Menu

If you don't like DITHOR or it didn't work well for your dc...

plain jane

I never even implemented it because it still looked like too much work for me and maybe busy work for them. I think the discussion questions in the WTM are good, but that obviously requires that I read the book too - which has been hard to do this year. I'm still looking for something I like that would be book specific for at least a few books a year.

I never even implemented it because it still looked like too much work for me and maybe busy work for them. I think the discussion questions in the WTM are good, but that obviously requires that I read the book too - which has been hard to do this year. I'm still looking for something I like that would be book specific for at least a few books a year.

Same here. I looked through it and thought that I'd probably spend too much time wrapping my brain around what someone else wants to teach. I'd rather go with what *I* want to teach. I just didn't like this program, and it seemed too scripted for me. I don't know, but it really did not appeal to me.

I use the program loosely. At this point it is a good reminder to me to include different genres in our required reading. It helps me to talk about different elements of story and that there are different genres with my ds. I felt that after doing one genre pretty much scripted I had a handle on what the book was asking and was able to go in my own direction. I do think at times it is to open ended and if you haven't read the book your child is reading you will have trouble - I know I do. My son likes to the projects at the end but I don't know how much they add to his reading.

I am not sure what else is out there. I would be interested too. At this point I haven't been looking because my ds is just turning 7 and I can make DITHOR work to expand his reading.

It looks stilted to me, artificial. Way too much busy-ness just to introduce the concept of genre. It looks like something you'd find in public school where sight-reading is taught and such activities are almost required for the children to actually get anything out of the books they read because they don't have the phonics knowledge to understand otherwise. My children would have stared open-mouthed at me if I'd tried to implement something like that.

I tried it this summer and it was just overwhelming to look at the book. I did try to start it a few times. Ultimately, it was just like the things my dc did in public school with books. It seemed like busy work and like it was more for making sure they are learning than having them enjoy a book.

I actually gave my copy away to another mom that was looking for it used and I told her I would just give it to her.

I do like the student book though that goes with it and has the emergency lighter day recommendations. I will probably implement it this next year. I wouldn't buy the teacher's guide to DITHOR for all of the grades though. If I wanted to get an idea about it, I would buy the student book for the grade that I would need and go from there about whether I would like it or not.