Menu

Angel Food Ministries question

I looked at their web-site and see that we now have a pick-up location in our city. I am wondering about their products. Has anyone experienced outdated food items from Angel Food Ministries?

There is another food ministry close to our house run by another group (don't remember the name) that we tried and all the boxed/canned items and the frozen chicken that we got were all outdated. I am not going to spend my money on outdated food which is why we don't participate with this other program any more.

Do you find the quality to be good/consistent with Angel Food Ministries? Also, do you find it to be a savings over the grocery store? I need to watch our food budget. We don't have any grocery stores that double coupons and we don't have anything like Aldi close by. Sometimes I can get some good deals, but it is sporadic.

Anyway, just wondering, first, about quality and, second, about value. Thank you!

I find it to save a lot of money.

We have found we don't like the breaded chicken products (they don't tend to cook up well :confused:).

It would not suit the dietary preferences of organic, whole food types. But for our diet style, it assists with keeping our food budget in line.

None of the food has been expired, btw. And I've never waited at all.

I looked at their web-site and see that we now have a pick-up location in our city. I am wondering about their products. Has anyone experienced outdated food items from Angel Food Ministries?

There is another food ministry close to our house run by another group (don't remember the name) that we tried and all the boxed/canned items and the frozen chicken that we got were all outdated. I am not going to spend my money on outdated food which is why we don't participate with this other program any more.

Do you find the quality to be good/consistent with Angel Food Ministries? Also, do you find it to be a savings over the grocery store? I need to watch our food budget. We don't have any grocery stores that double coupons and we don't have anything like Aldi close by. Sometimes I can get some good deals, but it is sporadic.

Anyway, just wondering, first, about quality and, second, about value. Thank you!

I think it might vary from place to place. My dad used this years ago (maybe 4-5 years ago, before he passed away). He was happy enough with it, but couldn't eat some of the processed stuff because of salt issues (he had heart disease). He would give that away, but enjoyed the meat and produce.

I have an uncle (dad's bro) who used it, but lived in another state. His complaint was that the produce was often "iffy." Now, I don't really know what his definition of "iffy" might be, so YMMV.

I don't think it would hurt to give it a try and evaluate for yourself.

ETA: I should mention that the church that handled distribution for my dad's pick up point always had these sheets with recipes and meal ideas to go with what was in the boxes. I don't know if that's a regular thing, but I do know that he liked that a LOT.

Edited by Audrey

We did it once and didn't get the regular box because there is too much stuff that is unhealthy or we won't eat.

We got a produce box, a meat box, and allergen free meat box. The produce and the meat box were okay, but not worth it so much. We are still eating off the allergen free box and I really like it for my son! I'll get another when we run out.

I

ETA: I should mention that the church that handled distribution for my dad's pick up point always had these sheets with recipes and meal ideas to go with what was in the boxes. I don't know if that's a regular thing, but I do know that he liked that a LOT.

The boxes come with an AFM magazine that has recipes. Other options:

http://www.menus4moms.com/store/foodministrymenu.php (must pay)

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/category/angelfood (free)

We did Angel Food for about 7 months when we were unemployed...

If you plan your meals carefully...get the fruit box and the meat box...you can save a lot of money - especially if you can't get to a place like Aldi's.

Some of the meals were pretty processed, but the fruit box and meat boxes were huge and pretty nice.

There are Holiday Boxes also and some of them were very nice.

Honestly, this was the only way we could afford food while unemployed last year. I say, Try It!

Good luck!