the teacher intensive subjects (and so do I). I didn't want something that teaches me how to teach writing for her, but rather something she could do more independtly. She hates any writing that's not her own fiction, but has to do it. I find the boring eg's of Format Writing help her see it. Once done, though, and we're going to have to switch gears in high school to something with more teaching.

I used Writing Strands for a very short period of time with my boys before I switched to Imitations in Writing. Once the workbook and IG came out for CW, I moved to that program, and I plan to stay there until we finish the series.

I was not impressed with Writing Strands. The assignments were arbitrary; the one I distinctly remember and despise was the assignment instructing the child to describe a pencil. It taught a little arrangement and style, but no process was given for invention. It definitely uses the modern writing approach.

I did not look further at IEW after reading SWB review here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/J00review.html

What I really like about CW is that their approach uses the classical Greek progymnasmata (preliminary rhetorical exercises). Classical rhetoric is divided into 5 parts: invention, arrangement, style, memory, and delivery. The progynmasmata exercises familiarize the students with these elements of rhetoric. CW teaches these exercises through theory, analysis & imitation, and practice. There is just so much more depth in the writing instruction through CW in my opinion.

However, you have indicated that you don't want something that is too teacher intensive; therefore, I would not recommend CW for you. Instead, I would recommend the Imitation in Writing series even though it's not on your list. (http://www.logosschool.com/materials/shop/category.asp?catid=19)

HTH!

You might try Writing Tales for the 9 year old. It's pick up and go and absolutely wonderful. I really think CW Homer is fantastic, but if you don't want Teacher Intensive, I'm not sure what to recommend. But WT for the youngest should be a cake walk.

• 3 weeks later...

1. create strong writers

Oh... this will also be for a soon to be 13, 12 and 9yo. Well, and let us not forget the 3yo and 17month old wrecking my best laid plans:lol::lol: Which is why it needs to meet #2 and #3 above!!

You may want to try MY Access Home Edition:

1. "create strong writers" - It is an online writing program that guides students through the writing process: planning, organizing, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing. It includes integrated courses and activities that help them understand each part of the process and how to develop their skills throughout.

2. "is not toooo teacher intensive" - Essays are scored and individualized feedback and revision plans are provided to the student immediately through an award-winning artificial intelligence scoring engine. Additionally, it includes a parent account that allows you to monitor progress, assign or hide pre-defined writing prompts, and create your own prompts on any subject so you can use it with any subject area to "write across the curriculum".

3. "easy to understand and implement" - It is completely web-based and user friendly. Most users are up and running in less than 20 minutes.

Finally, it comes with 3 (or 6) student accounts. This way, you can monitor the progress of all 3 of your children from one place while still having the ability to manage their work flow on an individual basis.

You can read more about it at http://www.vantagelearning.com/home/products/mahome/

To be as upfront as possible (and I'm sure it's clear from my message) I do work for MY Access, but as it address the question you asked, I thought it was appropriate to respond.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have at jfallon@vantage.com

My Access Home comes loaded with prompts and exercises for 3 distinct age groups: 8-10, 11-14, and 15 to 18. Additionally, we do have add-on packs such as the SAT Prep pack for older students that include additional instruction and prompts. But I see your oldest is 13, so you probably would not need that right now.

Jennifer, I don't see a problem with any of the writing programs you own or are considering. Since your oldest likes the WS and does well with it, I'd stick with it, don't see the point in changing. Kimber's point of using WT with your 9 yo is a good one. By the time you get through WT2, you'll have covered a lot of the IEW dress-ups, but in a much more interesting way. It might give you ideas about how you could apply the principles to the other dc's writing and it would certainly help you "get" the process if you were to later try CW.

I guess I'm wondering if what you're really wanting is more subject writing. What you might do is continue WS/Jensen's with the students for whom it's working and then add in a basic weekly writing requirement, say a paragraph or two on something they've read for history or science or current events. It would be a no-brainer thing on your part to assign (just add to the checklist) and would get them writing more. See that's the irony of writing programs, that they don't necessarily contain enough PRACTICE actually writing. So if WS/Jensen's will teach him how to write a decent paragraph or 3 paragraph essay, then having a weekly requirement using that skill will make him more proficient. That's my plan for my dd this fall and I think it's something others around here do too. It's very WTM, when you think about it. You're getting your writing instruction in one source and creating do-able, repeating writing assignments in a subject area for more practice. Might be better than mixing programs, getting overloaded with complex programs, etc. Like you've already found, it's possible to own a lot of programs and not get ANY of them done, lol. I'd pick something for instruction and make a plan that gives you some practice in the simplest, most practical, implementable way possible. Just my two cents as queen of the boring repetitive weekly assignments approach. :)

I tried combining the R&S w/Wordsmith (to see if I could drop some cross-curricular writing), and that was overwhelming to my ds.

(It would have been the same workload or less, but in his mind if there's a book attached to "writing" then it's another subject and the world is just an unfair place to be! If it's mom coming up with history or science writing, it's just part of history or science. He's 13, what can I say?)

Wordsmith teaches the same skills as R&S (as far as I could see, anyway - we're almost finished with R&S-7). But, it is much more "fun" and there is much more direction for mom in what to look for (and what to leave alone) - though there will still be lots of interaction between you and dc, you will have guidance on what to talk about. And, it comes with lessons plans (4 days a week for 36 weeks).

SWB's review on the WTM website was very postive on the entire Wordsmith series.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/wordsmith.html

Best of luck!

Rhonda

I am using Rod and Staff Grammar and am utilizing the writing portion, but really would like more.. don't know why really, I just feel like R&S is not really enough.

So, I am thinking of using IEW, Writing Strands, Format Writing or Classical Writing. I already have IEW, Format Writing and Writing Strands. My son really does not care much for IEW... sigh. He thinks WS is ok. I like the way Classical looks, but was wondering if it is too teacher intensive.

1. create strong writers

So far, Writing Strands with a bit of Format Writing seems to fit the bill... but it is a bit tough to see all the bad reviews of WS.... I guess I am suffering from the peer pressure of wanting to use IEW and Classical Writing, because it is so popular.