Menu

I ended up with a jar of Sunflower seed nut butter, organic.........

We have a peanut-allergic child, so we use sunflower butter as a peanut butter substitute. You can use it in any way you're normally use peanut butter: Sandwiches, ants-on-a-log (celery with nut butter and raisins), put it on pancakes or rice cakes.... :)

I love sunflower butter. It's very rich.

Cat

Same here. We use sunflower butter as other families would use peanut butter. Sometimes we even *call* it peanut butter, lol (though if my kids were younger and not keenly aware of the difference, we wouldn't do that for fear of confusion outside our home). I've even made buckeyes with sunflower butter! :)

Same here. We use sunflower butter as other families would use peanut butter. Sometimes we even *call* it peanut butter, lol (though if my kids were younger and not keenly aware of the difference, we wouldn't do that for fear of confusion outside our home). I've even made buckeyes with sunflower butter! :)

Ohhhhh ., . . Can I have your recipe? My brother's girlfriend gave us some buckeyes for Christmas. My poor PA child REALLY wanted some. I'd love to make him some as a treat sometime!

Ohhhhh ., . . Can I have your recipe? My brother's girlfriend gave us some buckeyes for Christmas. My poor PA child REALLY wanted some. I'd love to make him some as a treat sometime!

You know, I really didn't do anything different from a normal recipe for buckeyes. I don't recall which I used, but I'm sure if you Google, there'll be tons. I believe I just mixed sunflower butter, powdered sugar (it may take a little more than a peanut butter recipe because sometimes sunflower butter is a little soupier), vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Roll into balls, pick up with a toothpick and dip into melted chocolate. To make the chocolate a little softer for biting, some recipes add paraffin. I prefer to use a little cream in the semisweet chocolate, but then you'll have to refrigerate. It's been a couple of years since I last made them though, so don't rely on me -- find a real recipe! :)

we use it as a substitute for peanut butter on sandwiches and making peanut butter cookies. (well until last week when tree nuts were positive on the allergy test, ugh!)

Sunflower seeds aren't tree nuts! You should be able to eat it still - unless there's a cross contamination issue, of course. My ds is peanut/tree nut allergic and he eats sunflower butter regularly!

we use it as a substitute for peanut butter on sandwiches and making peanut butter cookies. (well until last week when tree nuts were positive on the allergy test, ugh!)

Did your doctor tell you to avoid sunflower butter because of the nut allergy? My nut (peanut and tree) allergic son has been fine with sunflower seeds, and the sunflower butter we buy is free of both peanut *and* tree-nut cross contamination. (Now certainly one could be allergic to tree nuts and to sunflower seeds, but it shouldn't be assumed...)

You know, I really didn't do anything different from a normal recipe for buckeyes. I don't recall which I used, but I'm sure if you Google, there'll be tons. I believe I just mixed sunflower butter, powdered sugar (it may take a little more than a peanut butter recipe because sometimes sunflower butter is a little soupier), vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Roll into balls, pick up with a toothpick and dip into melted chocolate. To make the chocolate a little softer for biting, some recipes add paraffin. I prefer to use a little cream in the semisweet chocolate, but then you'll have to refrigerate. It's been a couple of years since I last made them though, so don't rely on me -- find a real recipe! :)

Thanks Abbey! I'm sure I'll find something. It's so nice to know that this is an option for him!

My baby is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, and several seeds, but he tested negative for sunflower seeds. Too bad he turns his nose up at anything with sunflower seed butter in it.