Menu

Exercising in "small bits"

What are the disadvantages to exercising in 10-15 minute time segments? I know I won't achieve the cardio/aerobic benefit, but as far as losing weight, toning muscle, tightening, generally getting in shape...will this still work? Yesterday I got a 7 minute segment, a 15 minute one and a 10 minute one. Am I still getting benefit if that is all I can do on some days?

I think it is good for muscle strengthening/toning. I would not consider it to help with specific weight loss. It would help a little. For actual weight loss you would need to be doing a certain amount of cardio exercise and diet management. Keep doing what you can, when you can. You will see benefits.

Studies have been done to show that 30 minutes of exercise has the same overall benefits whether done in one chunk of time or three smaller increments.

Can't cite one on the fly, but I know one study came out when I doing health related education/support.

In a recommendation by the ACSM/AHA, it states:

"Moderate-intensity aerobic activity, which is generally equivalent to a brisk walk and noticeably accelerates the heart rate, can be accumulated toward the 30-min minimum by performing bouts each lasting 10 or more minutes."

Moderate-intensity aerobic activity should be a minimum of 5 days per week. It does state that persons wishing to

"further improve their personal fitness, reduce their risk for chronic diseases and disabilities or prevent unhealthy weight gain" may need to excede these MINIMUM recommendations.

Edited by JoyfulMama
found a source

Studies have been done to show that 30 minutes of exercise has the same overall benefits whether done in one chunk of time or three smaller increments.

Can't cite one on the fly, but I know one study came out when I doing health related education/support.

According to AFAA, this is true. =)

Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. South Beach is a great way of eating.

Don't forget weights! As we age we lose muscle tone and weights are a great way to tone!

I don't believe you start burning *fat* until you've reached around 30-40 minutes of cardio. However, you are burning calories, so you should be contributing to weight loss. It would have the same effect as, say, walking everywhere instead of driving, no? But you will certainly get into better shape and tone up your muscles.

May I make a suggestion? While you're on the elliptical in smaller bouts, put it up to a higher resistance or high steps per minute (I prefer resistance). If you bring this up, you'll be exercising in the anaerobic stage, which, aside from burning much more calories, will help you build/tone muscle and will increase your metabolism quite a bit. The longer you do this, your weight loss will accelerate.

I used to be a personal trainer, but that was a decade ago, so my information might be outdated. You do not start burning fat until 30 minutes, BUT doing small segments throughout the day WILL substantially raise your metabolism all day long. If you could do three segments a day and add in one long segment 2 or 3 times a week, you will do great. There used to be a term called the weekend warrior and the idea was that using the stairs at work, going for a brisk walk twice a day and then working out really long on the weekends is just as good as someone that hits the gym every morning for an hour.

I would make some of the segments interval training. Push hard for 2-3 minutes, back off for 1, push hard again and repeat for 10-15 minutes.

I say do whatever you can do; it adds up!