Menu

I need a spelling program template to use w/ my own words

ondreeuh

My son is a more-or-less classic dyslexic. He has only been reading a year and is just starting to be willing to write. We got through Level 1 and the first few steps of Level 2 in AAS but I stopped moving forward because he was not generalizing what he could do in AAS to his other writing and I thought he might just need more time/experience reading.

We are using CLE LA (currently in 204) and we review their spelling but don't test on it. I was surprised when CLE went over the steps to memorize spelling words and it totally worked. Basically it was just 1) break down the word into its sounds, 2) read the word as you say the sounds, identifying any silent letters or vowel teams 3) practice spelling the word correctly 4) try writing the word and then checking to see if you got it right.

With almost no trouble at all he learned to spell Friday, screen and tied using those steps. So now I am encouraged to get back to spelling. Rather than trying another program I would like to just use the words in AAS. Is there a template or schedule for doing spelling with your own list? If I just wing it I know I won't be consistent. TIA!

Spelling Power workbooks might work for you. They are designed to not be list specific and have checkmarks to work your child through the learning steps (RR doesn't show this page, just the test page). I do not like the one for I bought for my 7yo, though. He has gone through the test portion quickly and only has used 2 pages of the practice portion. So if your child can write smaller, get one of the up grades!

My son is a more-or-less classic dyslexic. He has only been reading a year and is just starting to be willing to write. We got through Level 1 and the first few steps of Level 2 in AAS but I stopped moving forward because he was not generalizing what he could do in AAS to his other writing and I thought he might just need more time/experience reading.

We are using CLE LA (currently in 204) and we review their spelling but don't test on it. I was surprised when CLE went over the steps to memorize spelling words and it totally worked. Basically it was just 1) break down the word into its sounds, 2) read the word as you say the sounds, identifying any silent letters or vowel teams 3) practice spelling the word correctly 4) try writing the word and then checking to see if you got it right.

With almost no trouble at all he learned to spell Friday, screen and tied using those steps. So now I am encouraged to get back to spelling. Rather than trying another program I would like to just use the words in AAS. Is there a template or schedule for doing spelling with your own list? If I just wing it I know I won't be consistent. TIA!

I think I would just decide how quickly you want to cover the lists in AAS. Then write out your plan and post it somewhere to hold you accountable. You could do something like:

Read and analyze the words on Monday (you could add in any helpful teaching from AAS that day) If there's time, write some words.

Write the words on Tuesday and do a few Dictations

Read and analyze the reinforcement words on Wednesday--if time, write some words.

Write the reinforcement words and a few dictations on Thursday

Finish up the lesson on Friday, and do the review cards (or just read the list again) and see if he can write the words.

If some of the days are light you could practice new phonograms or review some previously learned cards.

Other than reading the word first, the steps in CLE are very similar to the segmenting steps AAS taught in Level 1 that should be done with every lesson. We always talk through and analyze the sounds.

Merry :-)

Thanks Merry. I know you've really tried to help me make AAS work! I think my problem with AAS is that using it as directed is very heavily slanted towards spelling by sound. He has a lot of difficulty hearing sounds, which AAS has helped. and now he is pretty good at segmenting by sound. However, he also has an articulation disorder and he doesn't pronounce words correctly, so spelling by sound is not a reliable method. Yesterday, he spelled the phrase "words that mean the same thing" like this: werd dat men the sam siing. Aside from the obvious pronunciation problem, he forgot to make the vowels in the words "same" and "mean" say their second sound, which we have gone over only a million times and he will do if reminded. Even if he had remembered he would have just added an e to the end of each one, which would still have been incorrect for mean. AAS requires the student to go through a mental check-list as they work on a word, ie. is this a short vowel; which two letters can make this sound and which do I try first; what happens if I try this, etc. That is just so much to keep track of and it uses his weakest learning pathway, kwim? He's very strong in visual-spatial skills and I think we need to focus on learning spelling visually. I just don't see him ever becoming a good speller using this method as written. He will be nine this summer. I can't waste much more time.

I would recommend Spelling Plus, it focuses on the most common 1,000 words organized by rule. For anyone who has to maximize their spelling time, it makes sense to work on the most frequent words. That is one good use of sight words that I can get behind!

From the review on RR:

Do you want to see improved spelling in your students’ writing? Research shows that 90% of English text consists of just 1000 words. This book focuses on teaching the most commonly used and misspelled words and ensuring that students of all ability levels receive intense instruction on core words. The book is divided into four main parts; Incredible English, Spelling and Teaching, Recommended Teaching Techniques, and Spelling Lists.

Here it is.

It also has a companion book with dictation sentences made up of the same words if your son needs to write them in dictation as well as in lists.

You might also want to take a look at my UPP. If he learned the markings and made cards or lists of words with the markings, it might be helpful to "see" the markings and therefore "see" the correct spelling and pronunciation. My first 20 or so phonics lessons now have the UPP markings taught, enough to learn most of the system, and I'm working, albeit very slowly, on updating the rest with UPP.