Menu

Medieval Mom did you decide on your history yet?

mama25angels

:D

First of all, may I say that I am pleased as punch that you're asking? I always somewhat consider my posts to be a bore to the board. I'm ridiculously happy that you're interested! :blushing:

Yes, I've decided on studying Ancient Egypt ala LCC for 2nd. The more I thought about it, the more I could see ds and I really enjoying "getting into Egypt" for a full year. There is so much to learn! Materials are readily available, including plenty of fantastic picture books and video documentaries;)

Ds also keeps asking, "Can we do science in 2nd grade?" Now, we're using the Burgess Bird book in 1st (mostly because ds LOVES birds). We also take nature walks (though not in this weather!). He loves playing with his snap circuits, etc. But somehow, in his mind, this does not qualify as science. So, again, the more I thought about it, the more I imagined us doing school in a LCC-ish sort of way (with one subject in the afternoon per week). Otherwise, I can just see myself allowing history to completely dominate our studies...

We're currently trying out this method in 1st. Ds likes to color or play with Legos while I read aloud.

Monday: World History with CHOW (and Artpac 1)

Tuesday: Burgess Bird Book (various Dover bird coloring books)

Wednesday: Fairy tales from Andrew Lang's fairy books

Thursday: American History with d'Aulaire books and Map Skills 1

Friday: Aesop (we've already read his Beginner's Bible)

So far, so good!

In 2nd, we'll continue with:

Monday: World History: Ancient Egypt. Various and sundry readings, including SOTW 1, Pharaoh's of Ancient Egypt, etc.

Tuesday: Science. My Nature Journal, Patterns of Nature by R&S (for rainy days and winter), One Small Square series. Ds will read the Burgess Animal Book. I hope to do some stargazing, too; my father is an amateur astronomer. This subject will be interest and opportunity led.

Wednesday: Literature. d'Aulaire's Greek Myths and Norse Myths. (Dh is from Norway, so HE'S thrilled about this!)

Thursday: Christian Studies 1 by MP.

Friday: BF's Geography Through Literature with Holling C. Holling books OR a general arts & activity day. If the BF guide is over ds's head, we'll shelve it and just do art and other science/history projects we didn't get to earlier in the week.

I imagine we'll watch plenty of documentaries on Ancient Egypt as well. Right now, my ds is fascinated with this video from Nova: http://video.pbs.org/video/1379655910/. I also plan on purchasing Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors as well as Ancient Israelites and Their Neighbors if our library cannot obtain them.

I'm excited about using MP's Famous Men of... series in the following years. I plan to supplement with Guerber's books, too.

I like SOTW, and plan to use it in our studies. But somehow using it as our spine seemed to hurried for our family's tastes. We really like to wallow in a time period for a while. Now, ds is only 6, so this may change :D Right now, however, he just can't get ENOUGH of the American Revolution. (He LOVES Liberty's Kids.)

I also decided against VP for various reasons.

In all, I was so greatly inspired by Janice's in NJ's response that I've renamed my scope and sequence plans "The Aristotle Curriculum" and use the painting by Raphael titled The School of Athens as my desktop picture on the computer. I am willing to try out this plan in the world of reality to see whether it works for us. And the only way to do just that is to TRY!

This is probably all much more than you wanted to know :lol:

The short answer to your question is, "Yes. Ancient Egypt ala LCC." :001_rolleyes:

Thank you so much for answering!!!! I decided to go back to Biblioplan with my ds, but only because my 8th grader was using it. I do plan to go a different route with him next year and your post has given me some wonderful ideas and plenty to think about as I start planning my curriculum purchases for next year.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested, I *MAY* use HO Ancient 1 guide (the first 19 Lessons) and the SOTW AG 1 (supp.) at the rate of about one lesson every two weeks. This could give me the structure I'd like and expose us to more than "just Egyptians", but at the pace that works best for us. (I love that HO includes the ancient Celts ;) )

I'm throwing this out there for those who are considering LCC in 2nd, but want a little more structure. I am also considering Living Books Curriculum, but I already have SOTW AG and History Odyssey Ancients.

