Menu

When to advance in math?

This is my daughters first year homeschooling.

In private school (7th grade) she was a C student in math and did not seem to be understanding much. In 6th grade I got her a math tutor to help her.

I had her take the Saxon math placement test and we started in 76. Within 2-3 months it became apparent that she was ready to move on. We skipped around in the book till the end and she did amazing.

So we just began Saxon Math 87. We started at Lesson 40 and she is flying through it getting 100% on every assignment.

Part of me wants to have her do every lesson (or every 5th lesson or so) and finish the book. And part of me wants to skip to the end and then start on Algebra 1.

I must admit that my biggest fear is not for her but for me. Its much easier for me to teach (and refresh myself) when we go in a more orderly fashion.

Opinions?

This is my daughters first year homeschooling.

In private school (7th grade) she was a C student in math and did not seem to be understanding much. In 6th grade I got her a math tutor to help her.

I had her take the Saxon math placement test and we started in 76. Within 2-3 months it became apparent that she was ready to move on. We skipped around in the book till the end and she did amazing.

So we just began Saxon Math 87. We started at Lesson 40 and she is flying through it getting 100% on every assignment.

Part of me wants to have her do every lesson (or every 5th lesson or so) and finish the book. And part of me wants to skip to the end and then start on Algebra 1.

I must admit that my biggest fear is not for her but for me. Its much easier for me to teach (and refresh myself) when we go in a more orderly fashion.

Opinions?

I wouldn't skip anything. Do every lesson and finish the book. Skipping lessons now can lead to trouble in Algebra 1. Really.

This may have had little to do with math and more to do with the class, the teacher, the social scene, etc. We noticed a huge leap in dd's academic ability when we brought her home.

Your dd may have been still "decompressing" from regular school when she did the placement test (and therefore, did not place at the correct level.) Have you considered trying another placement test?

(http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Books/IntroAlgebra/pretest.pdf)

That could validate her first placement test or let you know if she should move on.