Menu

How much would you pack for a 7 day vacation...

if the condo you were staying in had a washer/dryer? I will be traveling in about 2 weeks to Southern California with my 4 dc and I would like to go as lite as possible yet I would like my family to present well:tongue_smilie:. We are meeting my parents and my brother- it's been over 2 years since we have seen them and they haven't met my dd. I did purchase each of the boys a couple of shirts that match so when we go to the parks they will be easily to spot and keep track of.

Help:001_huh:

Even without a washer, I limit myself to one bag that I can take on the plane with me (so I never bring big bottles of sunscreen, shampoos or moisturizer), So: my laptop, which I have a child carry in his/her backpack, or I put in my messenger-purse bag. Small overnight case on wheels, backpack or messenger bag across my body. Make sure you can maneuver down the isle without issue. You do have to send your laptop through security x ray out of any backpack or bag.

I only bring clothing I like, what helps me feel like me. If I can't wear it comfortably at home, I probably won't wear it away. That's basically a handful of items--which includes my fav skirt and top, my fav pair of jeans, my fav pair of dressier pants, my fav pair of capris ( I know, I know), my pashmina shawl, a couple tops, yoga pants & top that can double as PJs, a weeks worth of undies, a bathing suit (love a good hot tub), and a couple of pairs of shoes, plus the ones I wear on the pane. If I find I need something, in a pinch there are Targets , malls, CVS' and such pretty much everywhere. (For good or for bad).

You can stash everything your kids need in their own carry- on bag --they can each have one, and each of them can have a backpack. But don't overstuff them. The roll -on bags can be stowed overheard, but the backpack needs to fit under the seat. If you look overloaded getting on the plane, the attendants often make you check the bags. So think compact. I'd pack the kids jeans, a couple pair shorts if it's warm, i pr nice pants each, a couple of nice tops, t's, bathing suit, some socks, 1 pr PJ's, or boxers & T's that can sub as PJ's, small games, books for the plane. etc. Have them put their tie sneakers in the packs or rolling bag and have them wear their dressier slip -on loafers or Merrill-type shoes onto the plane. Even kids have to remove their shoes. You really do not want to deal with tie shoes at all, in any way, during that process. ;)

Less is more.

Edited by LibraryLover

if the condo you were staying in had a washer/dryer? I will be traveling in about 2 weeks to Southern California with my 4 dc and I would like to go as lite as possible yet I would like my family to present well:tongue_smilie:. We are meeting my parents and my brother- it's been over 2 years since we have seen them and they haven't met my dd. I did purchase each of the boys a couple of shirts that match so when we go to the parks they will be easily to spot and keep track of.

Help:001_huh:

I'm glad you posted this, I am hoping to take my kids to southern CA within the next few weeks too! Right now, I'm concerned more about the weather and travel. Do you think it will be better by then? I have no idea what's normal for CA this time of year.

Hope your trip goes well and you can enjoy your time with your family.

I just returned from a week in California :) the weather is supposed to be clear by the weekend. Hopefully!

My two kids share a standard 22" rollerboard suitcase, which we always check. They each have a dedicated "travel" outfit that goes straight onto a hanger when we arrive at our destination, so that it isn't accidentally dirtied during our stay (or holes worn into the knees, which I learned the hard way!) -- layers are good since planes get cold, especially window seats -- tee, sweater, pants, slip-on shoes or boots for those who can't tie their own.

In our checked bag I bring two pairs of pants per kid (one pair of jeans + one sports pants or leggings for around the house that can double as extra PJs) and enough shirts to cover each day of our visit (kids sizes roll so compactly, it's worth it to me to have enough rather than worry about needing to wash).

I bring enough undies and socks for every other day of our visit - so, 3-4 pairs for a 7-day visit. These both wash so easily in the sink or shower, drying overnight, that it's not worth packing more IMO.

I always bring one sweatshirt or light jacket, just in case.

I usually pack one pair of shorts per kid, too (or a plain skirt for my daughter - denim, khaki, something that matches all of the shirts I packed).

I pack two pairs of shoes per kid, but we like variety. One pair would be fine, even no extra pairs would work if your airplane shoes are comfy. I make my kids "dress" for the airplane, so they usually pack a pair of tennies + a pair of flip flops or Crocs to wear during their visit.

I'm a flight attendant, and my kids fly often. We tweak for cold weather (leave out the shorts/skirts/flip flops, add in extra jacket and sweater) or summer (two pairs of shorts, one pair of jeans + bathing suit), but this is our standard packed suitcase, regardless of destination. We always have room leftover, and rarely need a washer/dryer during our vacations. I roll everything to fit it compactly and to avoid wrinkles/folds.

Our carryon is a 12" rollerboard that can fit under our seat if necessary. In it we pack:

two travel sized pillows (helpful, too, to secure a smaller child into the seatbelt)

enough small blankets for everyone (airplane blankets are disgusting, please don't use them!)

small insulated lunchbag with snacks

empty water bottles to fill post-security

one empty grocery bag to serve as our "trash bag" until the end of the flight

... I don't let my kids do electronics on planes, but a DVD player or DS or such would fit comfortably, too

Additionally, each kid carries his or her own backpack with books, iPod, headphones, etc. And I bring my purse with my own books, magazines, and laptop. Any of those three could also be shoved into the carryon rollerboard if we needed it to be (overzealous agents checking bags, for instance).

Have a good trip!

Thanks for all the great suggestions! This is exactly the input I needed to get started on my list:lol:. My fear is that I will do exactly as Peela mentioned and pack too much- yet leave out something really important! I hate having to do all the packing for everyone...too much responsibility:001_huh:

Jeanne- We will be in the San Diego area and the extended forecast looks pretty good. Hopefully all the bad weather is long gone by then.

I have to put my dd's car seat and my ds's booster seat in baggage so I will probably have one checked bag-and hopefully with your suggestions I can keep it to that one along with our carry-on bags. I am going to print this thread and get started!

You all are the best.