Menu

Do you use the McCall-Crabbs test lessons in reading?

kalanamak

How do you implement it? Weekly? Fits of testing?

Has it helped you in any way?

We did our first test last night. Kiddo is prone to perfectionism and not being able to read the word "suggested" ended the test with tears. I think we can get over this. It helped me see we need reinforcement with the change of c and g before certain vowels.

However, I am always enlightened by all the creative ways people use things (creative: something different than what I thought of).

How do you use McC-Crabb? Thanks

I used levels A and B in the past for my youngest. We did a lesson about 4 times a week. I just had him read the passage silently (independently) and answer the questions, then I graded it and we kept a chart of his scores. I didn't time him. I started him off at level A even though he was reading higher than that, because I wanted him to see success early on (he's a bit of a perfectionist too, well, he was at that time, now mistakes don't bother him as much). It helped with fluency and silent independent reading, which is what he needed most. It only took a few minutes a day, quick and painless.

We used the books as consumables. I have all the levels in separate paperback books, I bought them in the 90's from Bonnie Dettmer's company. I think my particular edition is not thought of quite as highly as the one-volume hardcover that Wanda Sanseri's company sells. Anyway, they worked fine for me.

I used the McCall-Crabbs test lessons with DD. I actually started with the McCall-Harby book when DD was reading fluently. We did 2-3 lessons per week. I timed DD and tracked her score, but she didn't know that I was timing her or grading her. After DD answered all the questions, I went over them with her and we discussed any questions that she wasn't sure about and any questions that she got wrong. In our discussions I would guide DD back to the relevant part of the text and often she could then figure out the right answer on her own. At first DD got upset whenever she didn't know the answer or got an answer wrong, but eventually she got over it when she realized that there was no penalty from wrong answers and I would explain it to her.

If your son is still having trouble decoding words, you might want to hold off on the test lessons until he can read more fluently. The lessons are supposed to work on reading comprehension, not decoding words.

I was planning on starting with McCall-Harby this week with my 5yo, but now I might hold off until next year. As I was reading on the SWR yahoo group about using them, I found that most people said that Book A is pretty difficult for most 2nd graders and it's a good idea to wait until 3rd grade to start it. This applies to the 1961 version (sold by BHI and SEI) which is harder than newer versions. After reading that, I might wait until halfway through 1st to start McCall-Harby and progress from there. I think he'd do well with McCall-Harby now, but I don't want to hit a snag when we get to McCall-Crabbs. After looking over the books in-depth this week, I'm sad to put them away for another year.

SWR also recommends using it 3x/week (once you get to the McCall-Crabbs books) and they use the lessons in order of difficulty which is not how they are ordered in the books.

I wonder if there is info about how to use the books in WRTR? You could always get a copy from the library. I don't remember if it's included, but Spalding does use and sell the books. There might even be info on their website.

Can't wait to read posts from others.

I have used at least 5 reading programs with my son and I can't get anything to stick. I was eyeing this but the cost scared me off. :001_huh:

I haven't used the McCall-Harby but we do use McCall-Crabbs. I wouldn't really call it a reading program. To me it is more a practice in reading comprehension and a way to measure it. My oldest took right off with it in 3rd grade but 2nd ds who is in 4th still doesn't get all the questions very often but I have seen improvement. The timing aspect can be a frustration to some children but mine have accepted switching to a red pencil after 3 min. I do think it is a good test prep for reading comprehension if you do standardized tests.

I have them do it 3x per week and I have developed a system that uses some answer sheets someone made online years ago. I set up all the lessons in the summer so they know exactly which one is next. My oldest even grades his own.

These are school "candy" for my boys, especially my ds9. They love the little stories. We don't jump around, I find it easier to keep track if we go in order. The boys are timed for 3 minutes. And I do grade them but I grade in batches, like around 20 at a time. I can also get a handle on how the boys' day is going just by how well the boys did on them. I will start my dd on them probably in about mid-first grade to early second grade. I tried starting her this year in K and it just wasn't time yet.

My dc use McCall-Crabbs (the 5-volume-in-one compendium from Back Home Industries). I start them with volume A in grade 3, and progress through one volume each year, doing 2 or 3 timed readings per week. I rearrange the readings within each volume in order of difficulty.

One of my dc loves doing the "three minutes" but the other doesn't enjoy it so much due to the timed aspect. Both dc have scored very well on the reading comprehension section on standardized tests.

We have only been using them for a month with my 11 & 10 year old dc. Can't say if it's helped yet. Too soon to tell, but I can say that both my dc enjoy them and do not get stressed about being timed.

I told them it's not a test. We correct them together but they don't know I'm keeping track of their scores 5.6, 6.2 etc. ;) Both dc are using book B. I purchased two sets of the individual books from a SWR website because it's seems less cumbersome than one big thick book.

This is the third year I've used this with my son. I like it and he always scores well above grade level, but I find that his success with McCall Crabbs does not transfer to his standardized tests. I think it is because there are very few inferential questions in McCall Crabbs and the standardized tests really seem to hit that area hard. My son is excellent at fact recall, but not as strong with inferential questions.

Lisa