Menu

sparkpeople question

I've been tracking my calories on sparkpeople and I've been doing pretty well. I've been eating only when hungry and have seriously cut back on my mindless eating. I'm trying to take heart in that though I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks.

My question is about the recommended calories per day. Sparkpeople suggests something like 1450-1850 calories per day. I have my activity level logged as little to no exercise. I am 170 lbs and 5'4.

Those calories seem really high. I'm staying toward the bottom of that range but it seems high and I'm not losing AT ALL.

Have others had to adjust the calorie goal down? I just changed it to 1200-1500. That's pretty arbitrary but feels more "right".

I just wondered what experience others have had with this. I'm all for slow weight loss and lifetime changes- those really are my goals this time. It just seems like too many calories allowed.

Thanks,

Marie

I've been tracking my calories on sparkpeople and I've been doing pretty well. I've been eating only when hungry and have seriously cut back on my mindless eating. I'm trying to take heart in that though I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks.

My question is about the recommended calories per day. Sparkpeople suggests something like 1450-1850 calories per day. I have my activity level logged as little to no exercise. I am 170 lbs and 5'4.

Those calories seem really high. I'm staying toward the bottom of that range but it seems high and I'm not losing AT ALL.

Have others had to adjust the calorie goal down? I just changed it to 1200-1500. That's pretty arbitrary but feels more "right".

I just wondered what experience others have had with this. I'm all for slow weight loss and lifetime changes- those really are my goals this time. It just seems like too many calories allowed.

Thanks,

Marie

I think that your calorie goal is lowered as you lose weight, so when you take off a few pounds, they will lower your goal. They do not want you to take it off too fast.

Have you gone into the fitness section? Getting exercise is a must if I am to succeed with weight loss. Eating right doesn't do enough. I like to bounce on my trampoline in the morning and then get out for a 20 minute walk in the afternoon. When I am able to shovel snow, cross-country ski, rake leaves, or do other more-energetic work, however, the weight comes off much more easily.

If exercise and diet does not bring off any weight, I'd suggest you check with your doctor. There could be other things causing problems--thyroid, for example.

Good luck!

Jean

I just realized this past weekend that Sparkpeople was probably giving me too many calories to use. I was also in the a bit over 1500 range. This past Fri - Sun - I wasn't feeling that great and in general ate less calories. I lost 2lbs just like that. The previous two weeks I was following Sparkpeople and routinely doing my Wii Active. No weight loss. I was talking to my mom and told her I really think I needed to be more in the 1200 range to lose weight. I hate that! But I am going to aim for it for awhile. Good luck!

I think it also depends on how long you give yourself to meet your goal. For instance, if your goal was to lose 24 lbs, but you gave yourself a year to do it, Sparkpeople would determine that you needed to lose only 2 lbs. per month/.5 lbs per week, and would give you a pretty high calorie limit. That's probably not the issue, but you could double-check just in case.

I think it also depends on how long you give yourself to meet your goal. For instance, if your goal was to lose 24 lbs, but you gave yourself a year to do it, Sparkpeople would determine that you needed to lose only 2 lbs. per month/.5 lbs per week, and would give you a pretty high calorie limit. That's probably not the issue, but you could double-check just in case.

I haven't checked but I bet that's it! My goal is 20 pounds and I think I gave myself a year to do it (trying to be very realistic and patient :) )

That must be it. I don't want to start over and lose all my favorite foods, etc. so I just edited down myself.

Thanks for solving my mystery. That makes perfect sense.

Marie

Thanks,

Marie

A couple of years ago, I lost ~15-20 lbs over 4 months on Sparkpeople using the 1200-1500 menus. I was usually on the 1500 end of the range, but I lost consistently - not too quickly. Unfortunately, when I quit tracking over the next year and half I gained much of it back. I think if I had switched to the 1500-1800 and just kept track I would have been ok. I'm back on it now - trying again.

I'm noticing, though, a difference in the menus now. They seemed to have more grain servings and less dairy before. Has anyone else noticed this?