Of course, we may very well end up going at our own pace, running amok among all things Egyptian for the year. ;)

Hope this helps someone :)

Edited by Medieval Mom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
:D

First of all, may I say that I am pleased as punch that you're asking? I always somewhat consider my posts to be a bore to the board. I'm ridiculously happy that you're interested! :blushing:

Yes, I've decided on studying Ancient Egypt ala LCC for 2nd. The more I thought about it, the more I could see ds and I really enjoying "getting into Egypt" for a full year. There is so much to learn! Materials are readily available, including plenty of fantastic picture books and video documentaries;)

Ds also keeps asking, "Can we do science in 2nd grade?" Now, we're using the Burgess Bird book in 1st (mostly because ds LOVES birds). We also take nature walks (though not in this weather!). He loves playing with his snap circuits, etc. But somehow, in his mind, this does not qualify as science. So, again, the more I thought about it, the more I imagined us doing school in a LCC-ish sort of way (with one subject in the afternoon per week). Otherwise, I can just see myself allowing history to completely dominate our studies...

We're currently trying out this method in 1st. Ds likes to color or play with Legos while I read aloud.

Monday: World History with CHOW (and Artpac 1)

Tuesday: Burgess Bird Book (various Dover bird coloring books)

Wednesday: Fairy tales from Andrew Lang's fairy books

Thursday: American History with d'Aulaire books and Map Skills 1

Friday: Aesop (we've already read his Beginner's Bible)

So far, so good!

In 2nd, we'll continue with:

Monday: World History: Ancient Egypt. Various and sundry readings, including SOTW 1, Pharaoh's of Ancient Egypt, etc.

Tuesday: Science. My Nature Journal, Patterns of Nature by R&S (for rainy days and winter), One Small Square series. Ds will read the Burgess Animal Book. I hope to do some stargazing, too; my father is an amateur astronomer. This subject will be interest and opportunity led.

Wednesday: Literature. d'Aulaire's Greek Myths and Norse Myths. (Dh is from Norway, so HE'S thrilled about this!)

Thursday: Christian Studies 1 by MP.

Friday: BF's Geography Through Literature with Holling C. Holling books OR a general arts & activity day. If the BF guide is over ds's head, we'll shelve it and just do art and other science/history projects we didn't get to earlier in the week.

I imagine we'll watch plenty of documentaries on Ancient Egypt as well. Right now, my ds is fascinated with this video from Nova: http://video.pbs.org/video/1379655910/. I also plan on purchasing Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors as well as Ancient Israelites and Their Neighbors if our library cannot obtain them.

I'm excited about using MP's Famous Men of... series in the following years. I plan to supplement with Guerber's books, too.

I like SOTW, and plan to use it in our studies. But somehow using it as our spine seemed to hurried for our family's tastes. We really like to wallow in a time period for a while. Now, ds is only 6, so this may change :D Right now, however, he just can't get ENOUGH of the American Revolution. (He LOVES Liberty's Kids.)

I also decided against VP for various reasons.

In all, I was so greatly inspired by Janice's in NJ's response that I've renamed my scope and sequence plans "The Aristotle Curriculum" and use the painting by Raphael titled The School of Athens as my desktop picture on the computer. I am willing to try out this plan in the world of reality to see whether it works for us. And the only way to do just that is to TRY!

This is probably all much more than you wanted to know :lol:

The short answer to your question is, "Yes. Ancient Egypt ala LCC." :001_rolleyes:

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have two questions. If you have time, could you let me know your reasons for deciding against VP? I like their brochure and the books they recommend, but I'm not using any packaged curriculum.

Second, what do you mean by Ancient Egypt ala LCC? I've read LCC and would like to follow his suggestions. We are studying Ancient Egypt at this moment. Could you explain what you mean?

Thanks for the link to PBS. :auto: to watch it now.

ETA: I think I now know why I don't understand what you were talking about - I have the first edition of LCC which talks about 2-3 tracks of history study. So the author completely switches his recommendation in the 2nd edition??? He wants us to focus on Ancient Egypt for 1 year, perhaps? Has anything else changed from 1st to 2nd edition?

Edited by crazyforlatin

OH DEAR! This is embarrassing! Since this thread, I have switched gears yet again. :lol: Ds COULDN'T WAIT to start ancients in 2nd, and insisted on reading about it NOW! So, we spent the second half of 1st grade reading all about the ancients, listening to SOTW 1 on cd, and completing AO 1.

