Menu

Do you personally know of a hs'er who has gotten into a big name University?

I might be screaming some Roll Tide (hehe), but I sure do love Tim Tebow. He is an amazing and outstanding young man. Florida should be proud. =) I had no idea he was homeschooled. Did he homeschool until high school?

He homeschooled through HS. He took part in the sports program at his local highschool which is allowed here in FL.

His mom has spoken at some of our conferences. It's usually standing room only. LOL She is a sweet lady.

I might be screaming some Roll Tide (hehe), but I sure do love Tim Tebow. He is an amazing and outstanding young man. Florida should be proud. =) I had no idea he was homeschooled. Did he homeschool until high school?

He was homeshooled all through school. In FL homeschoolers can participate in ps sports (& classes), hence the "Tebow Laws" that Alabama-fans are trying to get through. :D

So, my "counter question" would be what percentage of graduated public schoolers make it to an Ivy League? What percentage of graduated private schooled students?

It's even more complicated when you consider that "Ivy League" or living room recognizable name is not necessarily on the "must have" list of parents and students from any setting.

That, and from this thread, what math curriculum did the parents of the homeschooled students use? :lol::lol:

From what my sister (the attorney) was saying, Vanderbilt Univ was one of the Tier 1 schools...not sure what that meant, but graduating from that particular law school meant you would make significantly more money than graduates from lower-tiered schools. It was very difficult to get into and very, very expensive.

What curriculum did she use? This was like 15 years ago, so I think they just did "textbook stuff". Oh, and she was always really bad in math (I used to make fun of her - I was a science major).

I know she started taking college classes when she was high school-sophomore-age. She also did a lot of volunteer work - like at a mental hospital, a nursing home, etc.

My son was accepted at The Citadel, Patrick Henry, Uninted States Coast Guard Academy and Liberty University (whose law students outdebated both Harvard and Yale last year). He was accepted at 2 other minor colleges. He only applied to 6. Harvard told me that he would be accepted if I sent in his transcript and SAT's. But we didn't because of it's reputation of how the Professors treated Christians.

If you could, PM me about how you prepped your son in high school. My son wants to attend either the Citadel or West Point. We start high school next year and I am debating putting him in public school (Which he doesn't want) because I'm worried that I can't get him where wants.

I'd be thankful for any information.

This topic came up recently with some neighbors and we were all wondering how successful hs'ing is in regards to being accepted into the big universities. I know I've read about a hs'er going to some place like Harvard, but I have not known any IRL.

Basically our conversation was about how our local PS puts out successful teens that get into Duke, Harvard, Northwestern, Stanford....etc. Then they asked if hs'ing can do that. My response: :confused::confused::confused:

Good question.

Anyone here personally know of any..... besides the one or two that we've read about? Keep in mind that I'm referring only to the big ones, not state universities.

Thanks...:bigear:

Vanderbilt, Duke, Notre Dame

Georgia Tech, UNC

(All within the last two years. Multiples got into some of those schools. All the kids are local. )

Edited by Laurie4b