Menu

Help me use the "shelf stable" Angel Food Milk. And a ? about meat and vegetable loaf

We get a shelf stable milk in each Angel Food basic box. They are all now sitting on my pantry shelf. :lol: DH wants to keep them for the Obama administration inspired apocolpse, but let's not go there, k? :D:auto:

I'd like to use the milk for the benefit of my family. Keep in mind that they won't drink it; they will only drink regular, see mom buy it at the grocery store milk - "you know, real milk, mom".

So, my ideas only involve a little milk:

Macaroni and cheese (yes, from a box)

Would it make a quality cheese sauce?

French toast

I'd bake with it if I baked anything.:tongue_smilie:

I supposed I could add it to scambled eggs or omlettes for extra nutrition

Smoothies?

On the other question, one order a while back had "meat and veggie" loaf. I'm not sure what that IS, really. :lol: It looks like ground beef? Is it possibly seasoned? Is it cookable as is? I was thinking maybe I'd make meatloaf or meatballs? Anyone?

Be sneaky and half and half it with the regular milk, your kids will never know as long as they don't see you do it. I will often do that to stretch the little bit of milk i have left until i can get to the shop for more regular milk. Make sure it is icy cold too, that helps.

You could make breakfast risotto, that calls for alot of milk. I do mine in the slow cooker and prefer to use powdered milk as is is stable at room temp and wont seperate cooking for such a long time overnight.

We did everything with ultra high temp pasturized milk when we lived in Germany, from cooking to cereal to drinking. I would use it without qualm in anything that you cooked, like mac & cheese, hamburger helper, noodle packets. What about tomato soup? I would think that the soup flavor would make it not matter what kind of milk you use. Pudding?

For the meat and veggie loaf, I'd guess that it has soy added. You could use it for cheap stroganoff (brown the "meat" add a can of cream of mushroom soup, maybe some of the milk and serve over noodles). Or sloppy joes (brown the meat, add a can of spaghetti sauce and a spoonful of brown sugar and serve on buns or over toast). Mexican meal (brown meat, adding onion or maybe refried beans and serve on lettuce, tortilla or chips). (I hope none of the above suggestions come off as hopelessly out of reach. I'm trying to think of what casseroles I use ground beef/ground turkey in that don't require other expensive ingredients.)

We did everything with ultra high temp pasturized milk when we lived in Germany, from cooking to cereal to drinking. I would use it without qualm in anything that you cooked, like mac & cheese, hamburger helper, noodle packets. What about tomato soup? I would think that the soup flavor would make it not matter what kind of milk you use. Pudding?

For the meat and veggie loaf, I'd guess that it has soy added. You could use it for cheap stroganoff (brown the "meat" add a can of cream of mushroom soup, maybe some of the milk and serve over noodles). Or sloppy joes (brown the meat, add a can of spaghetti sauce and a spoonful of brown sugar and serve on buns or over toast). Mexican meal (brown meat, adding onion or maybe refried beans and serve on lettuce, tortilla or chips). (I hope none of the above suggestions come off as hopelessly out of reach. I'm trying to think of what casseroles I use ground beef/ground turkey in that don't require other expensive ingredients.)

Great ideas. And the menu suggestions are right in line with our budget and types of meals!

A cream based soup would be good with the milk (I always use milk instead of cream). Maybe a baked potato soup or a corn chowder. If you don't want to bother cooking with it you could just add it to a gallon of milk from the store when the kids weren't looking. If you did 3/4 milk to 1/4 shelf stable milk I doubt they would notice.

Rice pudding, bread pudding. Those both take a good bit of milk. Flan, custard, and pudding all use a lot of milk. Biscuits and milk gravy for breakfast. I make my oatmeal and grits with milk instead of water. It's my favorite way. They are much creamier and more nutritious. I make a desert with gelatin and milk. You make 2 small boxes of colored gelatin with the jigglers recipe. Once they are set you cut them up into sqares and put it into a 9x13 inch pan scattered around. Then you make milk gelatin with 1 envelope plain gelatin and 2 cups of milk. You pour this into the pan and let it set. May favorite type of jello to use is orange. Like a dreamsicle. Yum.:D

I also agree with the poster about using it in your cooking. I use dried milk in anything that is cooked because they never know the difference.

How about some ice cream. I imagine that it would taste a lot like the ice cream that you make with condensed milk, right? Maybe use half the shelf stable stuff and half regular milk.

I also like the idea of mixing in half and half in the jug. I have done it with dried milk before.

I have a similar dilemma when I need buttermilk for a recipe but don't need the whole quart. I have taken to freezing it in 8 oz batches which are a convenient size for most recipes. Don't know if you'd find that helpful.

When we got the Angel food boxes, I did use that milk mostly for baking and putting in my own coffee. I also saved it for picnics, travel, or "Oh no, we're out of milk!" emergencies. I was also going to say bread pudding, rice pudding and chowders, but others beat me to it!