He loved reading the books from AO 1 so much! And as I was spinning in circles as to WHAT to do next year ;), I decided that regardless of what I chose for history, I'd still be keeping the AO suggestions for nature study, poetry, shakespeare, literature, art appreciation, etc., etc. In short, I thought to myself, "Why not make this easier on everybody and just try out AO Year 2 to see how it goes?" I found that the truth of the matter is: we like all the extras!

So this is what we are doing! We just completed our first week of 2nd grade, using AO as the backbone of our studies. I am adding SOTW 2, ch. 1-27 (the medieval period), spaced throughout the year, and I haven't bothered AT ALL to correlate the readings with CHOW or OIS. I found that having the books cover the same material, but not in the same week, is actually ideal for us. We read about the subject again, from a different voice, and all the lightbulbs come on. "Oh! I remember this!" When we tried lining things up for a while at the beginning of 1st grade, ds would ask, "Why are we reading about this again?" Big difference!

Hmm... I'll answer your specific questions in the next post...

Edited by Medieval Mom

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have two questions. If you have time, could you let me know your reasons for deciding against VP? I like their brochure and the books they recommend, but I'm not using any packaged curriculum.

Second, what do you mean by Ancient Egypt ala LCC? I've read LCC and would like to follow his suggestions. We are studying Ancient Egypt at this moment. Could you explain what you mean? Yes, in the 2nd edition of LCC, Drew schedules an entire year of Ancient Egypt, using Pharaoh's from Egypt as the Spine. (I read it, but found it too dry to use as a spine for an entire year for us.)

Thanks for the link to PBS. :auto: to watch it now.

ETA: I think I now know why I don't understand what you were talking about - I have the first edition of LCC which talks about 2-3 tracks of history study. So the author completely switches his recommendation in the 2nd edition??? He wants us to focus on Ancient Egypt for 1 year, perhaps? Has anything else changed from 1st to 2nd edition?

I don't have the first edition, so hopefully someone else can chime in here. I think the suggestions have actually changed quite a bit! From what I understand, geography uses Evan-Moor instead of literature, Latin begins a little later, History follows 1 track instead of 2, Christian studies is its own subjects, etc. in the 2nd edition. Luckily, if you are very interested, the 2nd edition is readily available, perhaps even at the library or through inter-library loan. I ordered mine from Memoria Press.

Medieval Mom, once again you've inspired me!!!!!! It also looks like we're doing close to the same curriculum again, we'll be using the AO yr.2 literature suggestions. I also wanted to say "thank you" for reminding me not to worry about trying to line things up so much for the kids, to allow them to make some, if not all of the connections for themselves. I know it seems such a silly thing, but I know for some of us it can be a real sticking point.

Medieval Mom, thanks. I like the way you let your son do all the extras. A few short chapters on Ancient Egypt in SOTW seem abrupt. Does AO stand for Ambleside Online?

With SWB, she has stayed firm with her belief in the chronological study of history. LCC, on the other hand, seems to have switched gears. He was quite firm in his multi-stream approach. :confused: I'll have to go get the 2nd edition. So am I correct that he advocates studying one year of Ancient Egypt, just like VP?

Medieval Mom, thanks. I like the way you let your son do all the extras. A few short chapters on Ancient Egypt in SOTW seem abrupt. Does AO stand for Ambleside Online?

With SWB, she has stayed firm with her belief in the chronological study of history. LCC, on the other hand, seems to have switched gears. He was quite firm in his multi-stream approach. :confused: I'll have to go get the 2nd edition. So am I correct that he advocates studying one year of Ancient Egypt, just like VP?

Yes, AO is Ambleside Online.

Yes, in the second edition, Drew advocates studying one year of Egypt, just like VP.

Good luck in your research and decision-making! :)

Medieval Mom, once again you've inspired me!!!!!! It also looks like we're doing close to the same curriculum again, we'll be using the AO yr.2 literature suggestions. I also wanted to say "thank you" for reminding me not to worry about trying to line things up so much for the kids, to allow them to make some, if not all of the connections for themselves. I know it seems such a silly thing, but I know for some of us it can be a real sticking point.

You're welcome! We're all learning as we go! :)